Will we see Jon Jones have a late career skid a la Anderson, Chuck, etc?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Not A Real Fan, Nov 21, 2020 at 9:43 AM.

1. Not A Real Fan The Lucifer Alpha Slayer Yellow Card

The short answer is yes (assuming he stays around past his prime). But for me it's always hard to envision a skid for an all time great even though I've witnessed it countless times in the past.

Jon Jones losing 2-3 in a row.

Getting finished 2-3 times in a row.

Being the co-main event.

Fighting in a three round fight.

Opening the main card.

Headlining a Fight Night card.

Being the prelim main event.

How far will it go?

cagerageforever likes this.
  2. Sweater of AV Gold Belt

Won't be for some time as long as he continues to get a free pass from USADA, NSAC, CSAC, and of course Uncle Goof.

thelovacluka, TR1, Kha'bless and 7 others like this.
  3. Qays Stetkevich Blue Belt

Boof . . . part of me doesn't want to see that sad ending. Part of me. The other, probably larger part will relish watching a shitty person's demons come back to get them. Again, and again, if there's any justice in the world.

On a semi-related note: the problem isn't just with the fighters, it's with the fans as well. Once Fedor or Anderson or Aldo started to skid, most of us either:
    A) wanted them to "come-back" and re-cement their legendary status
    B) wanted to see them fight anyway, maybe against easier competition
    C) would watch no-matter-who they fought
    Even fans chanting "retire" tune in. I sure watched all of Minotauro's fights until the overdue and bitter end.

With all that being said, I'm fine with Khabib's retiring on top, unscathed. He's the star of his own story, already rich, and clearly cares about other things more than he cares about money or fighting, so good luck to him. Same with GSP.

Micsterator, 3879, WorldWarIV and 4 others like this.
  4. Captain Herb 10000 Likes

If he really plans to spend some time at Heavyweight, yeah. Losses will be unavoidable.

Sissy Boy, Pancake Sprawl and qw3rty like this.
  5. KootenayKid Brown Belt

He’s pretty calculated, I do not see it going that far. He could lose one or two times though.

PharoahHeight, GOATtalks and qw3rty like this.
  6. JosephTessaro Red Belt

I don't think so. I know there are a lot of people here that want it to happen because they despise him but I don't see it happening. I see him getting the HW strap, maybe defend once or twice then walking away.

7. Mr Joyboy Doctor of Divinity

For all his excesses in the real world, his career has been managed well, and I doubt he'd stick around to get the shit beaten out of him.

8. G10 Orange Belt

Everyone loses. It's inevitable. I personally think Jones already lost to Gustafson. The bigger question to me is how Jones will react when he officially loses. Given the type of person he is, I can picture the loss crushing his extremely fragile ego. I imagine if he lost once, he'd be the type of guy to go off the rails and start losing more and more frequently.

Fedor is a very controversial fighter on these forums, but I think all of us can agree that he handled his loss to Werdum in the best possible way. "The one who doesn't fall, doesn't stand up" is a legit awesome quote that I think about in day-to-day life. Can anyone POSSIBLY imagine Jones having that same kind of attitude?

3879 and qw3rty like this.
  9. I Lie To Girls Blue Belt

Jon Jones will either piss hot again, poke some eyes, and throw out a nutshot to avoid losing in the cage. Maybe even bite. I dont expect his doubters will ever get the satisfaction of seeing him laying flat on his back counting the lights.

10. gladiator40 Orange Belt

Father Time beats everyone in the end so if hangs on too long he will end up like the rest of the old guys.

Idonotbelieveit likes this.
  11. qw3rty PM me for free filler-room uppercuts

Even in potential losses like Gus or Marreta's he would be the same.

The loss that could crush his ego will happen when(if) someone dominates and finishes him

12. Sakurabaism Black Belt

Jones is too smart and sleazy to keep fighting once he is past his prime.

13. MescalineDreams Steel Belt

I don't think so personally, no.

Particularly because his opponents from now on will be older, slower and less diverse than him.

If he kept fighting younger lhws hitting their physical, mental and technical prime then yes . I think it would have happened eventually.

Which is why the timing of his HW move is brilliant. Not many will get it yet but they'll see when it happens.

John of Arc likes this.
  14. Fergelmince Black Belt

If it happens, it won't erase this

[​IMG]

jitzmonkey and DarthChen731 like this.
  15. DarthChen731 Gold Belt

If he loses his first fight at HW and decides to stay it's very possible

16. MescalineDreams Steel Belt

Hes already past his physical prime

Mentally and technically just as good as ever imo

But hw is also full of guys past their physical prime. He will still maintain that edge even fighting for a few more years.

17. HP_Nut Brown Belt

Even though he's still relatively young, he already appears past his prime the last 2 yrs. I truly believe prime JJ would've easily finished guys like Santos & Smith, & to many people, he lost to Reyes (I do think he did enough to beat Santos but I think Reyes beat him). If he fights for another 2 yrs I would say there's a good chance he will lose (I already thought he lost to Reyes). I think Stipe is also slowing down too though (stipe beat DC but both guys looked like they slowed down compared to their 2nd fight), so if JJ just has 1 more fight vs Stipe, I think he has a decent chance

18. cocksure Silver Belt

Of course, if he keeps at it, its inevitable.

19. marvinparsons Purple Belt

Anyone that gets old and keeps fighting will end up that way. BJ,Chuck,Fedor, Anderson.

20. Homervanderjaz Purple Belt

Can’t stand the guy but he’s one of the greats. For that reason hope he goes out on top and stays retired.