Will Movie Theatres Cease To Exist?

On the weekend theaters reopened I saw Kong vs Godzilla and have been to at least 20-30 movies since then
Theres nothing like the magic of cinema

I don't know. I've wondered about that also. My feeling is that movie theaters are going away. But I've thought that for awhile end yet some theaters around here remain open.

The quality of movies Hollywood is making is down. I've thought that doesn't help. Mall traffic is declining and in the past most movie theatures were connected or near malls. When i was a kid it often worked out that as a family or with friends we would visit the mall to shop, later grab a bite to eat and then maybe stop off to watch a movie. That kind of thing no longer appears popular to do.

never really cared for movie theatres, actually i take that back since i had some good groping sessions with willing girls from way back in the day in the theatres. if i'm watching a movie that i really want to watch, i'd rather watch it in private. the whole concept of watching a movie with strangers is pretty weird.

Most movies are trash. I'm not into the commercial cookie cutter shit like marvel.

I went to see one movie this year twice at the cinema and it was Dune

It's kind of our thing. Both of us love films , much more than my wife or daughter . I mean we saw the trailer for Clifford and went ' I actually fancy that...'

Lol that's too cool.

Sadly, I think they are doomed. The prices here are just too much to justify....I can go to a very nice dinner and then go home and watch the movie for free. I love going but times have changed. People have no manners, selfish behavior can ruin experience. Its just easier to stay home, but it isnt the same.

upload_2022-1-14_15-26-55.png

Movie audiences get more obnoxious each year.
2vBvwvn
wanted to kill everyone during Endgame....

wanted to kill everyone during Endgame....

Last time I was in a theatre this big fast ass Ho walked up and asked for me seat. Like a random fat heavy breathing slob with a 5 gallon tub of popcorn and big gulp.

Told her hell no. There were seats all over.

Fuckers were playing on their phones, texting each other from 8 feet way, laughing then verbally answering said text before firing off another idiotic epitaph to the same lame brain.

It was worse than a kindergarten class.

I don't know how people stand it for the cost.

I think we can see the market shrink but never disappear. There is too much money to be made by the concessions. Now a lot of places are serving alcohol aswell.

Sadly, I think they are doomed. The prices here are just too much to justify....I can go to a very nice dinner and then go home and watch the movie for free. I love going but times have changed. People have no manners, selfish behavior can ruin experience. Its just easier to stay home, but it isnt the same.

View attachment 902690

If they depended on me, they would have been broke long ago. The last time I was in a theater for a movie was 1985. I was kind of looking forward to it but the movie was being shown in one side of what had been the balcony. Sitting in the back row, we were 25 feet from the screen. They divided the theater into 4 different theaters. 2 on the ground floor and 2 in the balcony.

Seeing the prices listed it seems crazy.

I went to see spiderman during the day and had some mothers kid talk the entire time causing me to move seats. The kid would randomly make noise or ask who any character was every 4 minutes. It was torture. Only way I will go to a movie theater is if its opening night and its a huge movie. Otherwise the house is just way less annoying at this point.

They are in decline.

The real tell when be when the 25-ish year leases on the megaplexes expire (should be very soon).

Just like indoor shopping malls, the market has shifted due to many factors.

intro-1591658812.jpg

Most movies are trash. I'm not into the commercial cookie cutter shit like marvel.

I went to see one movie this year twice at the cinema and it was Dune

I'm looking forward to watching Dune 2 in the Las Vegas dome once it opens hopefully.

I won't watch any other movie in theatre.

I fuckin hope not. But Hollywood also has to get back to putting out really good shit. Not just eye candy which some of these green screen films do have effects wise. But I need good stories too. Some ‘No Country For Old Men’ level stuff.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

With what's being put out these days; I really don't miss going to the theater much.

Twenty years ago when I saw these insane multi hundred million dollar multiplexes being built I told my friend they would all get phased out eventually.

TV's aren't what they were. My Sony Bravia 4K OLED has insane clarity which theatres don't really have. Screens are getting bigger, Internet for streaming is getting cheaper, faster. Dolby sound systems are giving you amazing surround sound options. Get a lazyboy and your set.

AND add to all this the metaverse is incoming and VR can literally create a virtual theatre in front of YOU.

Theatres are done.

Twenty years ago when I saw these insane multi hundred million dollar multiplexes being built I told my friend they would all get phased out eventually.

TV's aren't what they were. My Sony Bravia 4K OLED has insane clarity which theatres don't really have. Screens are getting bigger, Internet for streaming is getting cheaper, faster. Dolby sound systems are giving you amazing surround sound options. Get a lazyboy and your set.

AND add to all this the metaverse is incoming and VR can literally create a virtual theatre in front of YOU.

Theatres are done.

That does really show up now when I go to the cinema, the sound systems obviously better and its bigger but really quality wise its not as good as an OLED TV.

I'm guessing cinemas will try and push more towards quality to fight back and maybe 8K might start to become more common(not sure it will ever take off for home viewing much) but Hollywood will likely struggle to make blockbusters to exploit it. Ironically smaller scale films should be quite easy to do in 8K but CGI at that resolution would be just too expensive, very few films even do it at 4K, most are still just HD.

No. People will always want that social experience while viewing movies. I don't care for most movies, because they are mostly garbage, but most people love them. Movies are a highly emotionally manipulative experience, and purposely so. From the pseudo-classical music scores, to the sound fluctuations during explosions, etc., same with light fluctuations, and then the trite plots, which are generally politically motivated now - all of it has the purpose to provoke a reaction, which the audience craves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back