Rumored Will Johnny Walker improve?

I really hope so. It would be great to have a generation of brazilian champions with Costa, Pereira and Walker.

Walker is very chinny, he doesn't like getting hit at all, as soon as someone lands on him he closes his eyes and pulls his head back, he doesn't react well at all. Thats not even mentioning his ground game.

If Walker is on top then he can look really good and flash, but if someone starts fighting back and landing on him he reacts so badly.. I'm not convinced of his chin.

It's the wrong camp for him. He has a style that should be reinforced. Work on the athletic moves. And wrestle to keep it standing. Like at AKA. He's never gonna be a technical striker. He is what he is and it works, if done well. If you take out GSP Tristar has few good wrestlers. It's like trying to teach Travis Browne to abandon brawling which got him to the dance and be all textbook. The result is worse.

Unlikely, but that's not a problem - the UFC should pump the brakes and stop giving him higher ranked guys. Let him fight guys like Prachnio, Antigulov etc for a while and build up some confidence and possible improvements. He's a highly fun fighter to have around.

An even bigger part was that he wasn't fighting great competition.

His nonsense might have worked against dudes with no wiki pages and then a few journeymen in the UFC, but it's never going to work against the better fighters.

People were seriously talking about how this guy was going to run through Jones lol, but he can't throw a jab and has no clue what he's doing on the ground.

like i said, Jon Jones can't throw a jab either. he doesn't fight fundamentally sound. he throws oblique kicks as his jabs, has a practically non existent boxing game, and uses spinning elbows.

i was one of those people who thinks he can beat Jones, i still think he can. when you're as big and explosive and unpredictable as he is, he can literally KO anyone in the LHW division. the same people who shit on Johnny Walker also act like Khalil Rountree is some kind of muay thai assassin, not even acknowledging that Walker completely destroyed him.

it definitely can work against higher level competition. Misha Cirkunov is ranked 10th in the division right now and Walker dispatched him in 36 secs. Walker just needs to dial in his timing and his distance control and he can beat anyone at LHW in striking.

you're acting like the top LHWs are as skilled as the top WWs. the top LHWs aren't that far away from him skill wise.

like i said, Jon Jones can't throw a jab either. he doesn't fight fundamentally sound. he throws oblique kicks as his jabs, has a practically non existent boxing game, and uses spinning elbows.

i was one of those people who thinks he can beat Jones, i still think he can. when you're as big and explosive and unpredictable as he is, he can literally KO anyone in the LHW division. the same people who shit on Johnny Walker also act like Khalil Rountree is some kind of muay thai assassin, not even acknowledging that Walker completely destroyed him.

it definitely can work against higher level competition. Misha Cirkunov is ranked 10th in the division right now and Walker dispatched him in 36 secs. Walker just needs to dial in his timing and his distance control and he can beat anyone at LHW in striking.

you're acting like the top LHWs are as skilled as the top WWs. the top LHWs aren't that far away from him skill wise.

Yeah, I just don't see it in Walker, man.

I agree that he can KO anyone in the division, but that isn't saying much, and that doesn't mean he actually will be able to. Like, with Cirkunov. He's not the best fighter, but he's not terrible, and he just stood there at range with Walker and let him do his thing. Nikita on the other hand, knew what Walker's game was and just wrestlefucked him for a pretty comfy win. Anderson crowded him and shut down his flashy, wild offense.

Now that fighters know what to expect, I just can't see how these sorts of losses won't just keep happening again and again the higher up the rankings he goes. He'll likely never fight Jones now, but a guy like Jones would have almost certainly wrestled him from the get-go I think.

Walker doesn't seem to want to make any changes to his style either. He's been pretty clear on that, despite the two back to back losses. That's a bit worrying and I hope that mindset changes somewhat. He can still be wild and smart at the same time. I think Michel Perrera is a great example. His bullshit worked until he ran into Tristan. Next fight against Diego he didn't mess around at all and dominated. Then on the weekend he mixed the flash up with plenty of normal, smart fighting. I'd like to see Walker do the same. I'd wager he could be really successful like this. Hard to see the flash coming when it's mixed in with fundamentals.

He has so much potential to improve, but that doesn’t mean he will. And he will always be an accident waiting to happen. He will always be a fun fighter to watch though

He’s got close to zero fight IQ and he camp jumps like a frog on lily pads. If he’s not carefully managed by the UFC he will burn out on losses, and then comfortably damage the regional scene a bit. He’s seems like a drifter grifter, blowing in on the winds of some wicked knock outs, winning the hearts of the fans before dipping out like the fraud he really is.

I'm gonna go with no considering it's a sport where you get punched in the face and his jaw is glass.

Not to mention his last fight his overall skill set looked like shit, he got out grappled by a striker. Lol.

He is like a Melvin guillard style glass cannon but with less skills

Yeah, I just don't see it in Walker, man.

I agree that he can KO anyone in the division, but that isn't saying much, and that doesn't mean he actually will be able to. Like, with Cirkunov. He's not the best fighter, but he's not terrible, and he just stood there at range with Walker and let him do his thing. Nikita on the other hand, knew what Walker's game was and just wrestlefucked him for a pretty comfy win. Anderson crowded him and shut down his flashy, wild offense.

Now that fighters know what to expect, I just can't see how these sorts of losses won't just keep happening again and again the higher up the rankings he goes. He'll likely never fight Jones now, but a guy like Jones would have almost certainly wrestled him from the get-go I think.

Walker doesn't seem to want to make any changes to his style either. He's been pretty clear on that, despite the two back to back losses. That's a bit worrying and I hope that mindset changes somewhat. He can still be wild and smart at the same time. I think Michel Perrera is a great example. His bullshit worked until he ran into Tristan. Next fight against Diego he didn't mess around at all and dominated. Then on the weekend he mixed the flash up with plenty of normal, smart fighting. I'd like to see Walker do the same. I'd wager he could be really successful like this. Hard to see the flash coming when it's mixed in with fundamentals.

i agree with everything you said, but Jon Jones couldn't even wrestle a MW with no knees, if Johnny Walker gets his shit together, and that is a big IF, i think he could beat a lot of guys.

He could, but at this point, he'll have to dedicate his entire life to skill development and cardio improvement to get there. I haven't seen anything from him to make me think he's doing that.

I honestly forget about him at this point. His hype train got derailed by the 2 straight losses. He can always make a comeback tho. But I like Spann, so I'm not rooting for him.

I think people forget he dislocated his shoulder in his celebration, he was on a tear before and lost the 2 straight after..

Its hard coming back from a shoulder dislocation, when you use expolsive movements like walker. It would have knocked his confidence in his shoulder massively.

I think without that injury we would have still been on the hype train. I think you saw in his fight with anderson that he wasnt the same fighter mentally.

I know from personal experience how devatating a shoulder dislocation is to a fighter its a very serious injury. It massively affects your confidence in being able to use that arm effectively.

Strange seeing him in Ireland drinking Guinness etc

Back