Windows 10 is pissing me off.

Double check all your drivers are installed properly in device manager or possibly just go to windows 10 LTSB if that will work.

Windows 10 is however slow for many people.

You buy a laptop or desktop from a big box place etc and the bloat and settings are horrendous , you have to work on it to really be fast.

It’s not out of the gate, but get it trimmed down and acting right and it’s pretty snappy.

But it’s fuggin resource heavy. It’s made a creap in the hardware you need , but truthfully so have all the other os in the past also.

If you looked at windows 95, and compared it in the same way to vista or 7 you’d say the same.

Is what it is. 8gb ram is what 4 used to be.

4 was what 2 used to be etc etc.

All the way down to the mb ram sticks and 386 processor, software forces hardware beef-up to keep up speed wise.
Personally, I have never had any issues with Windows 10 being slow. I was even surprised at how sharp it was when I installed it the first time. The boot times were significantly faster than Windows 7.

The bloatware is ridiculous when you buy a new computer in store. It's always better to do a clean install.
What do you mean? The control panel is still there and looks just about the same.
I never said it wasn't. I said they are trying to hide it and push their settings app instead.

They removed the control panel icon from the menu in recent updates. The only way to know it exists is to type it in the search bar.

What he said is true for prebuilt desktops, too, generally speaking, except that-- using keyboards as an example-- Apple doesn't even try to compete against the best mechanical keyboards. The Mac Pro line is finally due to get an update this year (after six years). You can't get the same absolute processing power, and you can't get the same bang-for-your-buck with their desktops; even if you control for quality.
Ain't that the truth.

Apple higher-end default offering:
https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/mac-pro/8-core-3.0ghz

Choose your new Mac Pro.
8-Core and Dual GPU
  • 3.0GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 processor
  • 16GB 1866MHz DDR3 ECC memory
  • Dual AMD FirePro D700 with 6GB GDDR5 VRAM each
  • 256GB PCIe-based SSD1
$3,999.00

Random /r/buildapc build offering:
https://www.reddit.com
/r/buildapc/comments/bap4jb/extremely_quiet_i99900k_evga_rtx_2080_build/

Type Item Price
CPU
Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $509.99 @ Walmart
CPU Cooler be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler $88.09 @ B&H
Motherboard Asus - PRIME Z390-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $189.99 @ B&H
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $160.86 @ Newegg
Storage Intel - 660p Series 2 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $219.99 @ B&H
Video Card EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB Black Video Card $729.99 @ B&H
Case Fractal Design - Define C ATX Mid Tower Case $107.22 @ Newegg Business
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA NEX 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $109.89 @ OutletPC
Case Fan be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM 140mm Fan $28.85 @ Amazon
Case Fan *be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM 50.5 CFM 120mm Fan $21.43 @ SuperBiiz

Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $2186.30

Anyone trying to argue that Macs are good value for an informed computer user is just deceptive and straight up wrong.

Last edited:
I couldn’t update the os, because of computer build date. Even though my hardware was fine. And it was to the point where it wouldn’t do anything because the os was out of date

If it had been built one month later, I could have mine was the cut off date for os update.

I had upgraded some of the hardware before, and was about to upgrade it some more.

I found workaround hacks to update the os, online but alas that didn’t fix it and actually broke it.

My specific WiFi adapter in the laptop doesn’t have drivers for the new os, so I’d need to grade the damn WiFi adapter too.

If it had been any of the other ones that could have come on my machine, the update hacks would have worked.

I spent about a fucking month trying to work around this shit, but alas it just couldn’t be done.

In comparison I just updated and beefed up my moms hand me down hp laptop that was years older, got 10 working right on it and it’s actually not a bad machine now.

It’s plently fast now for any normal computer tasks, and it will even take decently on my windows 10 Xbox live account on it.

Fuck apple.

Then there is all the fucking iPhone shit I was going through to the point where I bricked my iPhone and now it’s basically a nicer Razer now with what it will do keep apple off of it , because of their convoluted iTunes backup bullshit.

So my old phone became an iPad basically to run the apps when I need them, which I’ve found i don’t actually really need anymore, and my new phone well now it’s a phone.
Lol yeah that sounds stressful. I hate stupid iPhones too. I got one for free from Virgin and gave it to my mom, not a fan of IOS at all.

I was working on a 95 machine the other day to get it working to see if it would work for a retro gaming machine, I didn’t try to connect it to the internet , but I’m sure the browsers would give you all kinds of Hell.

They give me enough hell on vista on an old machine i have as that is
In honesty I just upgraded to windows 95 from 3.1. Figured it was finally time. Windows 95 still runs 70 some percent of Pentagon pcs so its good enough for me

Last edited:
Ain't that the truth.

Apple higher-end default offering:
https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/mac-pro/8-core-3.0ghz

Choose your new Mac Pro.
8-Core and Dual GPU
  • 3.0GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 processor
  • 16GB 1866MHz DDR3 ECC memory
  • Dual AMD FirePro D700 with 6GB GDDR5 VRAM each
  • 256GB PCIe-based SSD1
$3,999.00

Random /r/buildapc build offering:
https://www.reddit.com
/r/buildapc/comments/bap4jb/extremely_quiet_i99900k_evga_rtx_2080_build/

Type Item Price
CPU
Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $509.99 @ Walmart
CPU Cooler be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler $88.09 @ B&H
Motherboard Asus - PRIME Z390-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $189.99 @ B&H
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $160.86 @ Newegg
Storage Intel - 660p Series 2 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $219.99 @ B&H
Video Card EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB Black Video Card $729.99 @ B&H
Case Fractal Design - Define C ATX Mid Tower Case $107.22 @ Newegg Business
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA NEX 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $109.89 @ OutletPC
Case Fan be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM 140mm Fan $28.85 @ Amazon
Case Fan *be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM 50.5 CFM 120mm Fan $21.43 @ SuperBiiz

Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $2186.30

Anyone trying to argue that Macs are good value for an informed computer user is just deceptive and straight up wrong.
Wait, there are actually some people that argue that MACs are better value than PCs?

Must be the same people that line up every year when a new iPhone comes out.

Not had any big issues with Windows 10, but i have to 'de-crap' it to get rid of all the bloatware.

Unplug it then plug it back in again

See if that works!

i just swapped my w10 ssd into a newer pc, everything adjusted great except w10 is no longer activated

so i need a new key or a good trick....

i just swapped my w10 ssd into a newer pc, everything adjusted great except w10 is no longer activated

so i need a new key or a good trick....
Call them and tell them your mobo burnt up and you had to replace it and now windows won’t work lol.

Good luck.

just swapped in an rtx 2070 OC and runs nice on my win10.

Absolutely for cost, if you factor in quality of components. I don't have my Macbook Pro pulled apart right now, but I'll show you the difference between a computer with high quality components (a Thinkpad) and one with low quality components (a high spec ASUS).

These are the keyboards for a Thinkpad X230 (top) and an X220 (bottom).

uNtoRwS.jpg

This is the keyboard from the ASUS:

CwNactu.jpg

One is the same as the other, right?

Let's take a closer look. This is the X230 keyboard backing. Notice that it is a solid metal subframe.

cKJSMsU.jpg

The ASUS, not so much. A cheap, paper thin foil backing on top of a plastic shell. What's the big deal, you ask?

Here is one of the Thinkpad keyboards when held edge on.
OOTJVJR.jpg

Here's the ASUS keyboard held edge on.
MI1J6Sm.jpg

Notice how floppy it is? Nice components versus cheap components. The Thinkpad keyboard is solid and underneath the keycaps, come with high quality NMB domes, for a superior typing feel, which results in faster, more accurate typing. Computer programmers swear by Thinkpad keyboards, for good reason. This ASUS, on the other hand, has much cheaper Chicony rubber domes, resulting in a mushy typing feel with significantly less key travel.

Here are the hinges on the ASUS:
6m9iwZg.jpg

Notice where they snapped from metal fatigue? A very common problem with consumer laptops everywhere. On the other hand, my Mac and my Thinkpad hinges are as good as the day I bought them. Mac and Thinkpad hinges simply don't fail.

When you take apart a computer, pay attention to the little things and you'll immediately see the differences between high quality components and low quality components. They'll jump out at you. These things all might look the same but they are not the same. Displays are another good quality metric. Even before Apple switched over to IPS only displays, Macs used much higher quality TN displays that had much better viewing angles, vibrancy and color accuracy except for all but the best displays on PC laptops. Keyboards, displays, trackpads, buttons, hinges, subframes, etc etc etc - there is a huge difference and you get what you pay for.

I could go on all night about this but I'll stop here.

I have an Ideapad Y700 and the hinge has squeaked since day one.

Call them and tell them your mobo burnt up and you had to replace it and now windows won’t work lol.

Good luck.
i was considering doing exactly that. perhaps i will

I have an Ideapad Y700 and the hinge has squeaked since day one.
Ideapads and Thinkpads are completely different beasts. The Ideapad line are consumer machines built with lesser quality components that the Thinkpad line, which are built like tanks and meant to be field serviceable.

Damn, having powerful hardware but unable to utilise it. This is why I gave up on pc gaming. Just the nvidia driver trouble I had once upon a time was enough to change me.

<DisgustingHHH>

Windows 7 Masterrace checking in

I use Windows 10 now; after a week and installing a 3rd party start menu I stopped bitching

If there's a way to go back to Windows 8 safely I would.

just found out u can still upgrade from 7 to 10 for freeeeeee
it worked

Absolutely for cost, if you factor in quality of components. I don't have my Macbook Pro pulled apart right now, but I'll show you the difference between a computer with high quality components (a Thinkpad) and one with low quality components (a high spec ASUS).

These are the keyboards for a Thinkpad X230 (top) and an X220 (bottom).

uNtoRwS.jpg

This is the keyboard from the ASUS:

CwNactu.jpg

One is the same as the other, right?

Let's take a closer look. This is the X230 keyboard backing. Notice that it is a solid metal subframe.

cKJSMsU.jpg

The ASUS, not so much. A cheap, paper thin foil backing on top of a plastic shell. What's the big deal, you ask?

Here is one of the Thinkpad keyboards when held edge on.
OOTJVJR.jpg

Here's the ASUS keyboard held edge on.
MI1J6Sm.jpg

Notice how floppy it is? Nice components versus cheap components. The Thinkpad keyboard is solid and underneath the keycaps, come with high quality NMB domes, for a superior typing feel, which results in faster, more accurate typing. Computer programmers swear by Thinkpad keyboards, for good reason. This ASUS, on the other hand, has much cheaper Chicony rubber domes, resulting in a mushy typing feel with significantly less key travel.

Here are the hinges on the ASUS:
6m9iwZg.jpg

Notice where they snapped from metal fatigue? A very common problem with consumer laptops everywhere. On the other hand, my Mac and my Thinkpad hinges are as good as the day I bought them. Mac and Thinkpad hinges simply don't fail.

When you take apart a computer, pay attention to the little things and you'll immediately see the differences between high quality components and low quality components. They'll jump out at you. These things all might look the same but they are not the same. Displays are another good quality metric. Even before Apple switched over to IPS only displays, Macs used much higher quality TN displays that had much better viewing angles, vibrancy and color accuracy except for all but the best displays on PC laptops. Keyboards, displays, trackpads, buttons, hinges, subframes, etc etc etc - there is a huge difference and you get what you pay for.

I could go on all night about this but I'll stop here.
I've had two Asus laptops and they are absolute shit. Both had hinge issues like in your pics and couldn't keep the screen up. I eventually got a monitor and and keyboard fulltime for the one. The other was only like $300 and lasted 3 years so I just threw it away as I have a work laptop which is good for 95% of what I want to do anyway.

So I just bought a Geforce 2080 and realized I needed to update my Windows 10 pro to the latest build in order for it to work. I decided instead I would just do a clean install, do all the updates and hopefully all would be good. After the last updates, I got my wish and it recognized the card.

However, now, I'm noticing a bunch of issues with the latest build. My Chrome is painfully slow and at least half the time not even responding. Geforce Experience won't open at all. My computer as a whole has become slow. I'm noticing the number of windows processes has gone from high 20's, low 30's in the previous build, to mid 80's. I have a 8700k, fiber internet, 16GB of 4133mhz GSkill ram, and this just doesn't seem to make sense on a clean Windows, fully updated install. What am I missing?

Buy a Mac then

Ideapads and Thinkpads are completely different beasts. The Ideapad line are consumer machines built with lesser quality components that the Thinkpad line, which are built like tanks and meant to be field serviceable.

Love Thinkpads. I have 3 of them. Amazing keyboards too.

Back