Will they wrestle in the rematch? (Usman vs Colby)

Performances against RDA are irrelevant, because Usman enjoyed a massive size advantage while Colby only had a minor one. Amateur wrestling careers outside of MMA mean nothing, they're not wrestling on a mat. Only way to determine who's the better wrestler is to shrink Usman to Colby's size and make them wrestle.
Uhhhh. you realize size is part of wrestling and grappling prowess right? that's like me saying Fighter A would be a better striker than Fighter B if we ignore that Fighter B has insane power in his strikes.

You also just seem very unfamiliar with what Usman accomplished on the mats compared to what Colby did....

Size is a factor, but if you win due to a significant size advantage, you're not the better wrestler. More like a better weight cutter.
Which again, part of wrestling. Would you ignore a striker's durability when comparing them head to head with another striker? Nope, because that would be head up your ass stupid.

I feel a repeat of the 1st match coming with Usman ending things in the 4th or earlier.

I expect Colby to try it. He knows Usman hits hard, and is getting clearly better and more confident on the feet with his recent performances. Even if he dosen't plan to be successful with it he should get Usman thinking about it in an effort to make Usmans offense on the feet more hesitant.

No. Usman doesn't need to and Colby can't take him down. It'll be another striking bout

People on this site acting like the fight wasn’t tied going into the 5th. Or like Colby has just been sitting on his ass and not preparing and training for Usman this entire time.
Tied going into the 5th and the beginning of the fifth was Colby's. I thought Herb should of let Colby try to finish the fight. If Colby does make it to the end of that fight, Usman wins and it goes down easily as one of the best fight's ever. It was still a great fight and I wouldn't dismiss Colby so easily.

Colby should try it because he might have the tank on usman, maybe his only edge?

I don't think Usman will bother to. Colby will attempt to because he doesn't want to trade again with him. He tries the same game plan and he gets stopped earlier.

Why should Colby wrestle when he was arguably winning or at least tied with Usman in the stand up department until he got cracked.

Yes, Usman has improved his stand up since then but I would imagine so has Colby. Colby needs to implement a high pace in and out approach and not try match shot for shot with Usman, alas Rocky vs Clubber in Rocky 3.

Last edited:
Well Colby definitely should try to wrestle Usman, because he'll get pieced up on the feet this time.

Absolutely this. Colby is going to get his face broke again with the same game plan (Usman is a better striker now than when they fought the first time). Still, Colby would be an idiot to telegraph his strategy before the fight. He should say he is going to put the pressure on Usman and "outbox" him...then shift gears about 1:00 minute into the fight.

Jarl

Why should Colby wrestle when he was arguably winning or at least tied with Usman in stand up department until he got cracked.

Yes, Usman has improved his stand up since then but I would imagine so has Colby. Colby needs to implement a high pace in and out approach and not try match shot for shot with Usman, alas Rocky vs Clubber in Rocky 3.
So you think he should go with the same game plan that got him finished last time and just bank on not getting “cracked” this time around?

So you think he should go with the same game plan that got him finished last time and just bank on not getting “cracked” this time around?

I don’t think that was his game-plan in the first fight, I feel like he was sitting in the pocket and trading 1 for 1 with Usman.

We might see some wall n stall from Usman (being the bigger guy), maybe a brief takedown just to mix things up and keep Colby guessing, but no cardio intensive wrestling from either guy. They both know whoever gets tired first is fucked.
There's a reason they didn't wrestle the first time. Takes alot of energy to wrestle for position. Whoever gasses first is fucked.

Fight will probably look something like GSP/Kos 2

to me, that seems like a very good reason why someone SHOULD wrestle. you're both looking at it from the point of view of someone who is afraid of getting tired or who isn't confident they have better cardio than the opponent. but if i was Colby, i'd definitely try to wrestle more.

Usman's striking offense looks much better, but his defense? still questionable, and that defense only becomes more questionable if he gets tired, whether Colby is tired too or not.

I think Colby is going to try and be more aggressive this time around, more clinching, more takedown attempts, more close range boxing. If he wants to exchange punches with Usman all night again he's going to get finished, he doesn't have the power.

I doubt it. Both guys probably realize it's very risky expending a lot of energy trying to take the other down.

I don’t think that was his game-plan in the first fight, I feel like he was sitting in the pocket and trading 1 for 1 with Usman.
Fair enough. I do tend to think he did try to out pace Usman early on but wasn't very successful because of the punches coming back and the fact that he wasn't able to threaten with his wrestling.

to me, that seems like a very good reason why someone SHOULD wrestle. you're both looking at it from the point of view of someone who is afraid of getting tired or who isn't confident they have better cardio than the opponent. but if i was Colby, i'd definitely try to wrestle more.

Usman's striking offense looks much better, but his defense? still questionable, and that defense only becomes more questionable if he gets tired, whether Colby is tired too or not.
Well Colby should def wrestle in the rematch. Atleast he tries something new then. He's the one who has to adjust.

Usman would squash him in wrestling. There's a reason he didn't try that the first match, Usman is the better over all and especially mma wrestler.
Usman literally didn't try to wrestle either. What's the reason for that since you know everything?

Usman literally didn't try to wrestle either. What's the reason for that since you know everything?
Better amateur wrestling career and better wrestling performances in the cage. Not to mention significantly better athlete. Compare their performances against RDA.

Not to mention Covington didn't try to wrestle when at best he was in a even fight. And that's his primary base.

Better amateur wrestling career and better wrestling performances in the cage. Not to mention significantly better athlete. Compare their performances against RDA.

Not to mention Covington didn't try to wrestle when at best he was in a even fight. And that's his primary base.
Why would Colby wrestle when he's winning rounds striking and had Usman almost finished? The ref paused the fight and let Kamaru recoup. That was fucking corrupt.

Why would Colby wrestle when he's winning rounds striking and had Usman almost finished? The ref paused the fight and let Kamaru recoup. That was fucking corrupt.
Lol ok, who benefits from fixing a match for Usman? The UFC wanted Colby to win. You need your eyes checked, was a glancing cup shot, not a scoring body shot.

Also because if you have eyes, you would notice that even in the rounds Colby was winning, he was taking absurd amounts of attritional damage that would bite him in the ass in 25 mins.

Back