Will we ever see double digit title defenses again?

13Seconds

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
With the recent news of Israel moving up to LHW to challenge for Jan’s championship this question popped up in my head. It seems the current trend among champions is a few title defenses then attempting to achieve champ-champ status. Which do you guys find more impressive and which do you think strengthens their legacy more?

UFC's motto used to be "we're building contenders, not champions", this champ champ stuff seems to be a side effect of them failing to build contenders. Whittaker sitting out shouldn't have stalled an entire division but that's where we're at. Nothing else for a champ who just came on to the scene to do. Same with Blach.

Yes 100%. I know this is WAY TOO SOON but someone like chamzat gets the belt EASILY in the next 8 months. If he walks his way to the belt with finishes then i could say he is the next guy to come close because he is young to the UFC

Title defenses alone as a metric are overrated

Level of competition and opponents skill level matters much more, which is why I dont have Anderson as a top 5 GOAT

UFC's motto used to be "we're building contenders, not champions", this champ champ stuff seems to be a side effect of them failing to build contenders. Whittaker sitting out shouldn't have stalled an entire division but that's where we're at. Nothing else for a champ who just came on to the scene to do. Same with Blach.
I don't know man. We have a clear #1 contenders fight tonight in the LHW division. Yet Izzy/Jan was confirmed a few days ago. That is a great fight so im looking forward to it.

Just have a feeling the champ champ thing is gonna happen more often.

Title defenses alone as a metric are overrated

Level of competition and opponents skill level matters much more, which is why I dont have Anderson as a top 5 GOAT
With title defenses comes more recognition. More money, main or co main slot, along with more critisism from a whole lot of people. That's pressure. Sometimes the hardest thing to do in sports is to win when you're supposed to win. Kinda hard to explain if you never competed before.

A fight with a belt attached to it is more difficult than it sounds. Stringing together double digit title defenses on the biggest stage is mighty impressive.

Reigning champion supreme in your division and getting double digit defenses is a monolithic feat and I respect the hell out of it. With time I’m sure others will replicate that which so few have previously done.

Moving up and fighting the champion of the class above yours is an incredible act as well but it’s more like the icing on the cake. (Although I do find it wildly entertaining).

With title defenses comes more recognition. More money, main or co main slot, along with more critisism from a whole lot of people. That's pressure. Sometimes the hardest thing to do in sports is to win when you're supposed to win. Kinda hard to explain if you never competed before.

A fight with a belt attached to it is more difficult than it sounds. Stringing together double digit title defenses on the biggest stage is mighty impressive.
"Sometimes the hardest thing to do in sports is to win when you're supposed to win"
We see it in the UFC. As Jon and GSP tallied up the title defenses they became more calculated, less dynamic (especially Jon). You see guys fight not to lose instead of fighting to win. There's a lot at stake so it must be hard to avoid.

the point of champ vs champ was both guys semi or totally clean out there divisions.. so it great to beat a champ.. but with no or barely any defenses just shows that division weak

I think so, TS. There will always be a place for a warrior who wants to clean out and dominate a division & be considered one of the best at a particular weight class.

Most likely not, double digit title defenses came when there were still a lot of mismatches to be had. Now you have a roster that is largely mediocre and fairly evenly balanced so most fighters can defeat each other on any given night.

Nope. Only 3 men have achieved double digit title defenses. Silva, Jones, and DJ

Back