Will Tiger Woods break the record for majors in golf?

Discussion in 'Sports Bar' started by MXZT, Jul 21, 2020.

?

Will he break the major's record?

1. Yes

9.4%
  2. No

90.6%
  1. gspieler Silver Belt

Barringa miracle, he won't. Tiger put too many miles on his body in his 20's and 30's. He's been a shell of his prime self for a decade. TBH, I'd be surprised if he got two more.

As far as GOAT, depends on your criteria. Jack obviously had better longevity, more majors, and was a better ambassador for the sport. Tiger had the higher peak, and tougher competition. Take your pick. I'd give Jack the slight edge. But they're essentially 1a and 1b.

2. Grave Buster ******WTF Belt****** Platinum Member

well no, of course not.
    he's lucky to be playing competitive golf at all at this point.
    he'll retire within five years with no more major wins.
    doesn't matter, though.
    a legit candidate for GOAT golfer.

3. codfather Blue Belt

Jordan Spieth, Brooks Koepka and Rory McIlroy will ensure he never matches Jack.
    Tiger is 3 behind. Vijay Singh only won 3 majors is his entire career and he's in the World Golf Hall of Fame.
    No man over the age of 43 has won a major in the last 30 years. Tiger is 44.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  4. DangDaGawd Tough Scene

Tiger had tougher competition than Jack Nicklaus? That's the first time I've heard anyone try to make that argument.

I love Tiger, but his prime was during one of the weakest eras in golf.

5. Foppa21 Black Belt

Mistresses I reckon. Old boss and I talk about it every time we get a round in. He lost a lot of swagger when it all came out and started to really look vulnerable. People really began to think he was human. It also coincided with the rise of the kids that grew up concentrating on golf solely to "be like Tiger" and was going through the full fitness routine etc that he had laid the groundwork for. Basically at the same time as all this, him getting old, the strength of competition started to jump.

The funny thing is though, that first year he came back, before his back blew up again, he had a great year. 2012 I think it was he had like 5 wins including a WGC or two and won the FexEd so he was trending the right way. That drop at the Masters sucked too.

6. Foppa21 Black Belt

I think he has a shot at Augusta and The Open Championship depending on conditions.

No show at the US Open and outside chance at the PGA.

Grave Buster likes this.
  7. ChoppyChoppyPeePee Steel Belt

I still voted no but 7 majors will be played over the next 11 months and he's just now in his mid 40s. No more Pride vitamins though.

8. Foppa21 Black Belt

Jordan's really fallen off the radar the last say, 18 months. Putter's gotten really balky and he hasn't looked like being able to turn it around.

Rory runs hot and cold but yep, always in there. Brooks has been a monster the last 2 odd years.

9. MrFeeny Brown Belt

Didn't Jack win more majors and then on top of that have like 18 or so 2nd place finishes?

That's pretty dominant

10. brackis1 Yellow Card Yellow Card

The only reason Tiger doesn't break that record is his own fault: he was so dominant earlier in his career that he inspired a shitload of young guns, which makes it damn hard to win any given major when you have numerous killers going for it too that are hitting their prime. The game has definitely evolved and any given week, some young dude throws a flurry of absurd scores, even if it's not the same one every week.

rearnakedchoke and TeTe like this.
  11. Gregolian .45 ACP Platinum Member

I think SB Nation actually broke this down in a video and he has to have a ton of shit land his way for it to happen and his injuries and the time he spent away makes it really unlikely to happen.

12. GSP4tw Black Belt

He'll probably have to do it almost entirely at Augusta if he's gonna get it done. Maybe he can get a favorable layout at a PGA Championship. I don't think his body will hold up well enough to win a US Open or the Open Championship anymore.

13. rearnakedchoke Suck it!

If he can get dialed in at the open where he pullled our driver once, I think he has a shot. I think he has a good shot at Augusta also. Maybe he will pulls a federer and skips the opens he can’t win.

14. Tearjerker Orange Belt

He definitely still has the ability to win the Open and the PGA, he nearly won both in 2018. If I had to rank what he's most likely to win
    1.) Masters
    2.) Open Championship
    3.) PGA Championship

4.) US Open (Only chance to win will be at Torrey Pines)

As far as the thread goes, I don't see how he could "break" 18 majors (i.e. win 19 majors), there's a small chance he could tie 18 but it's very unlikely. He lost ~4 years of his career due to his back injuries/surgeries from 2014-2017 and I think that put 18 out of reach unfortunately. If his body holds up I can definitely see him winning 1 more major based on how well he played end of 2019 (ZOZO, Hero, President's Cup). He legitimately looked like the best player in the world over that period of time.

rearnakedchoke likes this.
  15. Foppa21 Black Belt

3 back today after the morning session. J Day tops so far at -5....

BK stalking one back.

16. Foppa21 Black Belt

I'm iffy about Open Championship because I'm not convinced his body will fire if the weather gets iffy. Problems activating the glutes and probably the back.

17. Grave Buster ******WTF Belt****** Platinum Member

Tiger tanked but Collin Morikawa played lights out.
    69-69-65-64 with an eagle on 16 at Harding Park to seal the deal.
    at only 23 yrs old, too. CAL graduate.

18. GSP4tw Black Belt

That shot on 16 by Morikawa is, given the circumstances, one of the best shots I've seen.

19. MrFeeny Brown Belt

Collin gonna win 19