Will the Darce remain a rare MMA choke? (and submission thoughts for MMA)

Darce for small necks? I have had this issue...Have not tried this though.

How so? What is your opinion about the brabo/darce?

The brabo takes a decent amount of pressure to finish because your opponent has a lot of leverage in his arm especially if you don't get it in the right position in the setup.

To me the brabo choke requires strength unless you have long arms and it requires a bit of force to get it in deep if your opponent knows its coming. A lot of the times it turns out being a crank because it's not deep enough or whatever.

Like another poster mentioned Brabo means angry or aggressive.

The brabo takes a decent amount of pressure to finish because your opponent has a lot of leverage in his arm especially if you don't get it in the right position in the setup.

To me the brabo choke requires strength unless you have long arms and it requires a bit of force to get it in deep if your opponent knows its coming. A lot of the times it turns out being a crank because it's not deep enough or whatever.

Like another poster mentioned Brabo means angry or aggressive.

Fair enough, it just always seems so smooth when applied when I've seen them. Guys put it on, opponents dont feel the danger, and next thing you know they are sleeping.

Personally, I want to see more North-South chokes in MMA.

Definitely, I see it all the time, wide open. I have begun to use the N/S tons in my own training, people sometimes forget it is there. They are more worried about their arms or you moving into side or mount.

No thanks man, I already have more names and nick names than anyone would ever want:

Andrew, Drew, Foster, White Mike, Miguel Blanco, Rudy, Toby Dynamite, Remo, Burke (my middle name), Ang, Womby, and the list actually goes on. I swear I'm the only person where when I introduce myself to people, I have to pause and decide what to introduce myself as, depending on who is around me and who I'm talking to. In some circles, it would be dumb as hell to call myself White Mike. In others, I've had checks mailed to "Mike Foster" because people thought Mike was my real name. I've been White Mike since 2002 to most people. Go figure....

(I would actually like to change my name on Sherdog to White Mike, but I don't think you can change names here.)

Well Padlock changed his name to Poppa Rotzee, so it can be done. I'm not sure how though. Where does "White Mike" come from? That white drug dealer from Season 2 of The Wire?

Personally, I want to see more North-South chokes in MMA.

Me too. Whenever Jeff Monson or Rani Yahya fights I feel like I might see one though.

Rani is always pulling out badass chokes when he fights.

(Frank Mir is a funny announcer!)

Well Padlock changed his name to Poppa Rotzee, so it can be done. I'm not sure how though. Where does "White Mike" come from? That white drug dealer from Season 2 of The Wire?

Man that's wild that you're a Wire fan too. Best show of all time, easily.

I actually got the White Mike nickname before the Wire. These 3 guys in my high school were in a rap group. I gave them their name, and me and one of the guys started going to the Duke University radio station on Friday nights, because his friend, this producer named 9th Wonder, had a show there. For some reason, my friend, 9th and the rest of the Justus League (Little Brother, Median, L.E.G.A.C.Y., Away Team, etc.) started calling me White Mike. Just like, "Oh shit, White Mike is here!"

Little Brother got bigger after 9th Wonder sold beats to Jay-Z, Common, Mary J., etc. I was bored in college and wanted a break, so I ended up working for Little Brother (9th Wonder, Phonte, & Pooh) and eventually got my first check to "Mike Foster". I had to tell my boss that my name was Andrew Foster, and everyone tripped out. Some of them started to call me Drew, because I was doing business stuff at the time. But I couldn't shake the White Mike.

I later found out that White Mike was the name of a character on the Waynes Bros. TV show, and that he was a cool white dude. I guess that's where it came from... I'm not sure though lol.

Definitely, I see it all the time, wide open. I have begun to use the N/S tons in my own training, people sometimes forget it is there. They are more worried about their arms or you moving into side or mount.

For sure! I see it there all the time.

As much as I enjoy head-and-arm chokes Marcelo is right. As I said on mginaction, as far as naked chokes (arm chokes) go, all you really need is a good RNC, Guillotine, and North/South choke, and you'll pretty much be able to choke anyone with your arms from almost anywhere.

Fair enough, it just always seems so smooth when applied when I've seen them. Guys put it on, opponents dont feel the danger, and next thing you know they are sleeping.

Yes it's true in MMA most of ones we have seen have been very quick. The reason for this is because in MMA a lot of people use the underhook escape to get up and often they are able to scramble up but often you give up the brabo choke, it is also usually slippery so the arms slide in and they are used to protecting their head, a good example of this is Paulo Thiago vs Mike Swick.

Brabo chokes often don't feel like they are choking when they actually are so a lot of people go out it.

In reality though especially in gi, if you are setting up a Brabo choke it's a real bitch especially if you don't have long and strong arms.

Yes it's true in MMA most of ones we have seen have been very quick. The reason for this is because in MMA a lot of people use the underhook escape to get up and often they are able to scramble up but often you give up the brabo choke, it is also usually slippery so the arms slide in and they are used to protecting their head, a good example of this is Paulo Thiago vs Mike Swick.

Brabo chokes often don't feel like they are choking when they actually are so a lot of people go out it.

In reality though especially in gi, if you are setting up a Brabo choke it's a real bitch especially if you don't have long and strong arms.

Alan Belcher went to sleep real quick too when Kendall Grove used it. It took the ref a second to pull Grove off because I don't think he even knew what he was looking at. Notice how far back he's standing as the choke is obviously being applied. If Belcher's arm had been under Grove's chest the ref would not have seen it. The falling arm is what gave it away.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
Me too. Whenever Jeff Monson or Rani Yahya fights I feel like I might see one though.

Rani is always pulling out badass chokes when he fights.

(Frank Mir is a funny announcer!)

What direction is Frank Mir saying he should turn? Towards Yahya's elbow or towards his stomach?

What direction is Frank Mir saying he should turn? Towards Yahya's elbow or towards his stomach?

From that angle he should try to put his left ear on the mat. By turning his head to the right, he's putting himself in deeper water. In all honesty, no matter which way he turned, he is wide open for a super tight elbow lift Guillotine choke, and Rani is a choke master and would have finished with something regardless of any escape attempt.

Darce for small necks? I have had this issue...Have not tried this though.

don't do it like that. his angle is off, and a good opponent will get out. He's basically showing a variation on the "Twist" i mentioned in a couple other threads, but he's showing it in a way that leaves you completely vulnerable to counters. Maybe I'll get a video up on Advanced darce finishing for everyone to show what I'm talking about. In the mean time here's my other posts:

You want your grip (mata leao style) to be as deep as possible (wrist deep), but one of the more common mistakes I encounter when teaching the darce is actually students reaching their choking arm too deep... to the point where the blade of their forearm is no longer on the Carotid Artery and is instead on the back of the neck/spine; this actually creates space for the carotid to continue flowing and puts pressure that belongs on the artery on the spine turning it into a neck crank... one of the more common reasons people tend to crank the neck with a darce is going "too deep".

For a perfect darce you want to lock it "WRIST DEEP" with your locking elbow literally pulling the guys head in, and the boniest part of your forearm flush across the soft tissue in the neck surrounding the carotid artery. From here you can use pressure to put an opponent to sleep very quickly, and there are further details to make it even faster. One being the way Paulo Thaigo "Twisted" the locked Darce.

When I say "twist" I don't mean disregard pressure and crank. Use all the same pressure and squeeze you normally would with a locked Darce, then use your "locking" elbow to pull your opponents head in as you twist your choking forearm into his neck like and upside down "Paper cutter". Add this to any tight darce for a quicker tap. I generally look for the mounted version displayed by Ryan Hall in this thread, combine that with a twist and it's game over for anyone. I'd even go as far as to say that once I get that position with a tight locked darce I don't think anyone could escape it.

the N/S angle is really bad for this technique

Last edited:
From that angle he should try to put his left ear on the mat. By turning his head to the right, he's putting himself in deeper water. In all honesty, no matter which way he turned, he is wide open for a super tight elbow lift Guillotine choke, and Rani is a choke master and would have finished with something regardless of any escape attempt.

That's the way I assumed you would escape the choke but technically that is turning away from the choke is it not? For a RNC when they say you turn into it look at the elbow but in this case you would not want to look at the bicep.

Escudero took Junie Browning out of TUF with it.

don't do it like that. his angle is off, and a good opponent will get out. He's basically showing a variation on the "Twist" i mentioned in a couple other threads, but he's showing it in a way that leaves you completely vulnerable to counters. Maybe I'll get a video up on Advanced darce finishing for everyone to show what I'm talking about. In the mean time here's my other posts:

the N/S angle is really bad for this technique

I agree entirely. In my experience, which obviously isn't as much as Scott Epstein's, the N/S angle is a bad one, at least for me.

Mikey it would be awesome if you could show a short video breaking down advanced Darce material. I would love to do one, but I have no idea how to put anything on Youtube. If someone tells me how to get video from a camera to a laptop to Youtube, I'm happy to do it though.

That's the way I assumed you would escape the choke but technically that is turning away from the choke is it not? For a RNC when they say you turn into it look at the elbow but in this case you would not want to look at the bicep.

You assume right. I don't know if there is a concrete rule for every single choke about turning into or away from it. Even if there is, once you know a rule, you are allowed to break it occasionally.

With the North/Sotuh choke it's better to turn your head towards their clasped hands. Either way, if they have a tight grip, you will probably get chokes out with the North/South or Guillotine no matter which side you turn to.

Back