Will we ever see a three weight UFC champion?

GSP is coming back to relieve Weidman of the MW strap... then on to Jones:icon_twis

Is is possible? Sure, probably at 35/45/55.

You can construct a situation where a small 205'er can win the 185 belt and then have the moons align in such a way where the 206+ strap is held by a smaller fighter - think back to Randy - and possibly get all three there, especially since 206+ has had a number of smaller fighters win the strap over the years.

I also think this thread is a thinly veiled, "Can Mighty Mouse win at 145?" thread :)

I suppose Weidman could move up to both lhw and hw. Not sure about being champ in all 3 but he'd definitely be top 10 in each one.

If Jones keeps using Coke, he could probably make MW.

The only fighter I think can make a successful cut down a weight class and also challenge the champ a class above is Jones. I doubt Aldo can cut anymore weight than he does already. Weidman isn't taking Jones at 205. Lawler has already shown to be mediocre at 185.

I think Barao is probably the only fighter who could do it. And winning at 155 would be unlikely.

This Guy.

edgar_penn003.jpg

Jose-Aldo-Frankie-Edgar-UFC-156-weigh.jpg

cain-velasquez-frankie-edgar-jon-jones-anderson-silva-dominick-bowles-2011-4-29-19-30-0.jpg

Edgar has the best shot out of everyone. Already held the belt at LW. Possibly could win the belt at FW & I think he could also make 135 no problem.

Jbj maybe

Dillashaw claims he can make 125, and if Aldo moves up I could see him having a chance of beating whoever the 145 is at that time

There is just one problem.

1.gif

Dodson is at 125 and wouldn't have hard cut.

There is just one problem.

1.gif

Dodson is at 125 and wouldn't have hard cut.

That was around TUF. the tj that fought there and the TJ that's been coached by bang are two different beasts. Not saying Dodson isn't quick enough to catch him, but TJ has evolved a lot since then. He's probably evolved a lot since last fight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aldo or Jones could do it I think. Can't really picture anybody in today's mma world being able to though.

I wish you could hold two belts at the same time. That would be epic.

gotta think if it does happen, it will happen with a young champion at 125, then see him move up in weight as he (literally) grows up. 125-135-145 is easier than trying to accomplish it at, say, 170-185-205.

Agree.

I see it more likely from a lighter weight fighter gradually moving up.

People have to start being realistic on here and not just fanboys with a blind opinion.. Aldo would never make 135 and be under at 170! MM would not be the same at 145, he wasn't even dominant at 135! JBJ would get murked at HW and be too drained at 185! Lawler can't make 155 and 185 he wasn't the same beast. Cain could not make 185 comfortably nor 205 and keep strength. Only two current champions who could do it, are TJ and Pettis.. And I doubt TJ is strong at 125 and doubt Pettis would be strong enough at 170. Though if Vitor wins the belt at MW, he would be the first.

A lot of people would have to be killed for this to happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back