Will Robbie look to utilize takedowns against Carlos?

theBLADE1

The sharpest poster on the Sher
@Black
Reaction score
Just because Lawler mostly decides to stand and trade shots doesn't mean he isn't a great wrestler. Hell his takedown defense is proof of that. Opponents of Carlos in the past have had great success with mixing in takedowns with their strikes to stifle Carlos from circling and Robbie was able to take down Matt Brown and Bobby Volker.

You've got to think the coaches at ATT will suggest that Lawler utilizes this aspect of his game along with some vicious ground and pound right? There is always the possibility that Carlos could nab a submission but I think at this point in Robbie's career his defense is probably enough to evade Carlos's guard and get to a dominant position to land devastating power shots from the mount.

Thoughts?

The one time Robbie won't have to worry about being taken down or pressed against the cage. Fuck no he won't try and wrestle.

Nope. This fight is going to look just like Lawler/McDonalds 2

The one time Robbie won't have to worry about being taken down or pressed against the cage. Fuck no he won't try and wrestle.

But the only way Carlos has a chance is standing. I'm sure Robbie likes his chances standing as well, but Lawler has very underrated wrestling and ground and pound which I think could be a great asset to him in this fight.

Robbie is gonna knock him out

But the only way Carlos has a chance is standing. I'm sure Robbie likes his chances standing as well, but Lawler has very underrated wrestling and ground and pound which I think could be a great asset to him in this fight.

How do we know he has underrated wrestling? Good takedown defense doesn't magically give you a power double.

Also Condit has 13 wins by submission, standing is definitely not his only chance to win.

No way Robbie doesn't keep this fight standing.

Carlos said he has worked his wrestling a lot while he was injured. We got a taste of that when Alves tried to clinch him, and Condit rag-dolled him like a sack of potatoes. I hope that means he has improved his TDD as well, Condit with TDD is a scary thought.

I feel like this fight is going to be a let down

Maybe because I had the same feeling of a potential all time great fight before Diaz/Condit and it turned out the way it did

Condit has one of the best guards in the WW division...he damages guys from the bottom and has a lot of submission wins.

Condit could submit Lawler if he got careless.

It would be the smart idea, but I doubt it. Lawler is riding such a wave of confidence right now, he'll fight like he's invincible.

How do we know he has underrated wrestling? Good takedown defense doesn't magically give you a power double.

Also Condit has 13 wins by submission, standing is definitely not his only chance to win.

No way Robbie doesn't keep this fight standing.

Robbie is physically much stronger than Carlos. To me it doesn't seem that far-fetched that if a clinch should occur that Robbie could ragdoll him to the ground. Robbie's first discipline was wrestling, and there's no reason to believe that Condit could or would stop the take down.

Robbie is physically much stronger than Carlos. To me it doesn't seem that far-fetched that if a clinch should occur that Robbie could ragdoll him to the ground. Robbie's first discipline was wrestling, and there's no reason to believe that Condit could or would stop the take down.
Condit says he's been working on his wrestling. Maybe we'll see these improvements in the fight. Right now, for me, Condit's wrestling is a bit of a question mark.

Condit says he's been working on his wrestling. Maybe we'll see these improvements in the fight. Right now, for me, Condit's wrestling is a bit of a question mark.

That's kinda what I'm thinking as well. Lawler also has shown good submission defense in the past and it's only gotten better as of recently. I honestly think a few take down attempts might benefit Robbie so long as he's not careless.

He wrestled in high school over 15 years ago lol

We're talking about the guy that stood and traded with Melvin Manhoef at a heavier weight class and didn't try and take him down. Why all of a sudden after a 15 year career do you believe he'll just up and randomly decide "yep, I'm gonna wrestle today"?

So TS Robbie's TDs could be used to stifle the circling of Condit but I thought circling efficiently helped avoid TDs?

(Not being a sarcastic ass, actually am curious)

He wrestled in high school over 15 years ago lol

We're talking about the guy that stood and traded with Melvin Manhoef at a heavier weight class and didn't try and take him down. Why all of a sudden after a 15 year career do you believe he'll just up and randomly decide "yep, I'm gonna wrestle today"?

One because Robbie is the stronger man at welterweight. And are you forgetting where Robbie trains his wrestling now? He has incredible wrestlers that he trains with day in and day out at American top team. he is probably 10 times the wrestler now than what he was in high school and almost certainly a better wrestler than Carlos.

I'd say yes. If its easy to exploit, why not right?

Back