Will overhead squat help me with my posture?

Rusk

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Just noticed that my posture is kind of bad. Rounded shoulders and hatchback. Nothing too extreme though.

Stretching does nothing for me so I was wondering if there are any exercise I can do to fix it. Overhead squat should work right? Any other suggesting Will be greatly appreciated.

Yes, and also basics such as deadlifts, power cleans will help you with posture in grappling.

Band pull-aparts and proper strength training can really add to a good posture/mobility routine, overhead squats will however not do much for you if your posture isn't good already.

Just noticed that my posture is kind of bad. Rounded shoulders and hatchback. Nothing too extreme though.

Stretching does nothing for me so I was wondering if there are any exercise I can do to fix it. Overhead squat should work right? Any other suggesting Will be greatly appreciated.
I have never seen someone overhead squat without already having excellent posture (and superb back strength).

Sounds like you have tight pecs, you need to keep stretching them to get rid of that hunched forward/rounded look.

I have never seen someone overhead squat without already having excellent posture (and superb back strength).
I've seen it, and it isn't nice to look at.

i think all types of overhead work or even handstand training is good.
i noticed that turkish get ups really improved my posture when i did them for low reps with a challenging weight. i noticed an improved awareness of posture throughout the day. in my experience this was the best exercise to teach me that being perfectly upright position.

you can workout the back all day long but if you don't make a habit out of sitting or standing good you will never improve. it's more of a all day habit than finding the right exercises. i advice people to buy small red stickers and place them at their desk, in the kitchen, on their screen etc. to remind them to sit right and check yourself.

also meditation has improved my awareness and also the ability for sitting upright very much.

Agree with those saying you're going to need some level of posture / mobility to begin with to get into the Overhead Squat position, and many with posture issues don't have that.

One way to build up to that is what I call window openers:

That'd help work with the pecs flexibility to get into the overhead squat position. I've had clients where even that's too hard. In which case you can go supine first:

If that's too hard i.e. getting the arms down hurts or makes your fingers go numb or something, you can elevate the elbows, lowering them over time until you're flexible enough to get the elbows (and wrists) on the floor.

Agree with those saying you're going to need some level of posture / mobility to begin with to get into the Overhead Squat position, and many with posture issues don't have that.

One way to build up to that is what I call window openers:

That'd help work with the pecs flexibility to get into the overhead squat position. I've had clients where even that's too hard. In which case you can go supine first:

If that's too hard i.e. getting the arms down hurts or makes your fingers go numb or something, you can elevate the elbows, lowering them over time until you're flexible enough to get the elbows (and wrists) on the floor.

What's your background?

What's your background?

Formal? Degree in exercise science.

Less formal: Played football for a long time so get familiar with many injuries from that. Once I started working with everyday people (personal training) I realized how many of them were also beat up. Shirley Sahrmann is where a lot of my physical therapy type knowledge is based. Love her courses and books.

Formal? Degree in exercise science.

Less formal: Played football for a long time so get familiar with many injuries from that. Once I started working with everyday people (personal training) I realized how many of them were also beat up. Shirley Sahrmann is where a lot of my physical therapy type knowledge is based. Love her courses and books.
Alright, your videos are pretty cool. I haven't heard of her, but I might check her out.

I will tell you my experience. Stretching is going to have to be part of it so don't give up on it yet. Stretch your pecs, delt/biceps origin, lats, and neck flexors. Nothing fancy but be consistent and make it a little uncomfortable.

As for the overhead squat helping, you've got the right idea but that's a bit of a technical move with a lot going on, its not the best for prehab/rehab. I would keep it simple, work the Y's, T's, and I's standing with a band. And do some scapular protraction in the horizontal plane. Doing them from the plank position, hands in contact with the floor, feet elevated, is probably best. Aside from that, spend a good bit of time working thoracic extension with a foam roller. I would also throw in some relatively light, neutral grip, shoulder width seated rows to engage the entire trap complex without bringing the levator scapulae into it too much. I cant imagine this not helping.

If any of this needs clarifying let me know.

Alright, your videos are pretty cool. I haven't heard of her, but I might check her out.

Appreciate it. If it's any help, I'd start with her first book (2002) rather than the most recent one. Can be a grinder to get through, but lays the foundation.

Stretching does nothing for me so I was wondering if there are any exercise I can do to fix it. Overhead squat should work right?
Possibly yes, probably no.

Back