Will watching high level BJJ fight videos help you with your BJJ?

If you're actively training yes. The more experience you have the more you'll get out of it.

Guys like Craig Jones, Kit Dale, and Jon Thomas swear by comp footage study. It's been a huge help for me as well

You need to know a lot of stuff about the fighter and is style to appreciate it. I've watched a lot of instructionnals of Wardzinski, Jake MacKenzie and Craig Jones recently and when I watch their fights I understand stuff and it helps me a lot to see the entries, how the other guy defended, how they countered…

But when I watch 2 guys I don't really know, it becomes a blur and I don't learn as much. Especially when it's complicated half guard strategies and grip fighting. When you don't understand what's he's trying to do, it's just grip fighting that doesn't work, half guard that take time to pass or some funky lapel stuff going on.

Maybe a more experienced grappler would see more stuff than me, even from a new guy using a new style.

BJJ scout style of video with the sequence, the little arrows and text… can also help you a lot

I have not found it too useful for me because, while I'm decent, I'm not on their level. My opponents don't do the same shit they do at the highest level. What helps me most is drilling technique, rolling more, and going for those techniques in rolling

If you're actively training yes. The more experience you have the more you'll get out of it.

I think the last sentence is really important and true. The more experienced you are the more you will see and be able to implement in your own game.

When your at a higher level I'd imagine it does, but as a white belt I imagine I'd look like an ass trying to do some of the stuff you see the top guys do lol

The better you get the more it helps.
It has to do with neurological development.

Google mirror neurons.

It depends on how you view matches. You can draw inspiration from techniques, you can get ideas or different approaches to situations that you would never think of and can improve your own technique by watching others.

IBJJF finals matches usually help me get good rest after training ZZZZZzzzzz

Back