Will Jones alter his stance?

xenomorph4prez

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Considering Cormier is on a completely different level in the grappling department than anyone Jon has faced to date will Jones adapt a less upright posture for his stance to aid takedown defense? If Jones alters his stance in this way do Cormiers odds of connecting with a big shot improve?

Jones is goin full penn footwork.

ReflectingAdeptAsianelephant.gif

Never go full penn footwork

Aren't taller guys typically more susceptible to be taken down? Jones keeping guys at range and the fact that he is a great grappler have kept him from being taken down but I think when faced with a wrestler of DC's pedigree he could be more susceptible to be taken down and would try to fortify himself in some way. DC is a great wrestler with a low center of gravity and Jones long legs present a lot of real estate to a guy like that.

He'll be going for a bit of a hobble

Jones is goin full penn footwork.

ReflectingAdeptAsianelephant.gif

Never go full penn footwork

I still haven't watched that fight. I honestly don't think BJ should retire off that fight as from what I've seen it was bizarre. Ridiculous game plan combined with an awful weight cut.

I still haven't watched that fight. I honestly don't think BJ should retire off that fight as from what I've seen it was bizarre. Ridiculous game plan combined with an awful weight cut.

If you watch the fight then you would think that Penn needs to retire. A 4th fight between them wouldn't even be sanctioned. Frankie is astronomically far ahead of him now.

As far as the thread goes when Jon fought Jake O'Brien he altered his stance. It went well. It was wider than it normally is.

Jones is not going to change anything although the haters would like him to. Jones will punish Cormier from long range. Cormier will not be able to close the distance enough times and land enough before getting picked apart and damaged.

Last edited:
If you watch the fight then you would think that Penn needs to retire. A 4th fight between them wouldn't even be sanctioned. Frankie is astronomically far ahead of him now.

As far as the thread goes when Jon fought Jake O'Brien he altered his stance. It went well. It was wider than it normally is.

I agree if BJ came back he doesn't belong anywhere near Edgar but I'd like him to go out in a better way than whatever that atrocity of a performance was.

TS, against most wrestlers (good ones at least) many fighters will adopt a lower, wider stance with their weight more up front to help with stuffing shots and sprawling quicker. So, I'm quite sure that we'll see Jon using something similar. By crouching more than usual he'll be open more to head kicks specifically but the pay off could be a lot larger than any risks it gives (and it does give some and limits others). Being lower in stance helps a fighter absorb strikes better too since their bodies are more "coiled" for the impact, as one fight analyst so nicely put it.

Jones is not going to change anything although the haters would like him too. Jones will punish Cormier from long range. Cormier will not be able to close the distance enough times and land enough before getting picked apart and damaged.

That scenario is definitely a possibility. When I think of Jon's previous opponents I can't imagine getting in grappling range doing much for them in the way of taking Jon down. If DC gets close enough to body lock or grab a leg I think it will be a different story which should worry Jon enough to at least consider switching something up.

TS, against most wrestlers (good ones at least) many fighters will adopt a lower, wider stance with their weight more up front to help with stuffing shots and sprawling quicker. So, I'm quite sure that we'll see Jon using something similar. By crouching more than usual he'll be open more to head kicks specifically but the pay off could be a lot larger than any risks it gives (and it does give some and limits others). Being lower in stance helps a fighter absorb strikes better too since their bodies are more "coiled" for the impact, as one fight analyst so nicely put it.

I agree with all that which leaves me to believe we will see a different posture than normal from Jones and as you say the altered stance has pros and cons which DC has factored into his game plan I'm sure.

Jones doesn't have great foot work or head movement to begin with because he has been able to get away with it so far do to his length and upright stance but if he crouches for optimal takedown defense how much will his movement suffer?

the only thing i expect is jones not to try as many flashy moves really cant wait to see how this plans out i think its such an intriguing fight

He will adopt the Fetal position for most of the duration until Daniel administer the final anesthetic!

I agree with all that which leaves me to believe we will see a different posture than normal from Jones and as you say the altered stance has pros and cons which DC has factored into his game plan I'm sure.

Jones doesn't have great foot work or head movement to begin with because he has been able to get away with it so far do to his length and upright stance but if he crouches for optimal takedown defense how much will his movement suffer?

It really depends on how low and wide he gets. Fighters that 'fight tall', like Gustafsson, are able to move around easily and quickly with full range of motion not effected because they're more upright to begin with, but aside from blocking head kicks, a more upright stance like that isn't optimal for blocking and absorbing strikes, it opens you up to potentially getting knocked down more easily (especially if they're rushing in and you're backing up on a straight line bolt upright). Jon will probably find a happy medium and get low enough to have the benefits without getting too low or wide, which could impact his mobility much more.

Back