Will we live to see serious life extension technologies?

superpunch

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The life expectancy is like 78/79 in the US. It's started to go down for the first time ever in the past several years. Regardless, this looks like the natural limit of the human lifepan.

Will it stay around 78/79 or whatever it is now until we die or will we live to see technology that takes us to 100+? What will this tech be? When will we see it? How long will it allow us to live?

We really just need one old person at time as a contingency for Captain Trips.

I think I'd be more interested in quality of life extension than life extension.

IIRC the natural limit of the human lifespan is much higher than that, like in the one-hundred-teens (think they studied long-lived cultures around the world like Okinawans etc.) * The US lifespan is declining for more ominous reasons, IMO (cost of healthcare, diet, stress and mental health).**

* Homo Deus, Yuval Noah Hariri
**America, the Farewell Tour, Chris Hedges

My phone used to stay charged for almost two days, until I had to recharge it..

Now I am lucky to get a full day..

So probably not

I just want 200 hundred years. I’m 30. I don’t want to live forever I want to die but not so soon. I just want more.

Sooner or later some uber rich person will have some 24/7 blood monitoring that has some on demand delivery system to feed into the bloodstream whatever is needed. The result will be slower aging or no aging.

Probably not until I'm too old to benefit regardless, sadly. I'm not terribly interested in extending my time as a geriatric.

We really just need one old person at time as a contingency for Captain Trips.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I think I'd be more interested in quality of life extension than life extension.

IIRC the natural limit of the human lifespan is much higher than that, like in the one-hundred-teens (think they studied long-lived cultures around the world like Okinawans etc.) * The US lifespan is declining for more ominous reasons, IMO (cost of healthcare, diet, stress and mental health).**

* Homo Deus, Yuval Noah Hariri
**America, the Farewell Tour, Chris Hedges
120 max

Genesis 6

3So the LORD said, “My Spirit will not contend with man forever, for he is mortal; his days shall be 120 years.”

Nope. Just comedic ones.

"PSYCH!! You got two months!"

I bet even if they invented a way to make your organs last longer, they couldn't reverse the aging process on skin and appearance - at least not initially. Buncha 100-year old looking raisins everywhere.

Only young people want to live forever. I think the older you get the more your soul yearns to return to heaven. I couldn't imagine living for 200 years.

Maybe not living longer, but i can imagine old people walking around wearing a robotic exoskeleton in about 20 years, rather than driving those annoying mobility scooters or having to rely on a zimmer frame. Even quadriplegics will be like Iron Man, a lot of disabilities will be a thing of the past when the cyborg generation comes around.

I don’t know about Life, but Hair extensions will continue to titillate.

We'll continue to advance in the direction of fulfilling the complete biological lifespan, around 120 years. But in regards to actually extending that lifespan? Not a lot of indication of ever doing so. The only hope for life extension seems to be through some sort of consciousness transfer. Not in our lifetime, though. But who knows?

The life expectancy is like 78/79 in the US. It's started to go down for the first time ever in the past several years. Regardless, this looks like the natural limit of the human lifepan.

Will it stay around 78/79 or whatever it is now until we die or will we live to see technology that takes us to 100+What will this tech be? When will we see it? How long will it allow us to live?
It's already there, but it has to be a combination of people taking care of themselves, genetics somewhat (which can't be changed by modern medicine), and modern medicine. As far as Americans taking care of themselves, they have not evolved much, so modern medicine can only do so much. Modern medicine plus an exemplary diet plus no drugs, alcohol or smoking plus regular exercise plus not too many calories per day plus a strong mind (whatever it takes....meditation, passion in life, keeping stress at bay...you gotta do what works for yourself...) plus good genetics equals a good chance of living to 100, at least a better chance than ever before in the history of the world.

Last edited:
Back