Wind Choke question.

Legoxegox

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, just a quick question. The other day I was rolling with my training partner, and (I can't remember if I was in his full guard, or half guard) I applied a wind choke using my forearms. I put my right arm underneath his head, tucking the back of his neck between my bicep and forearm, I then laid my left forearm over his neck and locked my arms together around his throat, applying light pressure. He was able to escape from the choke after what seemed like only a second or two. From what I've read about this choke, everyone usually says that is very distracting for your opponent, and painful, but isn't very effective, which I found to be quite true. However, my training partner Josh, even though he was able to escape without injury, was complaining about how it hurt, and the legality of it. My question is, do you guys think that I should continue applying it on him, and possibly him applying it on me, so that we can combat it? Or should we just never use it to avoid injury, and also, is it legal in mma fights?

Legal but ineffective as a submission. Mostly just annoying and painful. Not something I like to do to my training partners. If I'm able to apply that "choke" I'm probably in mount anyway and I should be looking for a higher percentage way to finish, like an armbar or some type of head-and-arm choke.

There is a couple of legit forearm chokes that work well as either a distraction to setup another submission or transition, or as a submission in their own right.

My instructor uses one from side mount, where he traps the near side arm, under his shin, and traps the far side arm between his far arm and head (top-side crucifix), and then grips the far shoulder and pulls it down to expose the neck, and use the other arm to forearm choke you, it's brutal and dificult to defend.

also, the sub mentioned above sets up the far-side americana if they bring their arm in front of your face to defend.

Back