Will the UFC soon start matching boxings biggest gates?

dertdent

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
The two biggest UFC gates are UFC 129 $12,075,000 and UFC 194 $10,100,000. Mcgregor said that the gate for UFC 196 is tracking at 13 million. Mayweather vs. Pacquiao is an anomaly, being 3.6 times bigger than any previous gate. Gate money correlates with the prestige attached to the event. Celebs and the super rich want to be seen there and will pay thousands for a ticket. Has the UFC moved into an era of huge gates that can rival boxing? I can imagine UFC 200 and Ronda's return doing north of 15 million.

1. Mayweather vs. Pacquiao $72,198,500.00
2. Mayweather vs. Alvarez $20,003,150.00
3. Mayweather vs. De La Hoya $18,419,200.00
4. Lewis vs. Holyfield II $16,860,300.00
5. Mayweather vs. Maidana $15,024,400.00
6. Mayweather vs. Maidana II $14,899,150.00
7. Pacquiao vs. De La Hoya $14,380,300.00
8. Holyfield vs. Mike Tyson II $14,277,200.00
9. Holyfield vs. Mike Tyson I $14,150,700.00
10. Mike Tyson vs. McNeeley $13,965,600.00
11. Trinidad vs. De La Hoya $12,949,500.00
12. Hopkins vs. De La Hoya $12,782,650.00
13. Alvarez vs Cotto $12,470,200.00
14. Mayweather vs. Cotto $12,000,150.00
15. Pacquiao vs. Marquez III $11,648,300.00
16. Calzaghe vs. Hopkins $11,636,400.00
17. Mayweather vs. Mosley $11,032,100.00
18. Marquez vs. Pacquiao IV $10,888,900.00
19. Mike Tyson vs. Bruno II $10,673,700.00
20. Mayweather vs. Hatton $10,393,950.00
21. Mayweather vs. Berto $10,062,500.00

I think they can reach around the 15 million dollar mark.

Maybe. If it does, it will be a mega card, with multiple international stars. Boxers can sell fights based solely on the main event.

Never the $72 million mark. $15-$20 million perhaps.

maybe UFC 200 but they won't start making that kind of money regularly for years

Maybe. If it does, it will be a mega card, with multiple international stars. Boxers can sell fights based solely on the main event.

This is the reason certain fighters make significantly more money than other fighters and the reason people complaining about fighter pay makes almost no sense. As in boxing the top stars can make money while the non sellers don't.

The two biggest UFC gates are UFC 129 $12,075,000 and UFC 194 $10,100,000. Mcgregor said that the gate for UFC 196 is tracking at 13 million.

UFC 196 isn't even close to sold out. There are plenty of seats available. If they really are tracking at $13 million, it's because they have chosen to price regular fans out of the arena - which is a cause for concern.

The UFC is starting to earn the respect of the boxing enthusiasts.
Larger gates may also reflect a demographic shift. MMA's fanbase is younger than boxing. More of the younger celebs and ultra rich grew up watching mma and have the cash to spend. I don't see Jack Nicholson at an UFC, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a Tom Hardy.

Boxing is simply BIGGER than ufc plain and simple.

The sport of boxing can produce stars while mma simple cant.

they'll never reach that level. ronda is an internet star nothing more, how come with all her hype she cant destroy all of boxings records?? because shes a hollow media girl and nothing after that. just some hype and that's it.

Well, considering if Mayweather doesnt keep fighting, even boxing can't match any of those gates anymore.

Theres no one else left in boxing at the moment that can draw like that, and the Mayweather phenomenon has alot to do with the fact that there is no one else in boxing creating much excitement.

So no, not the huge gates, but maybe 15 sometime soon.

Its only a matter of time before its consistently out selling boxing events its already the more dominant combat sport

UFC 194 literally had a world tour to support it. Think about that. They spent millions of dollars going wheels up to cities around the world promoting this fight and dumped an enormous amount of money, time and resources into it.

McGregor is no doubt a star when it comes to promotion and a very legitimate champion, but to this day I've still never met another person in real life who knew his name.

My office of 30-40 people represents a fairly good cross section of age and background. The last few years it was blowing my mind how nearly everyone knew of Rousey. If not directly, they knew of her tangentially. She most definitely crossed over into pop culture.

Other than friends I talk to about MMA, hardcore fans like myself, I've never met a person who knew Conor. If I stood up on a desk in my office and offered $500 cash to the first person who could tell me who Conor McGregor was, nobody would win.

I think he needs to cross over into pop culture to get into those Mayweather gates. Perhaps his first movie or winning two titles. Something has to pop for him to jump up to the next level of public awareness.

Some fighters are already there, most notably Conor and Ronda.
The thing is, Ronda is now done, and Conor is about to take a potentially similar massive marketability hit.
Honestly, though, the popularity of the sport is such that gates are already there, it's just a matter of timing, and the right fights to pique the larger general public's interest in any particular event.

It's a continuous production cycle of finding the next big thing that can captivate an audience. Fighting skill alone isn't enough to have a major event.

UFC 194 literally had a world tour to support it. Think about that. They spent millions of dollars going wheels up to cities around the world promoting this fight and dumped an enormous amount of money, time and resources into it.

McGregor is no doubt a star when it comes to promotion and a very legitimate champion, but to this day I've still never met another person in real life who knew his name.

My office of 30-40 people represents a fairly good cross section of age and background. The last few years it was blowing my mind how nearly everyone knew of Rousey. If not directly, they knew of her tangentially. She most definitely crossed over into pop culture.

Other than friends I talk to about MMA, hardcore fans like myself, I've never met a person who knew Conor. If I stood up on a desk in my office and offered $500 cash to the first person who could tell me who Conor McGregor was, nobody would win.

I think he needs to cross over into pop culture to get into those Mayweather gates. Perhaps his first movie or winning two titles. Something has to pop for him to jump up to the next level of public awareness.
Time to line up a sob story for Ellen, Conor.

Still cannot believe how shitty Pac fought in that fight after all that hype --' And he thought he deserved to win, which is most ridiculous.

Conor just did $10.1 million, I don't think they will though, but let me tell you something, I listen to a lot of boxing podcasts and lately MMA has had boxing on the ropes in terms of PPV market, Ronda & Conor sell more PPVs than any active boxer, they won't shutup about how the UFC always has the best fighting the best and how boxing politics stops them from getting the best fights.

Lol. It's like Im looking at 2007.

Aren't the biggest gates in MMA history from years ago?

Back