Will the winner of Diaz/Poirier get the next LW title shot?

How does this work out?

• GSP gets TS only if Nurmagomedov wins

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jin Akutsu

Gengar Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
khabib-nurmagomedov-vs-conor-mcgregor-announcement-ufc-229.png

With Diaz/Poirier announced, the UFC is clearly hoping Diaz and McGregor win their respective fights to set up the big trilogy fight for the title.

hi-res-677034e7c93a48c98e2c87ebfd7a6d5a_crop_exact.jpg

There is also a looming contender in Ferguson waiting for his shot at the belt himself. GSP has hinted at wanting to hold a belt in three divisions.

What do you think happens?

If fight happens, no doubt.
If Conor wins though who knows when?

I think Dustin should if he wins as long as Tony isn't in the picture .
But I believe both Tony and Dustin deserve a title shot , not sure if that's what will happen as the UFC is more about money then legitimacy these days .

Gotta see if Nate's even fighting yet. His poetry's getting better though.

What should happen:
- Winner of Diaz vs Poirier gets next title shot, Tony is next in line

What will happen:
- UFC book GSP vs Khabib (yes, him winning is a foregone conclusion)
- Khabib pulls out, and Ferg steps in
- Ferg drops a hair dryer in his bathtub and electrocutes himself, and is thus pulled from the fight
- Kevin Lee steps in, but GSP turns the fight down
- Iaquinta steps in for GSP and we get Lee vs Iaquinta II instead of GSP vs Khabib
- Fans boycott the event and those two fight in an empty arena

I think winner faces winner. Except if Conor wins, then who knows. And Conor is probably going to win.

So I don't know.

EDIT: This is based on Tony being out indefinitely, and Khabib making it to the Conor fight.

If Conor wins, there's a chance he moves up to fight the welterweight champion.

I see it like this....If Conor wins, Dana creates a 165 lb division and we have a GSP vs. Conor title bout. If Khabib wins, Conor will fight Nate and Khabib will fight Tony. Poor Dustin will likely either have to wait until after that, or take a fight in the mean time. Maybe Kevin Lee? Though, I think that's a really bad match-up for him and he should avoid it at all costs unless by some miracle it's for a belt.

It all depends on who Conor decides is worthy, probably Diaz.

Diaz/Conor 3 needs to happen eventually.

Ferguson should. He isn't an easy fight for McGregor or Khabib. He can beat both if he's still in his prime.

Sure sounds like the winner is going to be fighting GSP though.

Conor wins.

If GSP plays ball it will be Conor vs. GSP.

If Diaz win the trilogy is next in line.

If Diaz loses Conor fights fergie.

Conor vs. Dustin won't happen again.

Khabib - McGregor rematch. Khabib wins and Conor demands a rematch. That's my current prediction. But I wouldn't be surprised if McGregor beats Khabib though. The future is clouded :)

Ferguson vs Poirer
Khabib vs Lee
Winner vs Winner
To decide true 155 champ

Mcgregor vs Diaz III
Because no matter what anyone says we will still watch it.

I would.like the winner of that fight to get the next title shot.

The poll seems to expect me to have a crystal ball.

Honestly, a lot depends on the outcomes and on Fergie.

That was a serious fucking injury/surgery Fergie had. And despite his prognostications of being ready September/October, I would be surprised to see him fighting before January/February. Maybe even later if there are complications.

If McGregor loses, that is the best case scenario for the division. He and Diaz can then go about their trilogy fight without holding up the list of legitimate contenders. Even if Diaz wins and McGregor loses, Diaz will opt for the trilogy fight for the $$$.

If McGregor and Diaz both win, that is the worst case scenario for the division. Then Poirer and Fergie are going to have to wait or take a fight. Either against each other or Lee.

If Khabib wins, he will fight Fergie if he is ready, Poirer if he is not. If Fergie is ready, Poirer will probably wait for the winner as opposed to Fighting Lee, which will put Lee in limbo.

Back