Will modern UFC fans ever be as passionate as Pride Fans?

Only "circles" because you don't have a real response.

Check the original post I responded to. You can say that person was "speculating on motives" as well

Exactly. It was speculation to which you replied with your own little bit of speculation. Now I can reply with speculation of my own (because it's not hard to do) but I ask you, what's the point?
We're going to trade opinions 'cos that's all we've got, until someone gets annoyed.

Is it really worth that much to you?
Or do you have something of substance to add?

No chance, the TMZ population has taken over.

Ayyy lmao

Pride had WAYY more pro wrestling antics than UFC

if anything the TMZ crowd would've loved PRIDE even more with the "chute boxe vs BTT" or "fedor avenging his brothers loss" or minowaman superhluk storylines

PRIDE fans had so much passion that PRIDE died.

Pride was built on the love for the game

UFC has shat on the golden age of mma.

Pride fans had a broader appreciation of Mma than the new generation of fans.

Perhaps in some ways, in others I'm not so sure. People hated on GDP for not fighting like Pride icons such as Shogun and Wanderlei, but GSP really does epitomize MMA

Generally, the golden age of anything is JUST before it turns mainstream and money comes flowing into it to capitalise on its burgeoning popularity.

Happens with games, tv, movies, etc

Bands even more-so

Exactly. It was speculation to which you replied with your own little bit of speculation. Now I can reply with speculation of my own (because it's not hard to do) but I ask you, what's the point?
We're going to trade opinions 'cos that's all we've got, until someone gets annoyed.

Is it really worth that much to you?
Or do you have something of substance to add?

I've backed up my opinions though.

It's one thing to have an opinion.

It's another to back it up.

I disagree. For some there is no passion; it has been replaced by hype. Not the same thing. If it were, you wouldn't see everyone and their dog jumping on and off bandwagons all day on here.

Neil Magny loses 1 fight - Sherdog thread: Magny hype gone in the blink of an eye like it never existed. 1 fight, as though he doesn't have the opportunity to fight again and do better.

You have fallen prey to a common fallacy around these parts. The fact that a thread was made and a certain number fans say Magny was all hype does not mean anyone jumped off his bandwagon. When a fighter wins, his fans are more vocal. When a fighter loses, his critics are more vocal. It can seem like a lot of folks jumped ship, but that isn't usually the case.

One of the biggest issues the UFC has in terms of the way they market fights is that, unlike Pride, where they would have non-title matches for fun and tournaments with all their top guys and when people lost it was not as much of a concern; that is, keeping your record intact was not a priority; everyone (except Fedor) lost at one point or another and it just wasn't as big of a deal as it is now.

In today's UFC, despite DFW protesting many years ago that this is What is Wrong with Boxing Today

You have fallen prey to a common fallacy around these parts. The fact that a thread was made and a certain number fans say Magny was all hype does not mean anyone jumped off his bandwagon. When a fighter wins, his fans are more vocal. When a fighter loses, his critics are more vocal. It can seem like a lot of folks jumped ship, but that isn't usually the case.

Nonsense. Edgar got a title shot after three losses in a row. Diaz got a title shot off a loss. Sonnen got a title shot off a loss. Robbie Lawler is champ with ten losses. Pettis took two years to get a shot mainly because he was injured for a year during that interval.

Now that is just title shots. But the UFC often keeps guys around who have lost three or four fights in a row, especially if they are liked by the fans.

I respectfully disagree with all of this.

The Magny example was just that. There is thread after thread after thread here constantly running through the same cycles for almost every fighter. Fighter X is either on a big roll and set to steamroll the division and become the BEST or Fighter X has been exposed and is on the cusp of a major downward spiral. And don't forget my favorites, the "Was he really all that good?" threads about fighters at or near the end of their careers.

As to the second part, its the selectivity to which the idea is applied that is the main issue. Some fighters get special treatment for what ever the reason, justified or not, while others suffer a poorly timed defeat that leaves them in the weeds for extended periods.

To me, the UFC just feels plastic, cheap, impermanent, all flash with no substance, a highly polished turd, if you will, and then you take the issues I have with their business practices, and it's no wonder I avoid getting too invested in the sport. It's too bad, too, because I love MMA. I still watch but it's not as much fun as it used to be.

Ayyy lmao

Pride had WAYY more pro wrestling antics than UFC

if anything the TMZ crowd would've loved PRIDE even more with the "chute boxe vs BTT" or "fedor avenging his brothers loss" or minowaman superhluk storylines

Depends what you mean by "antics" I spose, Pride definitely put on more of a pro wrestling style show visually and definitely had more fights that they didn't even try to disguise as being booked for sporting reasons.

In terms of "fueds" though we got vastly less in Pride with only those that developed from real animosity like Wanderlei vs Arona and Rampage being pushed hard. The UFC has manufactured dozens of fake "fueds" in order to sell fights.

In terms of booking I think the UFC has often tended to focus more on protecting its big names. In Pride if there was a really big fight or a matchup viewed as dangerous for a big name then generally that happened even if it involved someone moving weight class.

Can you imagine the UFC booking Chuck vs Arlovski in 2005? Pride had no problem booking Wanderlei/Crocop twice or Wanderlei/Hunt.

I'm as much a fan of PRIDE as the next guy, but I'm not letting its dazzling spectacles and postmortem romanticism blind me from seeing the shady shit that's thousand times worse than in the UFC.

The UFC front man acting like a child? Big fucking deal, the other guy were in league with the Yakuza.

Underserved UFC title shots? Shit, PRIDE doesn't even need it to be a title match!

UFC fighters getting caught with steroid? Ha! Steroids was an essential part of the complete PRIDE breakfast!

For virtually any bad thing one can say about the UFC, there's a far worse example in PRIDE. And yes, that includes the so-called "hype", with an army of tomato cans and bought fighters on the payroll to serve that purpose.

PRIDE was awesome, largely because we were a bunch of innocent, wide-eye kids who enjoyed their pro wrestling-inspired antics/brutality/spectacle, while completely clueless about the shady shit happening behind the scene.

Yes, I was passionate about PRIDE. Just like I was passionate about the World Wrestling Federation.

Last edited:
I'm as much a fan of PRIDE as the next guy, but I'm not letting its dazzling spectacles and postmortem romanticism blind me from seeing the shady shit that's thousand times worse than in the UFC.

The UFC front man acting like a child? Big fucking deal, the other guy were in league with the Yakuza.

Underserved UFC title shots? Shit, PRIDE doesn't even need it to be a title match!

UFC fighters getting caught with steroid? Ha! Steroids was an essential part of the complete PRIDE breakfast!

For virtually any bad thing one can say about the UFC, there's a far worse example in PRIDE. And yes, that includes the so-called "hype", with an army of tomato cans and bought fighters on the payroll to serve that purpose.

PRIDE was awesome, largely because we were a bunch of innocent, wide-eye kids who enjoyed their pro wrestling-inspired antics/brutality/spectacle, while completely clueless about the shady shit happening behind the scene.

Yes, I was passionate about PRIDE. Just like I was passionate about the World Wrestling Federation.

Hide. They'll be coming for you.

i think its really just that america is just not into mma as much as other countries are, if you look @ attendance records in modern UFC vs Pride, Pride wins almost every time, UFC throws fight night cards with near empty arenas and they only focus on promoting ronda and conor into the mainstream media outlets while there are EXTREMELY talented fighters just not getting the limelight

Depends what you mean by "antics" I spose, Pride definitely put on more of a pro wrestling style show visually and definitely had more fights that they didn't even try to disguise as being booked for sporting reasons.

In terms of "fueds" though we got vastly less in Pride with only those that developed from real animosity like Wanderlei vs Arona and Rampage being pushed hard. The UFC has manufactured dozens of fake "fueds" in order to sell fights.

In terms of booking I think the UFC has often tended to focus more on protecting its big names. In Pride if there was a really big fight or a matchup viewed as dangerous for a big name then generally that happened even if it involved someone moving weight class.

Can you imagine the UFC booking Chuck vs Arlovski in 2005? Pride had no problem booking Wanderlei/Crocop twice or Wanderlei/Hunt.

I agree on PRIDE not giving a fuck about protecting fighters which I miss dearly, but they definitely had manufactured drama/characters like how they originally sold rampage as a homeless man or when they originally tried to play up fedor and cro cops nationalities and add drama as their countries weren't getting along. or when pride showed fedor reacting to cc knocking out aleks to sell their fight etc.

I miss pride tho

Both Pride and the UFC clearly targeted pro wrestling fanbases, the differences between them do I'd say reflect the differences in pro wrestling in Japan and the US.

Pro wrestling in Japan whilst it had some WWE style presentation and sideshow "entertainment" had really always been focused on big fights that were mostly played pretty seriously with fairly down to earth action. That ment there wasn't really a stigma around it when it came to older fans so Pride didn't need to distance itself from that kind of presentation it just needed to shift from "realistic" fights to "real" fights.

In the US though you had a very different situation, pro wrestling had evolved in something based around much more cartoonish characters and fueds that was generally aimed at a younger audience. That left an opening for the UFC to be "grown up pro wrestling" with a somewhat more legit presentation a bit closer to boxing aimed at people who'd outgrown the WWE. Still though that ex WWE fanbase loved there fueds and were generally very easily led so whilst the sporting aspects is real the presentation/booking operates in a fashion not too dissimilar to the WWE building fueds and controlling as much of the promotion as possible.

What people forget as well is that in terms of western fans most of that Pride presentnation never made it to us, PPV's and DVD's weren't entire 7-8 hour shows they were mostly condensed fights with 8-9 covered in 3 hours, pure MMA goodness.

A lack of AC's was definitely a weakness in Pride when it came to medicals whilst whilst they seemed to happen weren't independent. In terms of PEDs I think its only very recently the UFC is getting close to serious and its not too long ago from a time were certain fighters(mostly big name americans) were allowed to use steroids. Generally I think there has been a hell of a lot more PED use in the past 7-8 years in the UFC than there was in Pride where it was likely limited to a handful of well known examples, guys with massive muscles for their frames have been much more common in the UFC.

In terms of judging/reffing I think the buck always stopping with Pride was good in some ways because it ment there wasn't any chance of using an AC as a scapegoat. If a decision favoured a big Pride name they would get called out on it, if the same happens in the UFC its just put down to poor judging. Plus of course these days the UFC are actually hiring a lot of the judges and refs themselves outside the US just like Pride, much of the fanbase don't seem to have picked up on that though.

Its the same with judging criteria, Pride's was MUCH clearer than the UFC's is today because it needed something more concrete to point to when matches like Nog/Ricco happened.

Last edited:

Excellent post! And I think the bolded section plays a huge part. Plus, we all remember things from our youth fondly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back