Will we ever see the return of Marcelo?

i dont think he could

he has trouble passing cobrinhas guard and rafas is better in my opinion

i love garcia hes my first idol in jiu jitsu when i saw him beat renzo and vitor shaolin

but i think guys today at that weight and level in the gi would cause him troubles hed do better no gi for sure but even then i dont see him having near the success he had in his adcc runs

Cobrinha and Rafa aren't even in Marcelo's weight class. I don't really get the comparison.

If you look at Marcelo's ADCC division since he last competed in it it was won by Kron (who Marcelo is 2-0 against including a submission win). Then it was won by Davi Ramos and then JT Torres. Lucas Lepri was in the finals against both of those latter 2 guys. None of those 3 men clearly outclass Marcelo and none of them play a game or style that Marcelo hasn't dealt with before.

I'm not saying Marcelo wouldn't catch an L against any of those guys but none of them are doing things radically different than when Marcelo was running that weight class.

kron was a young man when
Cobrinha and Rafa aren't even in Marcelo's weight class. I don't really get the comparison.

If you look at Marcelo's ADCC division since he last competed in it it was won by Kron (who Marcelo is 2-0 against including a submission win). Then it was won by Davi Ramos and then JT Torres. Lucas Lepri was in the finals against both of those latter 2 guys. None of those 3 men clearly outclass Marcelo and none of them play a game or style that Marcelo hasn't dealt with before.

I'm not saying Marcelo wouldn't catch an L against any of those guys but none of them are doing things radically different than when Marcelo was running that weight class.
he lost 20 years old and 22 and he barely beat kron the second time he wasnt in his prime age wise

he lost 20 years old and 22 and he barely beat kron the second time he wasnt in his prime age wise

At 22 years old after grappling from age 6 or so, yes you are in your grappling prime.

I think Marcelo's actually 36 years old. He still trains regularly with all of his top guys, as well as the top grapplers that visit him.

Even while retired, he has helped train some of the top ADCC guys for their matches- and more than holds his own against them during these hard training sessions.

I don't think he stands to gain anything from competing again, but I know a lot of people would love to see it.

(I'm super fortunate to be close to him...and during all this time together, I don't think I've ever asked if he was coming back to compete again)

I think Marcelo's actually 36 years old. He still trains regularly with all of his top guys, as well as the top grapplers that visit him.

Even while retired, he has helped train some of the top ADCC guys for their matches- and more than holds his own against them during these hard training sessions.

I don't think he stands to gain anything from competing again, but I know a lot of people would love to see it.

(I'm super fortunate to be close to him...and during all this time together, I don't think I've ever asked if he was coming back to compete again)

He was born in 83, wasn’t he? Still young enough to compete IMO.

Any chance you could ask him if he ever feels the desire to come back?

no i dont think so i st
At 22 years old after grappling from age 6 or so, yes you are in your grappling prime.
started at 15 and im 27 i feel much much stronger explosive than at 20 22 u cant deny that a guy at early 20s is as good athletically in this sport then than at late 20s theres a reason most mma guys are there best at late 20s through mid 30s today

I wish he was in his prime now. I'd love to see him compete against the new breed.

no i dont think so i st

started at 15 and im 27 i feel much much stronger explosive than at 20 22 u cant deny that a guy at early 20s is as good athletically in this sport then than at late 20s theres a reason most mma guys are there best at late 20s through mid 30s today

That is because you started “late”... at 22 you are super man... you could train all day go out to drink sleep 2 hours be ready to do the same, at 27 you can’t do that anymore specially if you started training at a very young age

Last edited:
no i dont think so i st

Then you just were not maximizing your training in your early 20s. Plain and simple.

no i trainedmuch
Then you just were not maximizing your training in your early 20s. Plain and simple.
harder back then then today and im the same size is topped growing after 15 but i noticed around 25 26 i started getting stronger

Technique matters a lot more in BJJ then being at your absolute physical peak.
yeah but imagine having both lol theres a reason even bjj guys lift weights today if it was all technique then guys would just train bjj only and no supplements when everytings = conditiong and strength size comes into play

yeah but imagine having both lol theres a reason even bjj guys lift weights today if it was all technique then guys would just train bjj only and no supplements when everytings = conditiong and strength size comes into play

Technique is not something you can learn fully. Of course being strong and having the ability to go hard the whole match matters, you don't want to be exhausted or work around getting overpowered.
What I mean is that having more technique and doing something like twice as efficiently or surprising your opponent matters a lot more then being 1% weaker then in your peak.

Technique matters a lot more in BJJ then being at your absolute physical peak.

Yea but the problem is if everyone has world champ - level technique, then stuff like physical peak matters. Or can make up for some gaps in technique.

That is because you started “late”... at 22 you are super man... you could train all day go out to drink sleep 2 hours be ready to do the same, at 27 you can’t do that anymore specially if you started training at a very young age

I'm glad it's not just me. I started training young at 13, and the ability to explode, have high energy levels off of 4 hours of sleep (I worked full time and went to school at night, in addition to BJJ), and other various perks have gone away 16 years later. 19-24 me is a drastically different physical person from how I feel at 29. I'd gladly trade whatever strength gains I've been making for the energy and speed I used to have. Going to train after a full work day when I've had 6 hours of sleep or less (because my 16 month old daughter refuses to sleep or negotiate) makes me feel like I'm a god damn mummy.

And Rafa won ADCC at 19 years old. Marcelo won it at 20.

Saying Kron only lost to Marcelo Garcia twice because he was 20 years old the 1st time and then 22 the 2nd time is a silly argument.

They faced off twice. Kron lost twice. Kron is awesome and one of my favorite grapplers of all time. I look up to him and his style a lot. But he had two chances and didn't get it done.

To answer OP's question... probably not. What else does he have to prove? Between his academy and website, he's doing really well for himself... preparing for a superfight or whatever would just be taking time away from his family for money he probably doesn't need. And for pete's sake, after everything he's been through, I don't blame him for wanting to spend all of his time with his family.

Back