Will Joanna Jędrzejczyk move to 125 to fight Valentina?

Make it happen for UFC 228. Joanna could replace Nicco for belt.

I think Dana mentioned before that it's impossible to replace fighters at the last minute, if they fail at the weigh-in (like the day of the weigh-in). There's paperwork that needs to get done to approve a fighter to fight on a card, and there's also the issue of making weight. Basically JJ would probably weight around 130-135 right now, and couldn't make 125, even if she could get licensed to fight Valentina in time. And who knows where JJ was in the world -- she might not even be able to make it to Texas on one day's notice.

This is why the UFC has started paying standby fighters to make weight and have paperwork completed, if anything happens. They just did it with the wrong fight -- who knew Till would make weight and Nicco wouldn't. What a world we live in.

I think Dana mentioned before that it's impossible to replace fighters at the last minute, if they fail at the weigh-in (like the day of the weigh-in). There's paperwork that needs to get done to approve a fighter to fight on a card, and there's also the issue of making weight. Basically JJ would probably weight around 130-135 right now, and couldn't make 125, even if she could get licensed to fight Valentina in time. And who knows where JJ was in the world -- she might not even be able to make it to Texas on one day's notice.

This is why the UFC has started paying standby fighters to make weight and have paperwork completed, if anything happens. They just did it with the wrong fight -- who knew Till would make weight and Nicco wouldn't. What a world we live in.
Nope it won't happen, mainly, because Shevchenko have to fight in near future: 2-3 months. UFC should have backup and they didn't.
Second, there's no prestige in 125 lbs division, they stripped current champion, so even TUF competition and rankings based on that are pointless. At this point there's no division, and what next? Winner of this matchup vs Eubanks/Moddefferi/Carmouche? Very exciting. This division is compromised right now and nobody will move there from 115 or 135 division and for sure no fighter with any brand name will do it. It's wasteland.
They can make Shevchenko vs Paige right now and nobody will care, and it will be great for Shevchenko's popularity.

Nope it won't happen, mainly, because Shevchenko have to fight in near future: 2-3 months. UFC should have backup and they didn't.
Second, there's no prestige in 125 lbs division, they stripped current champion, so even TUF competition and rankings based on that are pointless. At this point there's no division, and what next? Winner of this matchup vs Eubanks/Moddefferi/Carmouche? Very exciting. This division is compromised right now and nobody will move there from 115 or 135 division and for sure no fighter with any brand name will do it. It's wasteland.
They can make Shevchenko vs Paige right now and nobody will care, and it will be great for Shevchenko's popularity.

Well that's not going to happen. PVZ is coming off of 2 straight losses. The UFC have definitely not always followed rankings, but I've almost never seen a fighter get a title shot off of 2 straight losses (last minute replacements wouldn't count). And it's not like she was even ranked highly... she's 1-3 in her last 4.

JJ needs to call Rousey out!

If it wasn't for the massive size difference, that'd be a smart move. Rousey is looking like she couldn't even make 135 anymore. She'd be way too big for JJ.

Well that's not going to happen. PVZ is coming off of 2 straight losses. The UFC have definitely not always followed rankings, but I've almost never seen a fighter get a title shot off of 2 straight losses. And it's not like she was even ranked highly... she's 1-3 in her last 4.
I don't know but like I said it's UFC's problem right now. They could start this division 1 year ago with JJ/Shevchenko instead they almost forced JJ to stay at WSW and Shevchenko was fighting as WBW, right now both fighters are in low points (lost twice to current champion mainly because of weight cutting, one undersized one got crisis with weights cut to point when she is not cutting water) and this matchup won't serve justice like it could. Timing is everything and UFC failed with 125 lbs division.
So clearly UFC wanted to stay Joannaas 115 lbs to build some fighters on her (Tecia failed) and now they will ask her to fight Shevchenko for example in November, make 1month camp and build up body for this? I'm sure JJ is company woman, but I think there are lines, she won't cross and she fought 4 times between Mai 2017 and July 2018 (every 4 months) and need time to recover.
But that's just my opinion, probably if money will be right it can happen.

So clearly UFC wanted to stay Joannaas 115 lbs to build some fighters on her .. I'm sure JJ is company woman, but I think there are lines, she won't cross and she fought 4 times between Mai 2017 and July 2018 (every 4 months) and need time to recover.

I'd agree the UFC smell blood in the water, and want to feed JJ to build other fighters. And with the vacant 125 belt, there's no better place to put her than against Valentina.

Certainly JJ has fought a lot recently, although that's more of a statement of how pathetic MMA has become at the top level. Fighters SHOULD be fighting every 4 months. Belts should be defended 3x a year. Fighting should be a full time job... 2-3 months of camp + fight, 1 month off, rinse and repeat -- 3 fights a year. It's really sad when we consider a champion that consistently fights 2x a year to be "very active".

Too many top contenders and champions are just sitting out, waiting for title shots or holding belts to make more sponsorship money.

JJ vs Valentina is the only relevant title fight in 125lb division right now.
Would JJ wanna fight someone who already beat her in pure stand up several times now with a ground game on top of that where Valentina is also dangerous now?
Stylistycaly not a good fight for JJ but would be an a exciting (and the only one in this division now) fight for sure.

I hope so. 125 doesn't have many potential match ups that I look forward to seeing at the moment.

Calderwood is coming off a win. She said she’d like to fight again ASAP.

Joanna really doesn't have a future, at least currently, at 115. She lost 2x emphatically to Rose and probably won't get a 3rd fight any time soon. And 125 really doesn't have too many strong contenders. I think she could make a case for a shot at the vacant 125 belt against Valentina.

What do you guys think?
Pretty sure she’s lost to Valentina in Muay Thai as well. So I’d like to se how she’d do in mma

I Hope this fight will not happened. This is equivalent of Khabib moving out from 155 to fight Woodley. Tyron is too big, too strong, too explosive, too intelligent and even more to it.. Shev has everything i mentioned + cardio. Fuck off Dana and leave my Joanna alone.

It's nothing like Khabib vs Tyron

JJ and Bullet have fought three times already..... I don't think there has been a lot of growing or shrinking going on since then.

JJ has losses to avenge and that could even be used to promote the fight.... Don't think JJ wins, but we will and so will JBG

I'd agree the UFC smell blood in the water, and want to feed JJ to build other fighters. And with the vacant 125 belt, there's no better place to put her than against Valentina.

Certainly JJ has fought a lot recently, although that's more of a statement of how pathetic MMA has become at the top level. Fighters SHOULD be fighting every 4 months. Belts should be defended 3x a year. Fighting should be a full time job... 2-3 months of camp + fight, 1 month off, rinse and repeat -- 3 fights a year. It's really sad when we consider a champion that consistently fights 2x a year to be "very active".

Too many top contenders and champions are just sitting out, waiting for title shots or holding belts to make more sponsorship money.
As i said I don't think there's some prestige in 125 lbs division, and you don't need belt to make this fight, after some thoughts I'm pretty sure it can happen if money will be right for JJ.

If it wasn't for the massive size difference, that'd be a smart move. Rousey is looking like she couldn't even make 135 anymore. She'd be way too big for JJ.

Based on his performance against Nunes it would be very easy fight for JJ.

There is more chance of the Loch Ness Monster being elected Prime Minister of the UK than there is of Gollum stepping to Bullet again.

She already whipped that a** 3 times and after Rose humbled her Gollum wants none of Valentina no mas.

Back