Will UFC bump Brunson up to face Cannonier at UFC 248

zxyss25

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I would think this would be the ideal situation if the UFC cant get Till or Gasteleum to fight Cannonier at UFC 248

Its also a winnable fight for Cannonier

I doubt UFC would bump up Edmen...Cannonier would be too big of a test

Thoughts?

I would think this would be the ideal situation if the UFC cant get Till or Gasteleum to fight Cannonier at UFC 248

Its also a winnable fight for Cannonier

I doubt UFC would bump up Edmen...Cannonier would be too big of a test

Thoughts?
Lol it would make for a good highlight reel for cannoniers resume.

I honestly think Shahbazyan would KO Cannonier. Not sure that Brunson poses any threat to him though.

Brunson looks like he's coming into his own past couple fights.. If he's a big underdog, I'd take him

Doesn't really matter for Cannonier, as Costa will get the next title shot regardless of who Cannonier may beat at ufc 248.

Brunson, Kelvin, or Uriah Hall would be fine. If victorious, then Cannonier can fight the loser of the main event or Whittaker if he is ready, while Costa challenges for the title.

Lol it would make for a good highlight reel for cannoniers resume.
Agreed, Cannonier puts on a showcase against Brunson at this point in their respective careers. Brunson at one point was a dangerous opponent but he's had a tough go of it lately. Meanwhile Cannonier gets noticeably better in between fights.

Doubt it, the card already has 13 fights now (without cannonier fighting someone) so they’ll prob just have him as a back up for the main event

Based off his post today it seems like ufc isn’t even actively working to find him a replacement

I honestly think Shahbazyan would KO Cannonier. Not sure that Brunson poses any threat to him though.
That would be a huge jump for shabazyn, depends on if him and his coaches want to move him that fast or not

That would be a huge jump for shabazyn, depends on if him and his coaches want to move him that fast or not
Yeah I'm not saying it should happen. I'd actually like to see him moved up relatively slowly and knock out a few mid level fighters.

Nah, Brunson vs Baz makes sense so they mind as well keep it. They can find someone else for Jared. Also, UFC 248 already has 13 scheduled fights so get him someone around his rank for an event around that time. Till's coming off that Gastelum win 3 months ago so that would line up..or maybe he's injured? Idk, but I don't think that fight should get changed for him when it makes perfect sense.

Yeah I'm not saying it should happen. I'd actually like to see him moved up relatively slowly and knock out a few mid level fighters.
Yeah the hype from stuffing a few relatively known names that are rank 20-10 will give him some great appeal and hype, but so will fighting those 5-10 guys that put him on the top of cards, he gets exposure either way, it’s just what he’s up/ready for and what’s available. I honestly think he’s going to be a top 5 guy for a long team at the very least

Yeah, Edmen just turned 22 and I think Brunson is already a great test. He doesn't need to be fighting a top 5 yet. Of course I don't like protected fighters being brought up super slow, they can do that outside the UFC or keep that shit in boxing, but nothing wrong with not jumping into the deep end, which he kinda has a bit. Beating Darren Stewart in his first UFC fight who has upset wins in all his UFC fights including over prospect Deron Winn, smoking long time vet Brad Tavares and getting Brunson so early is enough for me. Of course I wouldn't care if they gave him the Jared cause he really does seem that good, I just don't think it's something they need to push when he has a great test in front of him. Stylistically the Brunson / Jared fight seems like Brunson would get into his deer in headlights thing.

Yeah, Edmen just turned 22 and I think Brunson is already a great test. He doesn't need to be fighting a top 5 yet. Of course I don't like protected fighters being brought up super slow, they can do that outside the UFC or keep that shit in boxing, but nothing wrong with not jumping into the deep end, which he kinda has a bit. Beating Darren Stewart in his first UFC fight who has upset wins in all his UFC fights including over prospect Deron Winn, smoking long time vet Brad Tavares and getting Brunson so early is enough for me. Of course I wouldn't care if they gave him the Jared cause he really does seem that good, I just don't think it's something they need to push when he has a great test in front of him. Stylistically the Brunson / Jared fight seems like Brunson would get into his deer in headlights thing.

You don't even know just how good Derrick Brunson is

So, what do you do with cannonier?

Give Edmen the fight. If he wins. He's the next big thing. if he loses no big deal.

So, what do you do with cannonier?

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, maybe Till, he's coming off that Gastelum win back in early November which would be good timing if Till isn't injured. Idk who, I just don't think it's necessary to pull that fight apart for it when it's already a fight that makes sense. It's not like Jared has to fight on that card, it's already got 13 fights.

You don't even know just how good Derrick Brunson is

Oooh, you got me!

My Pick History: Derek Brunson
13 Predictions · 10 - 3

• UFC 241 · 2019.08.17
  • Ian Heinisch · KO/TKO · Round 1
  • UFC on ESPN+ 9 · 2019.05.04
  • Derek Brunson · Decision
  • UFC 230 · 2018.11.03
  • Israel Adesanya · KO/TKO · Round 1
  • UFC on FOX 27 · 2018.01.27
  • Derek Brunson · KO/TKO · Round 1
  • UFC Fight Night 119 · 2017.10.28
  • UFC Fight Night 110 · 2017.06.10
  • UFC 208 · 2017.02.11
  • Anderson Silva · KO/TKO · Round 1
  • UFC Fight Night 101 · 2016.11.26
  • UFC Fight Night 94 · 2016.09.17
  • UFC Fight Night 83 · 2016.02.21
  • UFC Fight Night 73 · 2015.08.08
  • UFC 183 · 2015.01.31
  • UFC 177 · 2014.08.30

Doesn't really matter for Cannonier, as Costa will get the next title shot regardless of who Cannonier may beat at ufc 248.
Brunson, Kelvin, or Uriah Hall would be fine. If victorious, then Cannonier can fight the loser of the main event or Whittaker if he is ready, while Costa challenges for the title.

giphy.gif

You nailed it

Back