Will Powerlifting/Weightlifting always be a boring sport?

A 2x bodyweight squat is indicative usually of the ending of beginner/ early intermediate progress. For all sports other than strength sports it’s plenty strong enough. I don’t know Drew’s experience in other sports but he’s right about it not being too strong for a power lifter which I know is what world he’s is coming from.

Im 29 and never been anywhere close to using or wanting to use gear. I cant see myself using either, unless im in my late 40s and its for health.

The concept of being reliant on a drug to perform is a huge turn off to me. What if you leave to Europe for a month? What if you take a vacation? What if you lose your job and cant afford it? Not even mentioning all the health issues related to it.

You don't have to be taking the gear that balloons you up with 30lbs of water weight whilst making your pee brown.

I know plenty of healthy guys on steroids. Some are over 50 and feel better than they have ever felt. They get blood work done, and supervised by their doctors.

You don't have to be pumping industrial grade into you...Some, like I, are far more interested in the recovery aspect and health benefits when it's done right.

These guys aren't Rich Piana or whatever the fuck his name was.

Also, depending on what you're trying to accomplish, your efforts while on certain cycles will pretty much stay with you if you are consistent with diet and training.

Also, come back after you hit 30...Trust me, at 28 I was laughing at my 32-40 year old buddies. Once you hit that after 30 slap to the body, you will wonder how the fuck it happened.

In what world are you living in where squatting more than double your BW isnt strong? Not everyone aspires to be a drugged up powerlifter. Anyone who can put up more than 4 plates on their back and squat below parallel is strong, by any standards.
No, but it is strong by the standards of a regular chain gym. IE, casuals who dont follow programming. Just understand the distinction between "strong for a casual" and actually strong. Not even talking about powerlifter standards here. Saquon Barkley was squatting 500 for reps and power cleaning 405 as a college sophomore. That's strong. A 4 plate squat is only strong for a recreational weekend lifter.

But don't delude yourself into thinking you'd hit elite numbers if you tried harder. Most don't because they instinctually know it's not in them. They recognize just how average their genetics are, if even subconsciously.

In what world are you living in where squatting more than double your BW isnt strong? Not everyone aspires to be a drugged up powerlifter. Anyone who can put up more than 4 plates on their back and squat below parallel is strong, by any standards.
I like how you assume powerlifters are drugged up because they're stronger than you.

You don't have to be taking the gear that balloons you up with 30lbs of water weight whilst making your pee brown.

I know plenty of healthy guys on steroids. Some are over 50 and feel better than they have ever felt. They get blood work done, and supervised by their doctors.

You don't have to be pumping industrial grade into you...Some, like I, are far more interested in the recovery aspect and health benefits when it's done right.

These guys aren't Rich Piana or whatever the fuck his name was.

Also, depending on what you're trying to accomplish, your efforts while on certain cycles will pretty much stay with you if you are consistent with diet and training.

Also, come back after you hit 30...Trust me, at 28 I was laughing at my 32-40 year old buddies. Once you hit that after 30 slap to the body, you will wonder how the fuck it happened.

You're literally referencing less than 1% of guys who use. You're talking about guys over 50 who use responsibly under medical supervision. The ''average'' user is 30-40, never got close to elite numbers drug free and just pumps up high dosages like a retard. I personally look down on people who are users.

No, but it is strong by the standards of a regular chain gym. IE, casuals who dont follow programming. Just understand the distinction between "strong for a casual" and actually strong. Not even talking about powerlifter standards here. Saquon Barkley was squatting 500 for reps and power cleaning 405 as a college sophomore. That's strong. A 4 plate squat is only strong for a recreational weekend lifter.

But don't delude yourself into thinking you'd hit elite numbers if you tried harder. Most don't because they instinctually know it's not in them. They recognize just how average their genetics are, if even subconsciously.

That's the issue with internet experts. You claim that for some casual guy with average genetics, who doesnt follow any programming, a 405 squat is alright. You have to realize that less than 1 man out of 100 (regular gym goers) squats 405. I don't know who are you comparing with, but certainly it's a very distorted view of reality. Tons of people claim 405 squats online, yet they are almost impossible to find IRL.

If your reference point is based on people who 1) use drugs, 2) devote their entire life to powerlifting and 3) have elite genetics, you will always have a skewed perception of reality.

I like how you assume powerlifters are drugged up because they're stronger than you.

Most competitive powerlifters are drugged up, that is a fact. The sad part is, some still have mediocre lifts. Also, I don't powerlift, I sure hope they are better than me at something I don't do. I don't care. Just like they probably don't care that I have a superior 5k time, am better at calisthenics and could toy with them in a ring, because they don't train for that.

That's the issue with internet experts. You claim that for some casual guy with average genetics, who doesnt follow any programming, a 405 squat is alright. You have to realize that less than 1 man out of 100 (regular gym goers) squats 405. I don't know who are you comparing with, but certainly it's a very distorted view of reality. Tons of people claim 405 squats online, yet they are almost impossible to find IRL.

If your reference point is based on people who 1) use drugs, 2) devote their entire life to powerlifting and 3) have elite genetics, you will always have a skewed perception of reality.

You're the one boasting about how you have these incredible lifts when in fact they are quite common. I'm sure it's impressive when you lift among suburban dads who have no athletic accomplishments. But if you lift in any gym with collegiate athletes, you'd be humbled real quick. So I guess it's all relative. You can go on pretending you're the king of your gym outlifting men who were ordered to exercise by their doctors so they dont keel over from exertion while banging their wives.

You're the one boasting about how you have these incredible lifts when in fact they are quite common. I'm sure it's impressive when you lift among suburban dads who have no athletic accomplishments. But if you lift in any gym with collegiate athletes, you'd be humbled real quick. So I guess it's all relative. You can go on pretending you're the king of your gym outlifting men who were ordered to exercise by their doctors so they dont keel over from exertion while banging their wives.

Again, complete delusion. Go find me drug free college athletes squatting 405 ATG for reps. Good luck.

Again, complete delusion. Go find me drug free college athletes squatting 405 ATG for reps. Good luck.

I was! If JC and a double count.

Last edited:
I'll do you one better. Here's a HS kid doing it.

Any football camp in America has teens who will outsquat you. Why get so bent out of shape about it?

This isnt rare or atypical. However, this 170 pound teen squatting 530 is.

Again, these arent powerlifters. Just student athletes like you'd find anywhere.

Really?
I was on the track team and UWO and although athletes were heavily supplemented, I'm not sure any were taking PEDs. throwers were hitting 405, easily. And I'm sure my brother who weighed about 185 squatted 405 a few times. You're really reaching. I agree, there is an epidemic level of PEDs out there, but plenty of people squat 405...

While I do think a lot of people overestimate the general population at the gym, I think the bold is off. Just a quick example - I vacationed in Hilton Head and went to a gym every morning with a powerlifting/oly lifting area sectioned out. I was the strongest guy there each time...I should not be.

With that said, a 405 lbs should not be that difficult to achieve. I got to a 405 lbs squat in a year and half of training. During that year and a half, I was also chasing conditioning numbers on things like 100 burpees, 5k, timed mile, etc. I was definitely not focused on being a powerlifter.

You're literally referencing less than 1% of guys who use. You're talking about guys over 50 who use responsibly under medical supervision. The ''average'' user is 30-40, never got close to elite numbers drug free and just pumps up high dosages like a retard. I personally look down on people who are users.

Most competitive powerlifters are drugged up, that is a fact. The sad part is, some still have mediocre lifts. Also, I don't powerlift, I sure hope they are better than me at something I don't do. I don't care. Just like they probably don't care that I have a superior 5k time, am better at calisthenics and could toy with them in a ring, because they don't train for that.
In Matt Wennings So You Think You Can Squat series, the dude maxed at 475lbs and Wenning called him a novice lifter.

I'll do you one better. Here's a HS kid doing it.

Any football camp in America has teens who will outsquat you. Why get so bent out of shape about it?

This isnt rare or atypical. However, this 170 pound teen squatting 530 is.

Again, these arent powerlifters. Just student athletes like you'd find anywhere.

College athletes are likely on drugs as they need to be to be pros. Look at how Gronkowski deflated after leaving the NFL. Proof positive that nfl athletes take drugs.

I wish steroids didn’t exist. I feel like such a bitch until I see top end athletes not on juice, and the gap looks reasonable, or even non-existent.
Go back to pre-fifties, and lean at 190lbs was a good sized lad. Big enough to win a heavyweight belt in boxing.

While I do think a lot of people overestimate the general population at the gym, I think the bold is off. Just a quick example - I vacationed in Hilton Head and went to a gym every morning with a powerlifting/oly lifting area sectioned out. I was the strongest guy there each time...I should not be.

With that said, a 405 lbs should not be that difficult to achieve. I got to a 405 lbs squat in a year and half of training. During that year and a half, I was also chasing conditioning numbers on things like 100 burpees, 5k, timed mile, etc. I was definitely not focused on being a powerlifter.
Highest I ever got was 275. I don’t squat heavy anymore (I never did, lol!).

Squat is a tough one because so many people don’t hit depth and claim bigger numbers.

Personally, it is a distinct minority of gym goers I’ve seen who can hit a below parallel 405.

405 is rare, wether people want to admit it or not. I never said it was elite levels of strength or hard to achieve. I said that people here act like 405 is a joke, while IRL (not online forums where everyone reps 500) you can go to 3-4 commercial gyms in 1 night and see 0 people doing it.

Again, Im talking about a controlled, below parallel 405 squat. The kid in the video posted above is insanely strong for his age/size, but 1) hes getting help and 2) hes a freak genetic wise and thus should not be used as an example.

People here really underestimate the rampant use of steroids in sports, colleges and even HS while overestimating what the average athlete can do strength wise.

405 is rare, wether people want to admit it or not. I never said it was elite levels of strength or hard to achieve. I said that people here act like 405 is a joke, while IRL (not online forums where everyone reps 500) you can go to 3-4 commercial gyms in 1 night and see 0 people doing it.

Again, Im talking about a controlled, below parallel 405 squat. The kid in the video posted above is insanely strong for his age/size, but 1) hes getting help and 2) hes a freak genetic wise and thus should not be used as an example.

People here really underestimate the rampant use of steroids in sports, colleges and even HS while overestimating what the average athlete can do strength wise.

If only 1 out of 100 gym goers can hit 405 lbs and 405 lbs is rare, aren't you implying that it is hard to achieve?

If only 1 out of 100 gym goers can hit 405 lbs and 405 lbs is rare, aren't you implying that it is hard to achieve?

Rare and hard are two different things. Most people are lazy pieces of shit.

Back