Will we ever see a multi-sport ChampChamp? UFC and boxing.

Pico is the best hope, by far.

Tho I'll get flamed, I'll still say it: With the right match making, I think Conor could have a shot too. From the time we saw him spar Van Heerden til May, he made tremendous amounts of progress. I doubt he will do it, but he might have a shot. I don't see any other current fighters being able to reach the pinnacle in both sports.

does Bo Jackson getting to the All Star Game in MLB & NFL count?

hows about Jim Thorpe's countless awards across countless sports, including (ya, i'm not even making this up) ballroom dancing?

UFC & Boxing? naw. though AO's accomplishments in MMA & K-1 are a close 2nd.

good choices. then there's deion sanders, who played an nfl game in miami (falcons at dolphins), then flew to pittsburgh for a NLCS baseball game in the evening (braves vs pirates. suited up, but never got in the game).

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/25-years-a...ew-to-join-the-braves-in-the-nlcs/c-258229840

As far as I'm concerned Bo Jackson, Jim Thorpe, and Deion Sanders all qualify for what TS is looking for.
If you put Bo and Deion in a time capsule they'd still be among the greatest athletes today.

For me personally, Bo Jackson was the greatest athlete I've ever watched.

Loma could

I was gonna mention that. Loma has a pretty good background in judo and wrestling. just prolly too late at 30 years old but he does have the athleticism to pick it up. his footwork and speed would be unmatched

absolutely.

an interesting factoid. in 1950 sportswriters were polled on who was the greatest athlete in the first half of the 20th century. Thorpe was #1, Ruth was #2.

same poll in 1999 (of 1999 sportswriters)? Ruth #1, Thorpe #7.

it really goes to show the difference between a GOAT and a Legend. Babe Ruth is a legend and Thorpe is not.

It also goes to show that certain sports capture the hearts and imaginations of writers and fans, and other sports, less so.

Generally speaking, professional sports get put on a higher pedestal than Olympic events.
It’s amazing if someone can run 400m, deadlift, freestyle swim 200, or figure skate better than anyone else in the world, but being the best in soccer, football, basketball, and tennis always brings more enduring attention.

Bo running a 4.13 40-yard dash at 230lbs doesn't even make sense.
tumblr_mx4362ss1Q1retk9go1_400.gif

If the right boxer came along and the UFC needed the money I could see an automatic title shot. Then it's a matter of getting lucky.

Either that or a boxer, for some weird reason, has a base in wrestling or jiu jiutsu.

Wilt Chamberlain is the best athlete ever imo
pure athleticism yes. but if you start bring in intangibles his stock starts to go down. for example, he played a team game, and many others did more to help their team win than Wilt did.

this intangible is the main reason that Jordan is regarded higher than Wilt. when Jordan played selfishly (for lack of a better term) in his early years, he - like Wilt throughout his entire career - posted great stats and the Bulls didn't win championships. Jordan evolved and Wilt didn't.

not debating you, just coloring in the gray areas as food for thought. cheers.

There were stellar Broncos defensive lineups from other seasons that would have stuffed his ass.
Stop with that.
He didn't play long, but he was an absolute stud while he did. No need to get defensive for defenses.

It also goes to show that certain sports capture the hearts and imaginations of writers and fans, and other sports, less so.

Generally speaking, professional sports get put on a higher pedestal than Olympic events.
It’s amazing if someone can run 400m, deadlift, freestyle swim 200, or figure skate better than anyone else in the world, but being the best in soccer, football, basketball, and tennis always brings more enduring attention.
I dunno, the fastest man on the planet has always gotten major draw.
  • Carl Lewis vs Ben Johnson
  • Michael Johnson vs Donovan Bailey
  • Usain Bolt vs Justin Gatlin
Those were world-wide spectacles.

I dunno, the fastest man on the planet has always gotten major draw.
  • Carl Lewis vs Ben Johnson
  • Michael Johnson vs Donovan Bailey
  • Usain Bolt vs Justin Gatlin
Those were world-wide spectacles.

Yea, they are worldwide spectacles.

But they would have endorsements and earnings on par with the top guys from soccer, basketball, football, and tennis if the world truly cared enough in the long run.

Don’t get me wrong; I have a man-crush on Mo Farrah, but he has a niche audience compared to Ronaldo, Lebron, Tom Brady, and old man Federer.

Back