Will we ever see double digit title defenses again?

Like others referenced above, the UFC is trying to make everybody another conor.

Izzy has what? 2 title defences and now they want him to fight Jan so he can then fight Jones.

The whole rankings structure is next to useless at this point, and few care about defenses when they can simply build up some money fight.

Nope. It either can't be done or the potential candidate will quit/retire to preserve a streak/perfect record. How many defenses did the greatest lightweight in the multiverse, Khabib, have before retiring?

Being double champ has become incredibly attractive from a financial standpoint and aside from that, most divisions become better and better, making it increasingly difficult to defend the title successfully as many times.

Having many title defenses is the most important to a legacy for me. If you can also get more than one belt that’s a definite bonus, though.

I don’t know if anybody will hit 10 straight again. It’s very hard to maintain that level of domination in this sport. I’d say it probably won’t happen again anytime soon.

nah I think fighters are more wise to it now and go after legacy rather than cleaning out a division and then fighting lesser and lesser opponents in less interesting fights.

We are seeing it now with Jones people losing interest in his fights so hes finally moving up to HW to get some interest back.

Worst case was mighty mouse, as great as he is he cleaned out his division and his title defenses came to mean so little that he could barely sell a PPV.

GSP even faced criticism that his fights where getting boring.

Having many title defenses is the most important to a legacy for me. If you can also get more than one belt that’s a definite bonus, though.

I don’t know if anybody will hit 10 straight again. It’s very hard to maintain that level of domination in this sport. I’d say it probably won’t happen again anytime soon.

wtf, thats like the opposite lol. Endless title defenses? lmao

Once you have cleaned a division out, you need to find the next challenge, not sit there and cling to your belt fighting lessor and lessor opponents because they are they only guys you haven't fought yet.

It gets boring, look what happened to mightymouse - couldn't even sell a PPV. It wasn't cause of the division, it was cause of him clinging to the belt. When CCC won it he did the polar opposite.

Look what happened to Jones. Even the GOAT GSP started to get boring cause he played it safe and clung to his belt.

wtf, thats like the opposite lol. Endless title defenses? lmao

Once you have cleaned a division out, you need to find the next challenge, not sit there and cling to your belt fighting lessor and lessor opponents because they are they only guys you haven't fought yet.

It gets boring, look what happened to mightymouse - couldn't even sell a PPV. It wasn't cause of the division, it was cause of him clinging to the belt. When CCC won it he did the polar opposite.

Look what happened to Jones. Even the GOAT GSP started to get boring cause he played it safe and clung to his belt.
Anderson did the exact opposite. He started to clown in there and fight with his hands down. Daring his opponents to exchange with him. Gotta respect that.

Went down on his shield

I don't see why not. Will probably always be rare though

Yes
Someday some super predator will show up on the scene and destroy everyone in their path for a few years
Happens from time to time

With the recent news of Israel moving up to LHW to challenge for Jan’s championship this question popped up in my head. It seems the current trend among champions is a few title defenses then attempting to achieve champ-champ status. Which do you guys find more impressive and which do you think strengthens their legacy more?
It really depends on the context. Are you defending the title against legit competition? If so, then the title defenses mean a lot. Hence GSP's and Aldo's streaks rank higher to me than that of Jones and Mighty Mouse who I feel fought lesser competition.

As far as moving up that too depends on the context. Are you dethroning a dominant champ like Stipe or taking the title from one with no defenses like Alvarez? The former is a lot more impressive. Are you actually trying to defend the titles you hold like Amanda and DC did? Or just taking the belt and dipping like Conor?

Last edited:
Yes
Someday some super predator will show up on the scene and destroy everyone in their path for a few years
Happens from time to time
R-Racist!

Hey man , I’m sorry I in no way was trying to be racist, I hope your kidding
Oh I'm kidding, just a nod to the controversy around Hillary Clinton using that term back in the 90s.

prob in the weaker divisions.

Back