Will Jacobs fight the man GGG ducked?

Update per Dan Rafael

After the IBF stripped Gennady Golovkin of its middleweight title for failing to meet mandatory challenger Sergey Derevyanchenko (12-0, 10 KOs), 32, a 2008 Olympian from Ukraine, it ordered Derevyanchenko to fight former secondary titlist Daniel Jacobs (34-2, 29 KOs), 31, of Brooklyn, New York, for the vacant belt. The order was made June 11 but Derevyanchenko promoter Lou DiBella and Jacobs promoter Eddie Hearn of Matchroom Boxing have gotten nowhere and DiBella on Monday sent the IBF a letter saying he would not participate in negotiations and asked for an immediate purse bid, which is allowable under IBF rules. On Monday, the IBF scheduled a purse bid for July 5 at 12 p.m. ET in its offices in Springfield, New Jersey. The fighters, who are both managed by Keith Connolly, would each receive 50 percent of the winning bid. They could still make a deal up to 15 minutes before the bids are unsealed. It’s a fight HBO, which has Jacobs under contract, is very interested in.
http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-40022423-4

I like DiBella, and Hearn... I'm disappointed that they couldn't get their shit together...... maybe they are hoping Epic buys it up :)

Haven't heard much since the ibf made Jacobs v Derevyanchenko fight fot the title

This would give the winner massive leverage

I agree with you. He ducked a great fighter like Derevyanchenko and picked on an easy, drug free, Ginger. Good call!

I agree with you. He ducked a great fighter like Derevyanchenko and picked on an easy, drug free, Ginger. Good call!
I agree on an easy drug free fighter but ginger? I don't see it . unless ginger to you means overblown 2 years since not fighting and coming from a loss

images

@Marc A not starting shit but out of interest whats your angle on Canelo? I appreciate both GGG and Canelo as boxers, and only dislike Canelo for the drugs shit and not a fan of his attitude outside the ring...do you dislike GGG or just think Canelo is a superior fighter?

@Marc A not starting shit but out of interest whats your angle on Canelo? I appreciate both GGG and Canelo as boxers, and only dislike Canelo for the drugs shit and not a fan of his attitude outside the ring...do you dislike GGG or just think Canelo is a superior fighter?
I think GGG is the better fighter, I feel Canelo is 1 weight class above optimum performance

I like both fighters , of course I want Canelo to win

I know Abel is a pos.

The winner of the IBF strap may lead
at a chance at the winner of Canelo v GGG

Angle? I guess a slight at those GGG fans now using the smart business move talk when before it was called ducking

I think GGG is the better fighter, I feel Canelo is 1 weight class above optimum performance

I like both fighters , of course I want Canelo to win

I know Abel is a pos.

The winner of the IBF strap may lead
at a chance at the winner of Canelo v GGG

Angle? I guess a slight at those GGG fans now using the smart business move talk when before it was called ducking

I dont like the term ducking because pretty much every fighter with >17 progressive wins and 0 losses begins to hand pick their opponents. They're all guilty of it. On the one hand it protects their business/livelihood but on the other makes it shit for fans at times. I think the problem with boxing is people need to stop giving a shit about the "O".

Noone would frown on GGG being beat by Canelo or vice versa if they fought a few times. Like La Motta/Sugar Ray...same goes for other good modern matchups. Cotto lost 6 times and I never hear people talking shit about him or his record.

I thought this thread would be about Will Jacobs. Remember him?
Haha, I thought the same thing when I saw the thread title.

Quit when he didn't get a mod position. Someone has to have that copypasta around here @Lethal

Do mods get paid nowadays?
lol no, but he took that shit serious anyway. Claimed he was a mod on some video game forum or something and was going to run off to that site full time where they respected his efforts.

lol no, but he took that shit serious anyway. Claimed he was a mod on some video game forum or something and was going to run off to that site full time where they respected his efforts.

Yeah I remember him saying that, lol. Maybe he's a Twitch streamer nowadays.

Haha, I thought the same thing when I saw the thread title.

Quit when he didn't get a mod position. Someone has to have that copypasta around here @Lethal

I'm not going to be posting anymore.

I know you're going to ask why, and it's due to a variety of things.

1.) I've been offered a moderator position at three other websites. One is a senior mod position. These will take up a good amount of time on their own and I had been putting off these offers for a while but they need my help and I won't turn them down any longer.

2.) In June, I'm going back to school for my master's degree.

3.) Before that happens I want to fight at least one more time before I retire and need to train.

4.) Undeniably, I'm just done. I've been lurking this forum for almost six years and I've been posting (and a lot of the time...trolling) under other accounts for about four. That all ended when I started this account. Ironically, this is the only one I've ever been completely myself on and the only one I've ever been dubbed on.

In the time I've been here, this forum has only progressively gotten worse.

The only MMA discussion outside of the plat forum seems to take place 90% of the time between uneducated casuals, assholes, or trolls and great posters are bant every year over trivial offenses. The OT was destroyed and then brought back as a shadow of what it was and now that they've removed video games for no good reason at all from the mayberry, the one subforum I personally worked my ass off to improve...I'm just done.

Nothing makes sense. And few things bother me more than when people have the power to make positive change refuse to do so.

The whole video game thing really was the last straw...most of you know how passionate I am about MMA and movies so it goes without saying when I tell you that I'm far more passionate about gaming...that really, really pissed me off. The fact that not one member of the staff, despite receiving dozens of PMs from me and after reading the petitions that hundreds of people signed could even provide a legitimate explanation for the decision, is ridiculous.

If you want to stay in touch, PM me with your facebook information or e-mail address.

Take care of yourselves,

Lethal.

Saying Golovkin ducked him is wildly misleading and inaccurate.
Not really. Deryevchenko was his mandatory, wanted the fight and Golovkin fought Vanes instead, leading to him getting stripped of his title.

Not really. Deryevchenko was his mandatory, wanted the fight and Golovkin fought Vanes instead, leading to him getting stripped of his title.
and if it hadn't been a 2 week replacement, you'd actually have a point. as it is, it's misleading to say the least.

and if it hadn't been a 2 week replacement, you'd actually have a point. as it is, it's misleading to say the least.
It had to be that date and that opponent right?

It had to be that date and that opponent right?
no, not at all. but if he's a late replacement, getting on GGG saying he's ducking is a bit rich. if IBF ordered golovkin to defend against deryevchenko, and he chose to fight vanes in september, i'd agree that he ducked. but that's not what happened. hell, even if they ordered him to defend against him and golovkin decided to fight canelo instead, i'd support their decision to strip him of the IBF title.

no, not at all. but if he's a late replacement, getting on GGG saying he's ducking is a bit rich. if IBF ordered golovkin to defend against deryevchenko, and he chose to fight vanes in september, i'd agree that he ducked. but that's not what happened. hell, even if they ordered him to defend against him and golovkin decided to fight canelo instead, i'd support their decision to strip him of the IBF title.

Well they did

Golovkin has to agree in writing before the Martirosyan fight that he will fight Deveryanchenko within 90 days (8/3) or he will be stripped.

Also he didn't have to fight on that date and could've extended a different date to fight a willing mandatory

But he choose the Canelo fight (smart move) and didn't want to risk a loss vs a live opponent (smart business move)

But he did avoid his IBF mandatory, that's a fact. Just because we have a favorite fighter doesnt excuse the action just like Canelo( luckily that fight was made)

Well they did

Golovkin has to agree in writing before the Martirosyan fight that he will fight Deveryanchenko within 90 days (8/3) or he will be stripped.

Also he didn't have to fight on that date and could've extended a different date to fight a willing mandatory

But he choose the Canelo fight (smart move) and didn't want to risk a loss vs a live opponent (smart business move)

But he did avoid his IBF mandatory, that's a fact. Just because we have a favorite fighter doesnt excuse the action just like Canelo( luckily that fight was made)
ducking implies fear. choosing to fight canelo, who is widely considered the best or second best middleweight over deveryanchenko does not seem like an action of a man who is afraid.

we all know what happened. i don't really see people complaining about IBF much, but trying to put a negative spin on it to smear golovkin is only a sign of prejudice towards him.

Well they did

He avoided his mandatory to face a better opponent. You guys can talk *duck* all you like if it makes you feel better but only the Canelo lovers are buying it.

ducking implies fear. choosing to fight canelo, who is widely considered the best or second best middleweight over deveryanchenko does not seem like an action of a man who is afraid.

we all know what happened. i don't really see people complaining about IBF much, but trying to put a negative spin on it to smear golovkin is only a sign of prejudice towards him.
To you ducking implies fear, to me it's just avoiding(for whatever reason)

Just placing facts (we for sure know what happened)
GGG decided to go for a more lucrative fight(smart) and duck, avoid to fight a low reward mandatory(take it how you want)

Now Danny ( a sherdog favourite) has an opportunity to get a belt and create leverage (maybe)

Last edited:
Back