Win streak vs. title defenses

cassius84

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I know alot of people downgrade Khabib among the GOATS by saying he doesn't have the title defense streak as say DJ, Silva, GSP og Jones. But I think people forget that it's very different from each weight class. To put things into context.

In the UFC
DJ was 1-0 at Flw before his first title fight.
Silva was 1-0 at MW before his first title fight.
GSP had a 2-0 win streak before the first title fight, 5-0 the second and 2-0 before the 3rd.
Jones went 6-1 with a DQ loss in the middle before his first title fight.

Khabib had to go 9-0 before his first title fight! I know its easier to get a longer win streak then a title defense streak. At the same time it's easier to rack up title defenses when you start earlier in a win streak. The more fights you have, the more tape is there for study and the bigger the target gets. Its insanly difficult to win 10-15 fights or more in a row in the UFC without any slip ups. A slip, a cut, fighting injured, etc can all end a nice streak. By going 13-0 in the UFC and 29-0 overall with losing 2 rounds total, no cuts and no knockdowns is just insanly impressive. He may not be the GOAT but there has never been a more dominent fighter alive.

Khabib's case is unfortunately one that of "What If's"

Khabibs accomplishments cannot be taken away from him, and his Dominance definitely earns him a spot as one of the All Time Greats, ESPECIALLY at 155, but his lack of activity and how little he fought whether it be because of Ramadan, or Injuries, will always be brought up against him.

He'll go down in History, make no mistake, but yeah his Ceiling to many still remains unknown despite DOMINATING all of his opposition. Really weird and unfortunate position to be in.

No matter how you slice it title defenses are harder than win streaks.

Everything just feels bigger when there's a title attached to your fights. You're more heavily promoted, more money, you're either the main or co main, more eye balls watching, 5 rounds. Just more pressure to actually win.

More about top 10 and top 5 wins. What good is a win streak if 2/3 are against nobodies?

And no just because you're in the ufc doesn't mean it's a quality win

It’s about elite wins. If Khabib had elite wins yet little title defenses I wouldn’t care but you can’t have 3 maybe 4 elite wins that get called the GOAT. Mcgregor has the same and he’s not top 20.

Really wish we could've seen what he would have done, had he been more active. Hell i would be happy if just the Ferg fight wold have happened

Back