Windows 10 is pissing me off.

Apples are generally far superior machines to PCs. Only unsophisticated monkeys would think otherwise.

Not for cost, so in reality, no. If you buy a prebuilt PC and have no idea what you're doing, and also don't value money, maybe.

Why do you need two operating systems?

Because there are applications that are OS specific and/or there are things that are much easier or more powerful on one OS than on another.

I have a multiboot setup on my my Mac with MacOS, Ubuntu and Windows 7. On my Thinkpad, I run Win7, Win10, Ubuntu Linux (primary) and a secondary Linux distro for things i want to play with.

Only on a Mac can you run all three major OSes.

Not for cost, so in reality, no. If you buy a prebuilt PC and have no idea what you're doing, and also don't value money, maybe.

Absolutely for cost, if you factor in quality of components. I don't have my Macbook Pro pulled apart right now, but I'll show you the difference between a computer with high quality components (a Thinkpad) and one with low quality components (a high spec ASUS).

These are the keyboards for a Thinkpad X230 (top) and an X220 (bottom).

uNtoRwS.jpg

This is the keyboard from the ASUS:

CwNactu.jpg

One is the same as the other, right?

Let's take a closer look. This is the X230 keyboard backing. Notice that it is a solid metal subframe.

cKJSMsU.jpg

The ASUS, not so much. A cheap, paper thin foil backing on top of a plastic shell. What's the big deal, you ask?

Here is one of the Thinkpad keyboards when held edge on.
OOTJVJR.jpg

Here's the ASUS keyboard held edge on.
MI1J6Sm.jpg

Notice how floppy it is? Nice components versus cheap components. The Thinkpad keyboard is solid and underneath the keycaps, come with high quality NMB domes, for a superior typing feel, which results in faster, more accurate typing. Computer programmers swear by Thinkpad keyboards, for good reason. This ASUS, on the other hand, has much cheaper Chicony rubber domes, resulting in a mushy typing feel with significantly less key travel.

Here are the hinges on the ASUS:
6m9iwZg.jpg

Notice where they snapped from metal fatigue? A very common problem with consumer laptops everywhere. On the other hand, my Mac and my Thinkpad hinges are as good as the day I bought them. Mac and Thinkpad hinges simply don't fail.

When you take apart a computer, pay attention to the little things and you'll immediately see the differences between high quality components and low quality components. They'll jump out at you. These things all might look the same but they are not the same. Displays are another good quality metric. Even before Apple switched over to IPS only displays, Macs used much higher quality TN displays that had much better viewing angles, vibrancy and color accuracy except for all but the best displays on PC laptops. Keyboards, displays, trackpads, buttons, hinges, subframes, etc etc etc - there is a huge difference and you get what you pay for.

I could go on all night about this but I'll stop here.

Does the point escape you? Obviously it doesn't suck because you have it because you need it because it's better for what you need than anything else.

I applaud your dual boot setup, and I deeply appreciate everything Linux, but keep it grounded. Windows outperforms Linux in pretty much every non-gaming software benchmark I've ever seen, too, has more stability, more simplified support, and is just generally more geared to be user-friendly. Linux is incredible, and best of all its free, but I weary of people taking Windows for granted. Grab a bluetooth keyboard, an Amazon Fire tablet, and go use that for a few weeks. That's the world we could live in.

The build update rollouts and forced updates have been a nightmare the past few years with Windows 10. I won't deny that. They need to get a grip on it. I'm optimistic the fact they abandoned forced updates is a good sign.

I dont need to use Windows at all. The only reason I have it is for the occasional game. Basically I use it for zhits n giggles. All the basic/regular/important computer stuff I use Ubuntu. And even then I use Windows 7 because its more stable and lightweight than 8 or 10. Of course, thats not to mention all the spyware/bloatware/automatic updates/reconfiguring your whole computer without you knowing it zhit that Windows 10/8 also try to implement.

And youre right Linux is free and it has tons of free software that perform just as good or better than paid Windows counterparts. As far as stability, Id say Linux is more stable. Plus its lighter weight and less resource-intensive. You also mostly dont have to worry about all the viruses/malware/ransomware that hackers use to target Windows with as well. All good reasons to use it. Im just saying their are other alternatives to Windows out there, and if youre not ready to give up Windows you can always dual-boot just to try out Ubuntu or another OS.

Except Ubuntu doesn't support half the stuff that Windows does.

Depends on what youre using your computer for I guess. But there are tons of free software alternatives to stuff thats on Windows. Libre Office, for example.

Absolutely for cost, if you factor in quality of components. I don't have my Macbook Pro pulled apart right now, but I'll show you the difference between a computer with high quality components (a Thinkpad) and one with low quality components (a high spec ASUS).

edit

I could go on all night about this but I'll stop here.

I mean, that's a laptop and specific to that. I don't use a laptop at this time so the flimsiness of a laptop keyboard or the viewing angle is of no importance to me as I use separate peripherals. You're also going to pay for that increased quality for your more durable laptop, you're not "getting a good deal" or anything like that. And you're likely going to pay more for replacement parts and service for it's lifespan as well.

I mean, that's a laptop and specific to that. I don't use a laptop at this time so the flimsiness of a laptop keyboard or the viewing angle is of no importance to me as I use separate peripherals. You're also going to pay for that increased quality for your more durable laptop, you're not "getting a good deal" or anything like that. And you're likely going to pay more for replacement parts and service for it's lifespan as well.
What he said is true for prebuilt desktops, too, generally speaking, except that-- using keyboards as an example-- Apple doesn't even try to compete against the best mechanical keyboards. The Mac Pro line is finally due to get an update this year (after six years). You can't get the same absolute processing power, and you can't get the same bang-for-your-buck with their desktops; even if you control for quality.

But the real disease is MacOS.
I dont need to use Windows at all. The only reason I have it is for the occasional game. Basically I use it for zhits n giggles. All the basic/regular/important computer stuff I use Ubuntu. And even then I use Windows 7 because its more stable and lightweight than 8 or 10. Of course, thats not to mention all the spyware/bloatware/automatic updates/reconfiguring your whole computer without you knowing it zhit that Windows 10/8 also try to implement.

And youre right Linux is free and it has tons of free software that perform just as good or better than paid Windows counterparts. As far as stability, Id say Linux is more stable. Plus its lighter weight and less resource-intensive. You also mostly dont have to worry about all the viruses/malware/ransomware that hackers use to target Windows with as well. All good reasons to use it. Im just saying their are other alternatives to Windows out there, and if youre not ready to give up Windows you can always dual-boot just to try out Ubuntu or another OS.
You mean like you? You're not ready to give up Windows. An OS is only as good as its software, and the software is on Windows. That isn't just true for games. It's stuff like browsers, too:
https://www.slant.co/versus/5225/5230/~google-chrome_vs_chromium

This is what escapes you.

I had my last fuckig straw with Mac last year, I had to use windows and pc at work but all personal was Mac.

I went back to pc and windows and have never been happier.

There is some tweaking with windows to get it where I like it, and fought that for a bit but it’s been all good since.

Use what makes you happy, we all have needs and desires and they don’t always match.

Because one system is the end all for YOU doesn’t mean it sucks and is worthless.

My iPhone isn’t even iTunes account set-up, which means no apps, No nothing.

It makes phone calls, texts and uses the interwebs

I’m a happy happy man.
What was your last straw with Mac? What happened? Or was just the pain in the butt of having to deal with two systems?

I use Windows 10 now; after a week and installing a 3rd party start menu I stopped bitching
Make sure to go in your settings and turn off all the privacy related settings.

Windows 10 is invasive as fuck.

I hate how Windows went the tablet route. They are now trying to hide the classic control panel with the shitty settings apps which doesn't have half the options the control panel has.

Also, I hate how they have replaced all the software with tablet friendly apps.

I downloaded a script from the internet a while back that deleted all the useless built in Windows apps that are impossible to uninstall but most of them came back after recent updates.

I hate how we have less and less control over our system and that these updates are forced upon us.

Good call on that. But yes, Windows 10 is extremely cumbersome for your hardware. I assume you have a solid state hard drive? If not, that will bottleneck your shit on Windows 10 no matter how great the rest of your hardware is.
As much negative there is to say about Windows 10, one positive thing that can be said is that it's fast.

It's no doubt the fastest Windows OS to date. So I don't know what you're talking about. Even without an SSD, the boot times are really quick.

Never had any issues with Windows 10 being slow.

What was your last straw with Mac? What happened? Or was just the pain in the butt of having to deal with two systems?
I couldn’t update the os, because of computer build date. Even though my hardware was fine. And it was to the point where it wouldn’t do anything because the os was out of date

If it had been built one month later, I could have mine was the cut off date for os update.

I had upgraded some of the hardware before, and was about to upgrade it some more.

I found workaround hacks to update the os, online but alas that didn’t fix it and actually broke it.

My specific WiFi adapter in the laptop doesn’t have drivers for the new os, so I’d need to grade the damn WiFi adapter too.

If it had been any of the other ones that could have come on my machine, the update hacks would have worked.

I spent about a fucking month trying to work around this shit, but alas it just couldn’t be done.

In comparison I just updated and beefed up my moms hand me down hp laptop that was years older, got 10 working right on it and it’s actually not a bad machine now.

It’s plently fast now for any normal computer tasks, and it will even take decently on my windows 10 Xbox live account on it.

Fuck apple.

Then there is all the fucking iPhone shit I was going through to the point where I bricked my iPhone and now it’s basically a nicer Razer now with what it will do keep apple off of it , because of their convoluted iTunes backup bullshit.

So my old phone became an iPad basically to run the apps when I need them, which I’ve found i don’t actually really need anymore, and my new phone well now it’s a phone.

Never left windows 95 ........ if aint broke....

As much negative there is to say about Windows 10, one positive thing that can be said is that it's fast.

It's no doubt the fastest Windows OS to date. So I don't know what you're talking about. Even without an SSD, the boot times are really quick.

Never had any issues with Windows 10 being slow.
Windows 10 is however slow for many people.

You buy a laptop or desktop from a big box place etc and the bloat and settings are horrendous , you have to work on it to really be fast.

It’s not out of the gate, but get it trimmed down and acting right and it’s pretty snappy.

But it’s fuggin resource heavy. It’s made a creap in the hardware you need , but truthfully so have all the other os in the past also.

If you looked at windows 95, and compared it in the same way to vista or 7 you’d say the same.

Is what it is. 8gb ram is what 4 used to be.

4 was what 2 used to be etc etc.

All the way down to the mb ram sticks and 386 processor, software forces hardware beef-up to keep up speed wise.

Never left windows 95 ........ if aint broke....
I was working on a 95 machine the other day to get it working to see if it would work for a retro gaming machine, I didn’t try to connect it to the internet , but I’m sure the browsers would give you all kinds of Hell.

They give me enough hell on vista on an old machine i have as that is

I refuse to get Apple now because of their lower end hardware sold for premium prices and their desperate milking of their customers for every dime. I don't like their business practices.

I hate how Windows went the tablet route. They are now trying to hide the classic control panel with the shitty settings apps which doesn't have half the options the control panel has.

Also, I hate how they have replaced all the software with tablet friendly apps.

I downloaded a script from the internet a while back that deleted all the useless built in Windows apps that are impossible to uninstall but most of them came back after recent updates.

I hate how we have less and less control over our system and that these updates are forced upon us.

What do you mean? The control panel is still there and looks just about the same.

Windows 10 is however slow for many people.

You buy a laptop or desktop from a big box place etc and the bloat and settings are horrendous , you have to work on it to really be fast.

It’s not out of the gate, but get it trimmed down and acting right and it’s pretty snappy.

But it’s fuggin resource heavy. It’s made a creap in the hardware you need , but truthfully so have all the other os in the past also.

If you looked at windows 95, and compared it in the same way to vista or 7 you’d say the same.

Is what it is. 8gb ram is what 4 used to be.

4 was what 2 used to be etc etc.

All the way down to the mb ram sticks and 386 processor, software forces hardware beef-up to keep up speed wise.

It's pretty smart on how it utilizes RAM though. I've been using a laptop with 4 GB on Win 10 for a couple of years. It rarely gets bogged down. I can have Chrome with like 6 tabs open, Office running, and another app or two and it's fine.

Back