Will Movie Theatres Cease To Exist?

No. People will always want that social experience while viewing movies. I don't care for most movies, because they are mostly garbage, but most people love them. Movies are a highly emotionally manipulative experience, and purposely so. From the pseudo-classical music scores, to the sound fluctuations during explosions, etc., same with light fluctuations, and then the trite plots, which are generally politically motivated now - all of it has the purpose to provoke a reaction, which the audience craves.
The social experience works both ways. Lot of annoying people in the theater. At home you can sit with your friends, order pizza,drink alcohol. You can go to the restroom whenever you feel like it and don't have to kick anyone elses legs on the way. You can pause the movie at anytime. You're not going to be late for the movie And find the way to your seat with a flashlight.I used to go to a lot of movies at the theaters at one point. But the juice wasn't worth the squeeze anymore.

All that being said, I will still go to the theaters to see maybe one movie in three to five years.Maybe Avatar depending on the reviews. Definitely The next Dune movie.

Saw Spiderman recently in a theater. Snuck a whole sub and a Gatorade in. I refuse to pay $94 for 2 drinks and a popcorn.

Movies theater for poor people who don't have 7 channel surround 18" sub and huge screens. Since there will always be poor people no won't go away just diminished.

They are slowly declining for regular films but big budget blockbusters still go strong nowadays so I’ll say no

they sort of did for me many years ago.

i saw avatar when it came out, this was the beginning of the end of my cinema trips. walked out half way because the movie sucked, and it was uncomfortable being shoulder to shoulder with fucking loud chewers, talkers and other annoying shit.

the next movie i saw was deadpool 1 with a homie of mine. while i had a good time watching the movie, after what i paid sat in dirty seats and fucked up my shoes i said never again. this was the last movie i went to the theaters for, everything else i watch i pirate now and watch in the comfort of my own home, i dont care if im watching a video of someone recording the movie. after ive saved like 40 fucking bucks and was able to smoke pot through out the entire movie it becomes worth it.

They'll never completely close them. The experience in an IMAX theatre, you can't replicate that shit. That's if your a billionaire. So it'll weather this storm and become popular again in the future. Once this covid thing dies down becomes a regular flu.

When I retired I set up a home theatre and I use it every night. The small town I moved to has an old theatre, but I prefer to watch at home these days.

I hope not. I love going to see big action block busters in the theater with my son. It's kind of our thing. I even signed up for the Cineplex Cineclub here in Canada (9.99$/month, 1 'free' movie, 20% discount on concession and every other movie ticket purchase is also only 9.99$).

On the other hand, if streaming became the only other option, I'm sitting pretty with my 110" Acoustically Transparent Screen, 4K Epson 5050UBe projector and ~4000 Watts of surround sound w/Dolby Atmos. Plus super comfortable reclining theatre seats.

I hope not. I love going to see big action block busters in the theater with my son. It's kind of our thing. I even signed up for the Cineplex Cineclub here in Canada (9.99$/month, 1 'free' movie, 20% discount on concession and every other movie ticket purchase is also only 9.99$).

On the other hand, if streaming became the only other option, I'm sitting pretty with my 110" Acoustically Transparent Screen, 4K Epson 5050UBe projector and ~4000 Watts of surround sound w/Dolby Atmos. Plus super comfortable reclining theatre seats.

Impressive set up you got there.

Movie audiences get more obnoxious each year.
2vBvwvn
It's really been awful recently. The crowd tries to make itself part of the show instead of just watching the movie. I get that some people like the shared experience, but I don't think a movie theater is really the place for that.

No, and I think the fact that some movies are still setting BO records and making crazy money during a pandemic, can put this argument to bed.

I think they'll decline but survive for the shorter term.
But when VR gets more advanced, that will probably kill them.

The idea of arcades dying never entered my head in the 80s.
But when home systems made huge leaps, it was over.

Only thing that will end them is VR, but we still need a couple more years

Back