Will we see Jon Jones have a late career skid a la Anderson, Chuck, etc?

If it happens, it won't erase this

tenor.gif
Cold blooded.

Nah he is the floyd mayweather of mma he will only pick the favourable match ups and duck all the big boys

And because Dana is pushing si hard for hin to be the GOAT of MMA, he will allow him to do it.

Jon is going to have maybe about 5 big fights and then retire with millions.

It really depends. He's strong enough, smart enough, etc... to adapt (even naturally) to who he's fighting. Allegedly, he doesn't even really train anymore which is why his last fights were so close (let's just assume that he won since that's what the record says.)

The problem is that he hasn't really evolved, or even worked on sharpening his skill set while every high level fighter in the world who was able to make 205 lbs was (to a certain extent) training to beat Jon. Eventually everyone's going to catch up. If he goes back to evolving like he did even up to his 2nd fight with DC, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes on a tear and eventually wins the HW title and retires basically undefeated (minus that DQ vs. Hamill from years back that actually still got him one step closer to a title shot.)

*Edit: But it's really all up to him. If he stays the same Jon Jones, just bigger and stronger, he may still accomplish all of the above, but it probably won't be in anywhere near as devastating of a fashion as his first 10 or so fights in the UFC.*

Everyone loses. It's inevitable. I personally think Jones already lost to Gustafson. The bigger question to me is how Jones will react when he officially loses. Given the type of person he is, I can picture the loss crushing his extremely fragile ego. I imagine if he lost once, he'd be the type of guy to go off the rails and start losing more and more frequently.

Fedor is a very controversial fighter on these forums, but I think all of us can agree that he handled his loss to Werdum in the best possible way. "The one who doesn't fall, doesn't stand up" is a legit awesome quote that I think about in day-to-day life. Can anyone POSSIBLY imagine Jones having that same kind of attitude?
Khabib proved that not everyone loses. It’s rare, but there are champions that retired undefeated throughout sports history.

Khabib proved that not everyone loses. It’s rare, but there are champions that retired undefeated throughout sports history.

Khabib did pull out of a number of fights due to injuries. I'm not blaming him, just wondering how many fighters' careers have suffered from not being afforded (for whatever reason) the same luxury.
You know, needing $ to eat so they fight, getting their ass kicked and injured worse in the fight, getting subsequent unfavorable matchmaking from their orgs if they pulled out, etc....

Jones is way better than any of the HWs, he's probably gonna go on to be the best LHW and best HW of all time.

I could definitely see Jones losing a couple of times. He hasn't looked nearly as dominant in his last two fights as he did a couple of years ago.

Depends if he wins/loses against Izzy or not. Jones has a somewhat legit reason for losing to bigger and stronger fighters since they seem to neutralize a lot of his strengths and have better durability to walk through his attacks, but Jones would have no excuse for losing to Izzy.

I see Jones beating Stipe and other HWs via distance control and unorthodox moves that are rarely seen in HW, but Izzy is a completely different story because the guy is just as cerebral as he is and can light ppl up with frightening accuracy.

If he's really going up to hw, then yes for sure.

In a tweet lately in his everlasting flame war with DC, he said "by the time I'm 40 I'll be five years into my retirement." Maybe he won't stick around long enough for the decline and fall to happen. As it is, it seems his plan is to put a lid on his LHW career while he's still undefeated (except by the ref) there, so he'll always have that to boast no matter what happens next. Any losses in new division have excuses readymade—"this isn't my real weight class" yadda yadda.

No, he will retire while still on top, or ala GSP who retired when the game clearly caught up with him but he still avoided defeat, Jones hasnt had that moment yet, even if he had close fights and arguably lost to Gus, he crushed him in the rematch, Santos and Reyes fights were not like that.

if he fights Ngannou, yes, he will go on a skid. he'll be skidding across the octagon after a big left uppercut.

The short answer is yes (assuming he stays around past his prime). But for me it's always hard to envision a skid for an all time great even though I've witnessed it countless times in the past.

Jon Jones losing 2-3 in a row.

Getting finished 2-3 times in a row.

Being the co-main event.

Fighting in a three round fight.

Opening the main card.

Headlining a Fight Night card.

Being the prelim main event.

How far will it go?
He said he plan on retiring around 35

his move to HW comes at a perfect timing. For a while the hard hitting HW were dangerous for him, but right now I think the more pacey and athletic LHW's are actually a bigger danger as he is slowing down. It's better for him to deal with the one punch KO chance at HW, in a division where he still has the technical edge and probably the pace edge as well as the reach than dealing with LHW where he is becoming the slowest guy in the octogon. I think he takes out Ngannou and Stipe, I think Israel beats him.

I actually think Israel loses to Stipe and Ngannou but beats Jones and Jones beats Stipe and Ngannou but loses to Israel.

Doubt it
He’s not like Chuck fedor wand nog they were badass

Jones will hop out at right time and I don’t blame him

health over fame

Israel loses to Stipe because of Wrestling, loses to Ngannou by eventually being caught. Jones destroys both of them from the clinch. But against Israel he won't be able to deal with the speed and pace.

Back