Will TJ have to beat Cruz twice?

Nah. Cruz prob needs to prove himself against barao or similar before even thinking about dillashaw. Then he gets his shot then gets beat and injured and retires.

I hope not. I don't think any challenger should have to win 2 fights to be the real champ.

The example I've used is football. Alabama is #1 and gets beat, they move to 4-5, even though they're better than the teams ahead of them.

If you get beat you should move back in the rankings instead of going to #2. There's no reason Cain should fight the same 2 people for 3 years, or Rousey to fight somebody 3 times when she's only had 11 fights. Mix it up a bit and get fresh fights to watch.

I really think that if Cruz wins, they should book Cruz/MM for a superfight (assuming MM beats dodson). He is the last person to beat him, Mighty Mouse is looking for a big money fight and nothing gets you more than a Champion vs Champion fight. Mighty Mouse could be the first to hold two titles and if he vacates the title at FLY, it could do what Anderson losing the MW belt did to that division. It's a pipe dream, but it really could do a lot for both divisions.

Cruz is fragile. Tough kid with an awkward style. But durability is key.

I really think that if Cruz wins, they should book Cruz/MM for a superfight (assuming MM beats dodson). He is the last person to beat him, Mighty Mouse is looking for a big money fight and nothing gets you more than a Champion vs Champion fight. Mighty Mouse could be the first to hold two titles and if he vacates the title at FLY, it could do what Anderson losing the MW belt did to that division. It's a pipe dream, but it really could do a lot for both divisions.

Yeah if MM beats Dodson he should push for a superfight.

If the fight sells big which it just may (depending on the co main event) they will definitely fight twice. Also, if the fight is competitive it more than likely will be an automatic rematch. Cruz cleared out the division and TJ just annihilated Barao twice. What other fights make sense then just doing an automatic rematch no matter who wins.

Blows my mind how many of you think Cruz is going to starch TJ, especially after that last masterful performance.

It is also mindblowing how some think TJ is so similar to Cruz. Footwork and lateral movement have been around long before Dom Cruz, just very little in MMA. Their movement is also considerably different with the most obvious being weight distribution that leads to TJ having more impact on his strikes. Cruz is more up on his toes for quick in n out pot shots. TJ shifts his weight more through his lower body to deliver more powerful shots.
Do ppl think Dom has/had the powerful technique standing to finish Barao twice? His technique was to score points and retreat. Dillashaw lands a strike to set up an angle and continues to land more in combination. Cruz was also very hittable when he would attempt to strike and then exit quickly as evidenced in his last fight vs Faber, a close decision as well. Dom became very predictable with the ol in out in out. Dillashaw is much more diverse and devastating.
Dillashaw will stop Cruz if Dom comes back healthy. I do sincerely hope Dom does make it to a title fight, he has had a very tough road.

Last edited:
If he beats him impressively then no. Cruz has been out so long it isn't the same as beating a champ who has been dominant up until you beat him.

Cruz was never more dominant than Barao. Barao was on a 32 win streak actually finishing top 5 bantamweights unlike Cruz. Cruz lost to Faber and most of the guys he beat are now flyweights.

Last edited:
Cruz will completely own TJ the first time, a rematch won't be necessary. Cruz is faster, stronger, more skilled, better cardio, and much higher fight IQ.

Cruz would have also finished Barao, so it's not like TJ accomplished the impossible.

IMO Cruz is boring TJ isn't. Outside of his last fight, Cruz purposely fights for points and does not ever seem to try to finish the other guy. Or basically he will take ZERO risk in an effort to finish the fight. TJ tries to finish. Ya, they both move around a lot but Cruz didn't invent anything nor did TJ steal it from him.

But to the OP's question. He won't have to beat him twice.....well maybe in his career he will but there would not be an immediate rematch IMO. If Dom was the champ and TJ beat him then sure immediate rematch maybe, but not now.

If he finishes Cruz then no. That being said.. Cruz via sub in the championship rounds.

Cruz will completely own TJ the first time, a rematch won't be necessary. Cruz is faster, stronger, more skilled, better cardio, and much higher fight IQ.

Cruz would have also finished Barao, so it's not like TJ accomplished the impossible.

Hahaha. Good one!!!

In Dom's last 10 fights, he has (wait for it) he has 2 finishes. And one of those was due to Bowles breaking his fucking hand. So Cruz has finished ONE guy in his last 10 - and you think he'd stop Barao because TJ did? That's adorable!!

Cruz isn't a finisher. I mean, he was decisioning guys who now fight at a lower weight class FFS. We get it - Cruz has a unique style. He has nice hair. He fights every year or so. But he wouldn't have stopped Barao. Not even fucking close. He might have decisioned Barao, since Cruz is good at that. But he wouldn't have stopped Barao. Barao isn't Mizugaki. Not even close.

Thanks for the laugh though. I look forward to Cruz accepting a fight with TJ, only to pull out when he blows out one of his knees. Or his groin. ONE fight in four years. Yikes.

Barao's win streak consists of over 20 tomato cans. Stop bringing that up like it's impressive.

Back