Will Tate be Cyborgs 135 fight now?

DGT4NOW

Red Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Josh Nason from Meltzers site:
Purely speculation, but perhaps Tate vs. Cris 'Cyborg' Justino in a 135-pound co-main event is the reason this fight was made, leading to Rousey vs. either Tate or Justino at UFC 200 in July. That would seem to make a lot of sense, assuming 'Cyborg' fighting at 135 pounds can happen.

I think Tate was robbed of the shot, but that is not what the thread is about
If they put her & Borg as a co-headliner, the card will be huge & they can set up UFC 200 even better.

I was thinking that it's the fight to make if you want to build a Cyborg/Tate rematch. Or you give Cyborg a walk over just to test weight and go straight to a Rousey fight.

They both have pros and cons.

The question is whether the UFC is willing to risk a potential Cyborg loss against Tate. It would certainly cost them a lot of money since even if Tate beats Cyborg, people won't necessarily give Tate a ton of credit versus just assuming that Cyborg was over rated.

Been saying it for months but the best career move Meisha can make is to call out cyborg. 35 or 40 wouldn't matter per se but that fight actually guarantees Meisha a title shot

I was thinking that it's the fight to make if you want to build a Cyborg/Tate rematch. Or you give Cyborg a walk over just to test weight and go straight to a Rousey fight.

The question is whether the UFC is willing to risk a potential Cyborg loss against Tate. It would certainly cost them a lot of money since even if Tate beats Cyborg, people won't necessarily give Tate a ton of credit versus just assuming that Cyborg was over rated.

We think a lot alike man

But I think if Tate beats Borg, that it will make the Tate fight even bigger
It make sense after the BS Holm match is announced

Been saying it for months but the best career move Meisha can make is to call out cyborg. 35 or 40 wouldn't matter per se but that fight actually guarantees Meisha a title shot

She said a long time ago she wanted Borg
Tate is not a scared fighter

No, too much danger Tate wins.

If Cyborg ever fights at 135:
1st fight against someone like Jessamyn Duke to prove she can make weight and still fight
2nd fight against Rousey

It would be balls deep if Tate fought Cris @ 40. If Cyborg fights Tate @ 35 and puts a beating on her, we well may see R3 retire.

I think Holm should have got a fight or two under her belt before the title shot but it is a Bethe type sell "undefeated vs undefeated". It may also be a confidence builder for Rousey as it will be her first fight against a striker and UFC likely hopes it gives her some confidence in getting over her fear of fighting Cris.

It is definitely the fight they should make. But I don't think they will. It would be a "waste" if Tate beats Cris. Each of them will get someone they should beat, and so will Cat. Those are your next three title shots.

well at this point i doubt the ufc has much faith in borg actually making 135. why not book her against tate? tate will still take the fight if borg doesn't make weight and if borg does make weight and wins you have a legit superfight on your hands

Cyborg vs someone she's guaranteed to crush at 135 and Tate vs. Nunes for #1 contender

Or

Cyborg vs someone she's guaranteed to crush at 135 and Tate vs Kaufman rematch and Nunes vs. Davis rematch

well at this point i doubt the ufc has much faith in borg actually making 135. why not book her against tate? tate will still take the fight if borg doesn't make weight and if borg does make weight and wins you have a legit superfight on your hands

That is what I am thinking
It will also END any convo about her making 135 or not.

if Borg doesn't make it, replace Borg with Nunes

She said a long time ago she wanted Borg
Tate is not a scared fighter

Ehh I would say her previous statements were more along the lines of her being open to that fight as opposed to want. I definitely don't think Meisha is scared

In my opinion, at this point, Meisha should be actively campaigning for that fight on nearly a daily basis. Would keep her name relevant and yes it's still her best career move.

Ehh I would say her previous statements were more along the lines of her being open to that fight as opposed to want. I definitely don't think Meisha is scared

In my opinion, at this point, Meisha should be actively campaigning for that fight on nearly a daily basis. Would keep her name relevant and yes it's still her best career move.

Very fair point

That would make a lot of sense. Tate deserves another shot, but I don't think many people are fond of trilogies, including myself, especially when said fighter is 0-2 against her. If Tate beats Cyborg then she definitely deserves her 3rd shot, it Cyborg wins, then give her the fight.

They want Cyborg to lose. They want her no where near Rousey until she's gone down hill. They don't believe they can build on Cyborg in the way they can build the big marketing machine they have around Rousey. If they wanted the Rousey v Cyborg fight then they would feed Cyborg some easy wins to build up her image to the casuals and make it a super fight. Instead they are throwing their toughest non Rousey fighter at Cyborg straight away.

Agreed. It also makes Rousey look like she was scared. Sort of what happened in the Aldo vs McGregor fallout. Even if Aldo wins in their Fight, his courage will always be questioned.

Back