Will this workout?

LLD2008

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I'm in my early 20s,I'm applying for the army, but ive thought of doing MMA in the future as a possible career. I've never done martial arts before, but in the army you can do things like amateur boxing, bjj, karate, taekwondo and things like that, which is a bonus.

I'm thinking of joining the army for 4 years and during the time learn bjj to start, then 2 years start amateur boxing, and maybe do either taekwondo or karate in between. After I leave I would then start ttraining in MMA with the martial arts I know and compete, would this be the right way to go if I want to become a sucessful MMA fighter, or would it hold me back?

You most likely won't have enough time to do BJJ while in the Army, since availability and transportation where you are stationed could be issues. Guys like Neil Magny have a background in Army Combatives so maybe you'll be able to get what you need there. My son was in the Marine Corps at Camp Pendleton and tried to do BJJ but never really had time. These days MMA is essentially a full time job if you want to be competitive.

What about MMA makes it seem like a career you want to pursue? If you've never done martial arts before, how do you know you'll even like it? Why now?

What about MMA makes it seem like a career you want to pursue? If you've never done martial arts before, how do you know you'll even like it? Why now?
I am very passionate about MMA, and have a desire to fight. I guess it took me time to workout what I wanna acheive in life.

Every post or base has a school nearby. Most places have some sort of combatives gym on post. Unfortunately you will be too busy to train regularly. Sorry - to tell you that you can either be a full time soldier or a full time fighter. Not both.

It could work out depending on where you are stationed
Although they have combative and all these teams your mos is your primary job. I was in the same boat (except usmc)
If you want to do both look into the reserves/national guard

Back