Will Oprah Be Remembered in History

Daytime Talk Host
She has done good things, she has done annoying things, but she's a talk show host in the end.

It depends on how she spends her accumulated wealth as she enters her elder years.

none of the garbage we have on TV will be remembered in 100 years, they'll have enough with their own trash.

She's the most significant talk show host of the 20th century, or at worst the 2nd (behind Johnny Carson), so yeah, she's gonna be remembered for a good chunk of time. Obviously she won't be remembered as a financial baron because $2.7bn really isn't that special in that league. For example, at the time Rockefeller died in 1937, adjusting for inflation, his net worth was $340 billion. He pisses on any mogul alive today.

She's going to be remembered as a top 10 talk show host.

Along with:

Jerry Springer
Jenny Jones
Phil Donahue
Maury Povich
Riki Lake
Geraldo
Montel Williams

she'll be remembered for more than that, in my opinion. she is arguably the most influential woman in the world, at least in america, when it comes to culture. she is a heroine for african-american women, and women of other races. and maybe most importantly, her opinion carries a lot of weight, and she has the power to influence politics.

Doug Stanhope on Oprah: P.T. Barnum of the New Millennium.

[YT]Pv1AqwzRkeE[/YT]

this guy is a comedian. you can't take his opinion seriously when his goal is to make you laugh. comedians will say whatever it takes to make that happen, so who cares what he has to say.

this guy is a comedian. you can't take his opinion seriously when his goal is to make you laugh. comedians will say whatever it takes to make that happen, so who cares what he has to say.

While Stanhope is a standup I think he really believes everything he says.

She's going to be remembered as a top 10 talk show host.

Along with:

Jerry Springer
Jenny Jones
Phil Donahue
Maury Povich
Riki Lake
Geraldo
Montel Williams

I'm not gonna lie, I loved the shit out of Jenny Jones and her Geek to Chic episodes.

Lol like it matters; humanity is a joke anyway. Who gives a shit who gets remembered anymore...

Lol like it matters; humanity is a joke anyway. Who gives a shit who gets remembered anymore...
Time swallows all: great and pitiful alike.

The notion of glory is a truly complicated one, and it intrigues me, but the fact that sooner or later everyone will be forgotten, or an unread footnote at best, is why it's so addling to me that it seems to be our nature to desire this: remembrance after death.

I absolutely hate Oprah, and think she is a racist. However, she is one of the most iconic figures of the last 30+ years or so.

My fav. talk show host/troll, would have to be Jerry Springer, Morton Downey and Montell Williams.

Looking at my own awareness of 1914...the only people I can think off the top of my head were Herbert Hoover (I think he was President at the time...? Him or Woodrow Wilson, I just know he flanked FDR before or after)...and that World War I was going on. Beyond that I only can think of people whose names were co-opted for something else that lasted until now...like Andrew Carnegie (Carnegie Hall), Henry Ford.

I guess there are also groundbreaking people like Edison and Einstein. If Oprah puts her name on some product or building that's around forever, or she invents something amazing (or starts a war), then I think she'll be remembered in the common person's mind a century from now. Otherwise not really.

she'll be remembered for more than that, in my opinion. she is arguably the most influential woman in the world, at least in america, when it comes to culture. she is a heroine for african-american women, and women of other races. and maybe most importantly, her opinion carries a lot of weight, and she has the power to influence politics.

I agree. I remember reading that having her endorse a book or product on her show meant instant riches for the owner. middle aged American women are putty in her hand.

Time swallows all: great and pitiful alike.

The notion of glory is a truly complicated one, and it intrigues me, but the fact that sooner or later everyone will be forgotten, or an unread footnote at best, is why it's so addling to me that it seems to be our nature to desire this: remembrance after death.

The things that man gives meaning to, is an interesting subject indeed.

She has the biggest following in TV history. So much that her egotistical ass made a cable channel named after herself. So yeah, unfortunately she's not fading from memory.

Back