Will justin gaethje's new style....

J

Jpenwell14

In the later rounds? Assuming it ever gets there. I'm picturing more of the old gaethje as the fight presses on. But i don't think his opponents will recover enough from getting cracked in the first round to out pace and finish him. I could even see him winning some decisions this way.

I just wonder to be people find this new style to be as exciting as the old style?

I agree that hes likely to revert back to his old style when the going gets tough and slug it out.

In the later rounds? Assuming it ever gets there. I'm picturing more of the old gaethje as the fight presses on. But i don't think his opponents will recover enough from getting cracked in the first round to out pace and finish him. I could even see him winning some decisions this way.

I just wonder to be people find this new style to be as exciting as the old style?
The mans never had a single boring fight since he got here. He’s always looking to finish, or go to war. Those are two tactics I’m always down to watch.

Do people find the new style exciting?

Three straight round one KOs...

Yeah, we’re cool with it.

1. It’s not unfair to take a wait-and-see approach to how he fares in deeper waters. I look forward to finding out.

2. Most fans cannot discern the subtle changes he’s made, so no, they won’t judge him.

JustBleedthje will not be able to help himself.

Guy smells blood and just says fuck it, let's trade bombs brah.

I agree that hes likely to revert back to his old style when the going gets tough and slug it out.
Any fighter will revert to their wheelhouse once they get tired and get hit in the head enough times, Gaethje probably will default to his violent brawling IF someone can hurt him and get him tired.

But his recent performances show a guy who has learned new habits.

He didn’t change his ways for a long time because he didn’t need to, he was still winning. Now he has learned he has to fight smart and use angles and deception to win at the higher level, and make no mistake about it, Justin wants to win.

Gaethje.... decision? I'm not sure what that means<23>

He still says he doesn't want to go the distance even once in the UFC so what do you think?

Do people find the new style exciting?

Three straight round one KOs...

Yeah, we’re cool with it.

Key word is as. As in do you think him slugging it out is as exciting as him waiting for the knockout punch. Simple question

Key word is as. As in do you think him slugging it out is as exciting as him waiting for the knockout punch. Simple question
I find it much more exciting honestly.

He showed lot of heart before but Gaethje 2.0 is an apex predator.
He picked up angles, baiting, deceptive rhythm quickly and has delivered devastating results.

He always had the power, but now he is setting traps that allow that power to land and doing so in a more efficient manner to preserve his energy and brain should he need to fight longer.

The crazy thing is he’s still landing a ridiculous amount of sigfincant strikes in that short amount of time

something like

40 sig strikes in 4 mins vs cerrone
20 in 2 mins vs barboza
10 in 1 min vs Vick

the guys “slower more, calculated” pace is still throwing twice as much volume as everyone else

Gaethje is a god

1. It’s not unfair to take a wait-and-see approach to how he fares in deeper waters. I look forward to finding out.

2. Most fans cannot discern the subtle changes he’s made, so no, they won’t judge him.

BRUH, you're so cool.

BRUH, you're so cool.
No.

But for a year, JG had been telling everyone that he had changed his style after his last 2 losses. Picking his shots more, brawling less, punching harder, and expects to win fights easier because of it.

Now pick any thread from just prior to his last fight...

...and most sherdoggers had no clue. They had to be told. In every thread.

Let's revisit this the week prior to his next fight. You'll see it again, I'm quite sure.

Then again, maybe he hasn't done a goddamn thing, is trolling us, and then some of us see changes we're looking for but aren't actually there ;)

Last edited:
Old style or new style, he is still KOing people! I love his old brawling style, but I am a fan of his and I want to see him win and not get brain damage. I seriously doubt we will see him in a boring fight ever.:)

I'm still confused on what changes people think he made? He's just been able to finish his last 3 opponents quickly and his opponents haven't made it a dog fight like others have. MJ, Alvarez and Poirier all met him head on. JG still walks forward constantly, throws leg kicks and big punches. Literally nothing in his strategy has changed, his opponents lately have just been backing up and trying to move away but Justin does a good job of cutting you off quickly and making contact. Again, I see nothing new, just him being able to finish his last few fights quickly against guys who weren't aggressive.

The style will work in any round. The question is whether or not he has the patience to stick with it. Only time will tell.

I think this is a far more leaner and dangerous Gaedje. In his fight with Cowboy, he was staying out of range, with excellent lateral movements side ways (left and right) and backwards. Plus he was able to get in to range and throw a lethal leg kick, setting him up for a perfect jabs and right crosses. This is scary for the rest of the division, because he now not using his head to get into attack range.

With this style he may even pose Khabib problems (but I don't see him beating the champion).

The crazy thing is he’s still landing a ridiculous amount of sigfincant strikes in that short amount of time

something like

40 sig strikes in 4 mins vs cerrone
20 in 2 mins vs barboza
10 in 1 min vs Vick

the guys “slower more, calculated” pace is still throwing twice as much volume as everyone else

Gaethje is a god
Exactly, I wouldn't even really call it a more patient style, it's just more deliberate and skilled. Used to just put his head down in a high guard, and counter once he felt physical contact. Now he just uses his own setups instead of basically bulldozing until he feels his opponent try to respond

I'm still confused on what changes people think he made? He's just been able to finish his last 3 opponents quickly and his opponents haven't made it a dog fight like others have. MJ, Alvarez and Poirier all met him head on. JG still walks forward constantly, throws leg kicks and big punches. Literally nothing in his strategy has changed, his opponents lately have just been backing up and trying to move away but Justin does a good job of cutting you off quickly and making contact. Again, I see nothing new, just him being able to finish his last few fights quickly against guys who weren't aggressive.
They way he sets up his attacks has very drastically changed. Old strategy was head down, high guard, wade in toward opponent. Feel their punch/torso touch his high guard, release hooks, finish the combo with leg kicks as he felt them move away. Now he actually uses his eyes, stays out of range, is able to use footwork to get in range and has been able to actually lead his fights instead of being a pressuring counter fighter

Back