Crime Will the new Work From Home economy have an effect on crime? Miami reports no murders for 7 weeks...

brackis1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
https://nypost.com/2020/04/24/miami-goes-7-weeks-without-homicide-for-first-time-since-1957/

"The city of Miami experienced its first seven-week period without a single homicide since 1957 "

This got me thinking about how if we encouraged more work from home behaviors, neighborhoods would become waaaaay riskier for trying things like petty crime and the sort because the odds of someone being home, or a neighbor being home, would be increased dramatically.
Thoughts?

Last edited:
WFH is something we should have been doing a long time ago

less traffic
Less pollution
Less sexual harassment
Less rent
More free time

its a win win

holy shit. Florida.. calmed down?

less traffic
Less pollution
Less sexual harassment
Less rent
More free time

its a win win
Will absolutely wreck a lot of industries that cater to commuters tho like random lunch places, childcare workers, commercial real estate biz, and probably a few more I'm not thinking of.

I just hope it leads to more free time and not more time to be "at work"

Last edited:
IDK.

Since I started telecommuting from home, I've experienced a sharp increase in inappropriate workplace touching.

<{ohyeah}>
Dude, you gotta lock your door or Billy just wanders in.

Will absolutely wreck a lot of industries that cater to commuters tho like random lunch places, childcare workers, commercial real estate biz, and probably a few more I'm not thinking of.

I just hope it leads to more free time and not more time to be "at work"
Good points, but I think those places are not worth the sacrifice of thousands of people in car crashes etc.

I’m a custodian engineer @Trotsky and it would definitely have an impact on my job, but I’d happily look for a different vocation if it meant people don’t have to suffer in traffic/die as much.

Let’s hope they step away from the pointless 8 hour grind for good, though.

Hopefully this is the beginning of the end for cities too. We need to go back to towns and villages.

Cities may lose some of their utility but they're going no where for the next few hundred years. Maybe people will stop building new ones?

Cities may lose some of their utility but they're going no where for the next few hundred years. Maybe people will stop building new ones?

They will get bigger. There isn't much doubt. "progress", even at the expense of humanity's very existence.

There's been decreases in crime as much as 40% reported from some areas over here.

There is less public murder yes.
Wouldn't be surprised if we get a serial killer or two out of this.

less traffic
Less pollution
Less sexual harassment
Less rent
More free time

its a win win
There's also rises in domestic violence/abuse cases.

no murders, or no bodies?

giphy.gif

I always thought most crime down there is drug related. At least shooty stuff.

Doesn't it just mean that theres less cocaine and fentynal to fight over because the pandemic has made it harder and more expensive to make and smuggle the product?

Back