Win-win situation for Diaz

fractal

93andbeyond.com
@red
Reaction score
Nate makes a boat-load of cash (while Conor takes the ship).
If he wins, his stock sky-rockets. Probably gets a shot at RDA.
If he loses, he is still 2-3 wins away from a title shot. And he can fall-back on not having a full camp, which is a legitimate reason.

I'm not a Diaz hater (loved it when he came back against Johnson) or a Conor hugger (rooted for Aldo and RDA). Although I will admit his KO of Aldo was amazing and made me believe in his abilities.

But I don't see how even with a full camp, Nate can beat Mcgregor. Conor doesn't brawl, he keeps distance and counters. Gets in, hits, and gets out. He does get tagged, but I don't see Nate having the power to KO him. And I can't see Nate taking Conor down either for a sub. The only way is if Nate catches Conor on the button, drops him and takes his back.

Getting beaten by the 145lb champ manlet is a lose situation

Enough to be rolling Cheech & Chong sized doobies for the next couple years.

Getting beaten by the 145lb champ manlet is a lose situation

So now Mcdouchebag is a manlet huh?? jesus. I can't wait to see somebody kicking Conor's ass. Diaz can fuck him up...Conor, like Diaz said, has been fighting smaller guys. I want to see how he handle guys his size or bigger to see if he is really the shit.

Or you can look at him as the 155 contender. And Diaz is a 155 fighter who is not in camp.
Yep Diaz in press conf kep talking about how little the 145 ers are. Midgets etc. So if he loses to one..

Diaz should be the favorite
I think so too. Way too many people counting him out, but he has reach, sick subs, decent hands, and throws a lot of volume that takes guys out of their game.

To the extent that losing a fight conducted in a cage could ever be considered a "win", of course this is a win/win for Diaz.

The guy is 30 and has fought professionally 28 times. He should be exiting his athletic prime and his ceiling is already well established. Nick is a win one, lose one type of fighter against top tier opponents.

Or to put it another way, time is running out on Nick's career and he isn't going to get better at this point. His physical skills are deteriorating and guys in the sport for this long don't develop useful new techniques. Every MMA fight has a naturally large amount of variance based on relative health (injuries), style match ups and just all the ways that a fight can be won or lost. So while Nick could conceivably go on a multi fight win streak, more likely then not he will start to lose more consistently than he has in the past.

Fighting Conor with effectively no notice (let's be honest, Nick is going to be spending the next 10 days do promotion and getting to the fight, not training hard) means that he gets huge points just for showing up. Conor is the show right now and brings the eyeballs. Nick gets publicity and , even with no prep, a winnable fight. Plus he probably gets a poker chip from Zuffa for stepping up (ask Sonnen how valuable that can be and Sonnen didn't even have to go through with the last notice fight against Jones).

If he loses, he has a ready made excuse, a higher profile, and an employer who openly plays favorites and feels like they owe him one.

If he wins, he gets most of the above plus a potential title shot that he is unlikely to earn through a traditional process.

I think so too. Way too many people counting him out, but he has reach, sick subs, decent hands, and throws a lot of volume that takes guys out of their game.
TS said something that could happen. I am not necessarily counting him out, but I said before Conor will counter Diaz tryin to swarm in. Neither man I don't think will try for a take down. If for some reason it hits the ground, Nate will be better off in bottom position to possibly lock in a triangle. I don't care for Nate much, but just make a good fight please.

You forgot one very important thing: if he loses, he will become Conor's son for eternity. His entire legacy will be marked by that loss and he will be unable to escape the insane amount of trash talk Conor will deliver from that point on.

Diaz has in fact a lot to lose. With a loss, he will no longer be gangsta, just another victim on the real gangsta's list.

At least he will get one thing: Conor's blessing.

Back