Will the UFC warm to Askren after the Abbasov fight?

He would have finished Sobotta, Pawel, Cedenblad & Jotko back to back to back to back in the same night. And would have been more exciting than those 2 mediocre crap fights.

If Askren is being sincere, then he will be at One FC for a long time. If Askren wants to cross over to the octagon, his best bet is Rich Franklin connection.

Not at all....

He just debuted at One so give him a few fights to fulfill contract or whatever. He should be in ufc mid next year

He should just fight as much as he can. With a strong unbeaten record and already some strong wins earler in his career he can make some big money fights if demand is right.

Nah. Askren made the right choice. He can build up some name recognition in the East Asian MMA market, where the UFC is looking to expand. He can headline cards in that area and allow the company to break new territory. Askren made the better decision, imo, as long as he keeps winning.

I support this.

If you have been lookin for it all day like me, you can rest now because I found it on Dailymotion. Just search "Askren debiut w ONE FC".

this says everything about his name value in the US.

Lol at the number of people blaming Dana for not signing Askren. There's not a button that says "sign fighter" Dana can push. It's a negotiation and Askren was asking for more money than the UFC thought he was worth. And more money than Bellator thought he was worth.

He'll be there at some point, there's no competition for him at LW/WW outside of the UFC.

Askren is not in the UFC because of a ridiculous Dana White/Bjorn Rebney dick-waving contest. Has nothing to do with his fighting style.

Askren is not in the UFC because of a ridiculous Dana White/Bjorn Rebney dick-waving contest. Has nothing to do with his fighting style.

it's a combination of everything. the Dana-Bjorn thing, his wrestling heavy style(finishing tomato cans is one thing, but against better fighters he would probably fight much, much safer and do nothing but top control) and him asking for more money they think he is worth. all parts are to blame in this one.

Nah. Askren made the right choice. He can build up some name recognition in the East Asian MMA market, where the UFC is looking to expand. He can headline cards in that area and allow the company to break new territory. Askren made the better decision, imo, as long as he keeps winning.

I respectfully disagree. A win over Fitch or Burkman would have done a lot more for him than dominating Abbasov, who even though was on a nine fight streak, doesn't even have a wiki page. I know Shields and Palhares were still signed with the UFC when he made his decision, but a win over either of them would have been huge too. WSOF also would have kept him on TV instead of some obscure internet PPV.

Lol at the number of people blaming Dana for not signing Askren. There's not a button that says "sign fighter" Dana can push. It's a negotiation and Askren was asking for more money than the UFC thought he was worth. And more money than Bellator thought he was worth.

Dana flatly stated he wasn't interested in signing Ben at all. "He's just not my kind of guy." were his exact words. Dana didn't sign him because he's a boring wrestler and he was pissed at Bellator. It wasn't a financial issue.

Shields, Fitch and Palhares are way better than anyone Askren ever fought

Lima would destroy Fitch at this point in time. I'd pick him over Palhares too. Those guys have way better name value though.

Askren has a contract. UFC can't do anything until then.

I think Askren may have a clause in his contract that allows him to leave for the ufc, could mistaken, but I know many fighters have had a ufc clause in their contracts, does anyone know about Askrens?

This weekend's OneFC card was my first time actually seeing a Ben Askren fight and he looked great, extremely active wrestler. I think with a few more finishes he can attempt to throw some attention towards the UFC and hopefully get signed.

Askren has a contract. UFC can't do anything until then.

Without One FC's blessing. If only an executive at One FC was on great terms with Dana *cough*RichFranklin*cough*.

Dana flatly stated he wasn't interested in signing Ben at all. "He's just not my kind of guy." were his exact words. Dana didn't sign him because he's a boring wrestler and he was pissed at Bellator. It wasn't a financial issue.

Yeah he said that after a meeting where he tried to sign him but Askren's $ demands were not remotely in the ballpark of what the UFC was offering.

Back