Will Nick Diaz surprise Anderson Silva?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by PLftw, Jan 13, 2015.

1. PLftw

PLftw Brown Belt

he just might and surprise Anderson and a lot of people who look at Nick as just a slow plotting flat footed one dimensional striker. Are you one of them?

no one believes this but i think Nick actually matches up well with Anderson. Nick doesnt just walk forward throwing 1-2. thats easy for athletic counter fighters like Anderson. yes hes a bit flat footed and Anderson's footwork could give him the most problems bc Anderson's quicker but it wont be easy for him to counter Diaz. Diaz throws a lot of combos and fades and doubles up on his jabs. thats tough on counter fighters.

if Andersons square up infront of Diaz hes getting hit. much like Sonnen who threw more then 1-2s, but fade straight left and 3 punch combos, 1-2 slip. i think Sonnens a bit lighter on his feet then Diaz and had Andersons hands down bc of the takedown threat though. but i think Sonnen also surprised him with his punches and maybe his speed and ability to get inside quickly. he adjusted like a champ though shortening his strikes from that counter punch to slick elbow. boom!

out in the open Diaz is still in trouble because of his lack of checking/defending/countering leg kicks. combined with Andersons quickness (if he uses it creating angles and not just trying to slip and roll right in front of him). if Anderson sees just another slow striker that cant take him down nick can create problems. just like against Weidman, putting himself against the fence thinking hes like Bonnar. that could be a mistake against diaz too.

people find this crazy but what Diaz was saying about the Chris fight is Anderson found it harder to counter Weidman bc he wasnt over committing/aggressive. he was using angles that werent exaggerated and kept his weight balanced. he also was doubling up on his punches and slipping after his strikes/combos. Anderson likely got caught by surprise and had to improvise as well. with countering and goating not working he started "lobbing kicks out there" (effective ones that made Chris have to adjust for the next fight). Diaz said that Anderson "had punches for that guy but didnt have *punches*" meaning Anderson had opportunities to hit Chris but didnt have the skill to do it because of his lack of boxing without ability to counter (thats arguable of course haha)

Nicks historically had trouble with strong wrestlers. but its his recent loss (not so recent calender wise) to Carlos that puts a lot of doubt. if Nick couldnt keep Carlos in front of him how the hell is he going to with Anderson?? i would argue that Carlos is a different fighter then Anderson though. well duh youre thinking, Andersons better! but Carlos made a clear gameplan to use angles and counter with combos that made diaz constantly have to reset. Anderson likes to "snipe" counter and doesnt always rely on using angles with his feet but his speed advantage and accuracy. Can Anderson win? he prob should actually. Will he? i have a feeling hes going to underestimate Nick and lose because he seems to have a history of doing that. likely due to too many "Yes men"

2. Yolandabecool**

Yolandabecool** Brown Belt

I don't think there is anything Diaz can do to surprise Silva.

The only thing that could surprise Silva is the dramatic decline of his in ring abilities.

3. Pudgy**

Pudgy** Purple Belt

I hope youre right, I want to see a good fight.

4. ib313

ib313 Imagine a Dystopian UFC

Diaz is learning Portuguese so he can trash talk in AS's native tongue.

5. MisterPerfect

MisterPerfect Blue Belt

6. rplende

rplende Green Belt

As much as i would love to see Nick win i am afraid facts are facts...he is just too slow for Anderson unfortunately!

7. Git rekt

Git rekt Blue Belt

Silva is going to eat to him alive. People are expecting some shell of a former self silva and are going to be disappointed when nick is made short work of.

8. The Landlord

The Landlord White Belt

Anderson is going to attack Diaz, that is a dangerous fight for both fighters in my opinion. I favor Anderson but who knows how tough nick really is. Anderson is not gonna run around for a decision like condit did. He's gonna try to end the fight. If he doesn't drop nick in the first 2 rounds he's in for a dog fight. Should be fun to watch!!!!!

9. Frozenkilt

Frozenkilt Purple Belt

The only surprise is how consistently overrated Nick Diaz is around here.

Mean mugging and flipping Anderson the finger isn't going to win him the fight.

10. Wayweary

Wayweary Silver Belt

Diaz is fighting an up hill battle no matter how you look at it. Look to see him get devastated in this fight. I rarely make a strong prediction, but unless Silva is a shadow of his former self, Nick has very little chance of even looking decent, much less winning. This is going to be one of the first times I've rooted for Silva, really, so I'm expecting a big payoff in this fight.

11. Rittsy

Rittsy Red Belt

I don't think this is going to be the fight everybody thinks it will be. I have an inkling that it'll go to the ground.

12. Loisaida

Loisaida Green Belt

I'm sure Silva will understand enough when Diaz has uttered "Bitch" for the 50th time.

13. MIKE BOWLING

MIKE BOWLING Purple Belt

Can someone translate wtf he said in that clip? Feel free to make me laugh

14. Jose Aldo Nova

Jose Aldo Nova in vino veritas Platinum Member

How is Diaz overrated? Most people don't believe Diaz is going to beat Silva, but state - correctly - Diaz has excellent boxing and wonderful mean-mugging. Sounds about right, yes?

15. RoryFan

RoryFan Wears Hats

Nailed it in the first post.

The question isn't "what's Nick going to do". It's what's Silva going to be able to do?

16. HelloJapan

HelloJapan Talking loud and saying nothing. Platinum Member

How about he just tackles english first.

17. taurus

taurus Tiger knee belt

the only thing that interests me in this fight is how many leg kicks Anderson uses.

After an injury like that, the priority is seeing him not afraid of it happening again.

18. C0NCH3TO

C0NCH3TO Gold Belt

This place would crash for hours if Nick somehow gets the win...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  19. Exemplar

Exemplar Fuligin Belt

Unless Anderson's skills/conditioning have drastically declined since pre-Wiedman, he should easily handle Diaz.

20. Diggem

Diggem Black Belt

Weidman nuthuggers are hoping that Diaz can pull out a fluke win. Not gonna happen nut swingers! :icon_lol: