Will Okami keep his #5 ranking on sherdog? The most important question in MMA.

ethanfranklin

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ive worked out something positive from the last few days of debates and recriminations after Okami was fired from the UFC, for essentially not being attractive enough to the Org, regardless of status and accomplishment in the sport.

What MMA needs, and what UFC needs is something in all of our hands.

When i said, we own this sport, i wasnt joking.

I felt Dana had sold it out, and ultimately, dropped the torch.

IMHO what MMA needs and what UFC needs as sport is the following.

A strong independent journalism

A strong independent hard core.

Both these things should be defined by one thing.

See only violence.

Essentially what this means is trash talk and twitter followers are bullshit.

We are blind to anything that happens outside that cage.

We have our own rankings that are independent and see only what happens in the cage. No jumped up title fighters and no undue promotion of guys, just because they are "UFC" fighters. Not when the game has been changed to allow for the firing of ranked elite guys that are surplus to entertainment.

Im a film buff and back in the day, in France, there was a movement called Cahiers du Cin

Yes just like Fitch kept his ranking, until he lost to Burkman.

If you're hoping for a high degree of sophistication and quality from MMA journalism, you're likely to be disappointed. Okami should be somewhere in the top 10. It won't take much for him to by bumped, in all likelihood (though, it isn't outlandish to think he might deserve to be bumped at some point).

Of course he won't. They'll find some UFC MW to replace him nice and quick

Of course he won't. They'll find some UFC MW to replace him nice and quick

This site owes me nothing.

It owes you nothing.

Its a private website with inevitable ties to the UFC, and the mods have been good to let us all have this conversation in the first place.

The real point of the thread, is the sporting perspective im advocating.

And that too is just a perspective.

How you see the game is down to you.

One thing i would add to what i said -

My personal belief, although i understand others opposite viewpoint, is that the judges, no matter how human are one of the bastions of independence, the sport has, as a sport.

Of course they will get it wrong sometimes, but the decision should be taken as the result, however we feel about it personally.

Promoting people outside of results and attacking the judges ad infintum, is just another way to pervert the sport, and give more power to the Org.

And its not just UFC, the same holds true whoever the culprit is.

Its in a promoters interest to undermine decisions as it gives them more room to promote who they want.

You put more people to sleep than your hero Okami. Sherdog should cut you.

hk.gif

courtesy of Kimble

Lol. But to answer your questions, he will probably keep his rank, but win or lose he will continually drop in the rankings on account of not having the UFC marketing power and facing a weaker talent pool, wherever he ends up.

You put more people to sleep than your hero Okami. Sherdog should cut you.

Its a positive thread and a positive argument.

What you make of it, is up to you.

Your counter argument is juvenile though.

I would like to see only violence. And that is why I don't mind okami getting cut one bit.

Its a positive thread and a positive argument.

What you make of it, is up to you.

Your counter argument is juvenile though.

It wasn't a counter argument, merely an observation. Your obsession with the Okami cut is tedious and probably unhealthy.

This site owes me nothing.

It owes you nothing.

Its a private website with inevitable ties to the UFC, and the mods have been good to let us all have this conversation in the first place.

I'm well aware of this. I simply think he will lose his place in the top 10 sooner rather then later, and even if he doesn't lose his next fight, he'll drop out fairly quickly.

It wasn't a counter argument, merely an observation. Your obsession with the Okami cut is tedious and probably unhealthy.

The hallmark of mental illness is fantasy.

Im into reality bro.

You obviously care about the sport, as youve been here for 7 years.

I know you have more to give, than these posts.

Im making a purist argument, and you are addressing it with an ad hom attack.

Its beneath you.

honestly we don't know what went down behind the scenes as to why Okami was released...Im guessing something happened that we are not aware of...In any event he was clearly a fighter in decline with no promise to win a title, and or to put on exciting fights(maybe a minimal chance he could have been in an exciting fight)...Also this is not the most important question in mma as your thread is titled..Don't feel bad for okami he has plenty of oppertunites as a coach, trainer, etc,,,as well as fighting on the lower ranks once again.

Oh look, another Okami themed thread from Mr Franklin.

Stalker.

Oh look, another Okami themed thread from Mr Franklin.

Stalker.

Come back when youve actually read the OP. I dont mind you trolling me, but its a bit pathetic when youre going off a thread title.

honestly we don't know what went down behind the scenes as to why Okami was released...Im guessing something happened that we are not aware of...In any event he was clearly a fighter in decline with no promise to win a title, and or to put on exciting fights(maybe a minimal chance he could have been in an exciting fight)...Also this is not the most important question in mma as your thread is titled..Don't feel bad for okami he has plenty of oppertunites as a coach, trainer, etc,,,as well as fighting on the lower ranks once again.

Its not about Okami.

Its about what he left behind.

Its sad he was released and he was well liked, even though he was never the most notable. He embodied some very decent qualities.

But its not about Okami, its about what he left behind.

Sigh...who cares about the ranking. There are rules to fighting. Noone cares when GSP wrestles everyone for five rounds. But when anyone esle does it everyone acts like its the end of the world.

Come back when youve actually read the OP. I dont mind you trolling me, but its a bit pathetic when youre going off a thread title.

Its not about Okami.

Its about what he left behind.

Its sad he was released and he was well liked, even though he was never the most notable. He embodied some very decent qualities.

But its not about Okami, its about what he left behind.

It'd be nice if you had a point instead of trying to talk in some poetic convoluted bullshit.

Sigh...who cares about the ranking. There are rules to fighting. Noone cares when GSP wrestles everyone for five rounds. But when anyone esle does it everyone acts like its the end of the world.

My argument is that independent rankings are important, because they establish an order, that is based on accomplishment and merit.

This informs how we think of fighters and title fights.

It informs how we think about all fights, and its also gives birth to status.

I agree with you about GSP, although his game is very diverse. So is Okamis for that matter, but GSP is that little bit sharper.

It'd be nice if you had a point instead of all trying to talk in some poetic convoluted bullshit.

The cliff notes are highlighted nicely for people who find it hard to read and process a page of information.

Back