Will we see a repeat of recent history?

boozeco2005

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
The last time this happened was Machida/Shogun 1...controversial decision where the majority of fans felt the loser deserved the nod. Shogun brutally ko's Machida in the rematch and leaves no doubt. Will we see this happen if Jones and Gustafsson have a rematch? I believe Gustafsson will finish Jones in a rematch. He knows he has the skills and the heart to do it and now he knows what to expect in a 5 round fight.

Thoughts?

No. For starters, unlike Machida/Rua 1 in this case the media didn't score the fight for the challenger (at least most of them).

People complained about machida's lack of offense in the first fight, so he tried to attack more earlier in the 2nd... Shogun timed Machida's repeated knee and knocked him out.

This ain't the case here. Will probably be a 'dog fight' again, unless Jones manages to take Gus down early on.

It's actually possible. We learned that Gus has perhaps the best chin we've seen since Hendo and Phil has taught him amazing TDD. This combined with his smaller but not to much smaller than Jones dimensions enables him to take all the punishment Jones gives out(made easier by Jones lack of KO power)and effectively attack.

No. For starters, unlike Machida/Rua 1 in this case the media didn't score the fight for the challenger (at least most of them).

People complained about machida's lack of offense in the first fight, so he tried to attack more earlier in the 2nd... Shogun timed Machida's repeated knee and knocked him out.

This ain't the case here. Will probably be a 'dog fight' again, unless Jones manages to take Gus down early on.

I'm not saying they are identical scenarios...just similar. I feel like Gusta's confidence will be even higher in the rematch and he might be able to get into Jones' head

Most people still think Jones won I think. Like 90+% of people thought Shogun won.

Back