Will I go to jail for this?

GTFO here with that BS. Your cousin’s talking out of his ass. Bank gives you the option to press charges or not.
No prosecutor's (let alone bank) gonna waste his time with a dad who’ll just say on the stand that actually he’d given the card and / or permission to his son and just plain forgot due to stress / age / medication. And that the bank and local DA's office went crazy.

And that remembering that the bank will almost definitely lose their client's present and future business. If for no other reason than just sheer embarrassment.

Guy left the bank and closed his accounts. Kid was arrested and charged. No idea if the DA took it to trial.

My understanding was/is most banks have close to a zero tolerance policy toward intentional fraud, and theft. It's one thing if your spouse makes a withdrawal you didn't know about and is an authorized person on the account. Accidents happen. This was repeated and intentional and reported as a crime. Maybe it's different elsewhere, but you can't just "my B" away several charges related to robbing a bank.

Dad died yesterday. Had no will, so his house and his $2,000 in the bank is all he had and I think that means it will go to probate court and likely be evenly distributed among me and my siblings.

But here's the question. I have his atm card and I know his pin. The bank doesn't know he's dead yet. I could theoretically go take that money out and use it to pay for some of the funeral expenses.

I'm kinda pissed at him for not making any arrangements ahead of time and leaving me to figure all this out and pay for the entire funeral out of my own pocket. I'd been reminding him to take care of this shit for years now and he didn't. He knew he didn't have long. So I feel like any money he has left should go towards his funeral.

2k is not enough, I'm still going to be on the hook for the rest, but it would help.

Anyhoo, I feel like even though I may have valid justification, that this might be illegal and get me into trouble.

@Law Talkin’ Guy

I believe it's legal to get money from an estate to pay funeral costs.

Not my area however.

Edit. Paper work and receipts required.

Guy left the bank and closed his accounts. Kid was arrested and charged. No idea if the DA took it to trial.

My understanding was/is most banks have close to a zero tolerance policy toward intentional fraud, and theft. It's one thing if your spouse makes a withdrawal you didn't know about and is an authorized person on the account. Accidents happen. This was repeated and intentional and reported as a crime. Maybe it's different elsewhere, but you can't just "my B" away several charges related to robbing a bank.

it’s not "robbing a bank" nor do banks consider it intentional fraud.

Source - one whole side of my family are involved in banking as a career. From being tellers to regional managers and above.
Have had this very conversation many times. It’s just embarrassing for the families involved. That’s it.

Kid probably just got a scare from the cops. Even the cops don’t like laying charges that they know won’t pass the DA's approval.

it’s not "robbing a bank" nor do banks consider it intentional fraud.

Source - one whole side of my family are involved in banking as a career. From being tellers to regional managers and above.
Have had this very conversation many times. It’s just embarrassing for the families involved. That’s it.

Kid probably just got a scare from the cops. Even the cops don’t like laying charges that they know won’t pass the DA's approval.

Ok

Lessons from Laundrie: Don't use dead person's ATM card or be charged with what Brian got charged with.

Go find estate attorney and ask for Letters of Administration or Letters Testamentary, death certificate, and that might enable access to the accounts to split according to state law.

Sorry for your loss, thoughts and prayers for you and your family during this difficult time.

Dad died yesterday. Had no will, so his house and his $2,000 in the bank is all he had and I think that means it will go to probate court and likely be evenly distributed among me and my siblings.

But here's the question. I have his atm card and I know his pin. The bank doesn't know he's dead yet. I could theoretically go take that money out and use it to pay for some of the funeral expenses.

I'm kinda pissed at him for not making any arrangements ahead of time and leaving me to figure all this out and pay for the entire funeral out of my own pocket. I'd been reminding him to take care of this shit for years now and he didn't. He knew he didn't have long. So I feel like any money he has left should go towards his funeral.

2k is not enough, I'm still going to be on the hook for the rest, but it would help.

Anyhoo, I feel like even though I may have valid justification, that this might be illegal and get me into trouble.

@Law Talkin’ Guy

Condolences bro
Don't touch the money

Back