Will I go to jail for this?

Thanks for the condolences. My relationship with my father was complicated to say the least, so if I seem cold that's why. He was an abusive father who later tried to make amends. Let's just say he got halfway there.

So am I sad, yes, but it's not the same as some of you who had good dads
my relationship with my ma was pretty complicated but she was still my mom and was still there when no one else was. I really miss her. Didn't have money for funeral or anything, had to cremate, didn't get an urn for nearly ten years. Money is the worst thing created by men.

I’m going through something similar, TS. My father is passing away from cancer. We knew since February but he never made a will. Now we are having to plan and pay for his funeral. It sucks. He is barely hanging on and I feel like he has still not come to terms with dying. It’s rough to watch.
It really is. I was lucky in a way with my mum that way before she got sick she left strict instructions and apart from refreshments after the funeral all paid for. The same with my step dad when he goes.

It really is. I was lucky in a way with my mum that way before she got sick she left strict instructions and apart from refreshments after the funeral all paid for. The same with my step dad when he goes.
people don't think about tomorrow. My mentor died 8 months ago, didn't even have money for a funeral, family had a go fund me. Even though the son was the reason for our split and probably the reason several million got fucked off, i sent 500 just so I can feel like I at least tried to be decent.

Thanks for the condolences. My relationship with my father was complicated to say the least, so if I seem cold that's why. He was an abusive father who later tried to make amends. Let's just say he got halfway there.

That's far.
Why do YOU have to pay for the funeral? Could your siblings pitch in?

Condolences for the whole situation, dude.

Hope you find some sense of peace/closure.

Yeah. Do it. Just say that was what he wanted you to do. That’s why he gave you the card and pin.

IDK why I always thought you were one of the richer sherdoggers.

I would not take the money but I don't know your financial situation.
I make 6 figures but honestly in California that’s not rich at all with the cost of living being so high.

You make a good point.

Are you a probate attorney?

His mom and his brother are still alive but they want the house to go to his kids. So they won't petition for any of it.

My one sister is great, reasonable, and will agree that I should take the money and pay for the funeral.

My other sister is a schizophrenic meth addict who may not even notice the money's gone. But she has a new boyfriend that seems fairly smart so it's possible that he figures out money is missing.

PS, I didn't take any money out, but I drove to the ATM and did a balance inquiry found out it's more like 10k, not 2k.

That could cover the entire funeral

I'm a Associate Justice for an Appellate Court.
And most people who know me here have known that for years..

If that means anything on sherdog karate forum.

In the Appellate Court Probates come up basically 85% of the cases we get.

Find an administrator, agreed upon.

Fill out the paperwork properly

Hope everyone agrees, and tell us what happened a little over a year from now .

Sorry for your loss. Me personally I would leave the money alone and go the cheapest route for funeral stuff cremation I think is the cheapest. No party nothing. That’s just me though I’m not sentimental about people dying. They are gone and I’m sure the last thing they want is for me to be financially burdened by it.

You make a good point.

Are you a probate attorney?

His mom and his brother are still alive but they want the house to go to his kids. So they won't petition for any of it.

My one sister is great, reasonable, and will agree that I should take the money and pay for the funeral.

My other sister is a schizophrenic meth addict who may not even notice the money's gone. But she has a new boyfriend that seems fairly smart so it's possible that he figures out money is missing.

PS, I didn't take any money out, but I drove to the ATM and did a balance inquiry found out it's more like 10k, not 2k.

That could cover the entire funeral

In an intestacy children take priority over siblings and parents so your grandmother and uncle wouldn’t get anything unless you and your siblings voluntarily renounced any entitlement to the estate.

I'm sorry for your loss, that is tragic.

I'm curious who would prosecute over something like this? Or would it be some kind of fee suffered if he were found out? Seems like a strange legal area.

Dad died yesterday. Had no will, so his house and his $2,000 in the bank is all he had and I think that means it will go to probate court and likely be evenly distributed among me and my siblings.

But here's the question. I have his atm card and I know his pin. The bank doesn't know he's dead yet. I could theoretically go take that money out and use it to pay for some of the funeral expenses.

I'm kinda pissed at him for not making any arrangements ahead of time and leaving me to figure all this out and pay for the entire funeral out of my own pocket. I'd been reminding him to take care of this shit for years now and he didn't. He knew he didn't have long. So I feel like any money he has left should go towards his funeral.

2k is not enough, I'm still going to be on the hook for the rest, but it would help.

Anyhoo, I feel like even though I may have valid justification, that this might be illegal and get me into trouble.

@Law Talkin’ Guy

Ya it's illegal i wouldn't do it.

I'd take it out and pay for the funeral. I'd keep the receipts and if anyone asks, I'd say Dad gave me his arm pain number and yolk me to pay his funeral expenses. You're not going to jail for this. Who's going to press charges? If anything it would be a civil matter.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Your problem will not be your sibling getting mad or even charging you. If the bank gets wind of a fraudulent withdrawal (e.g. a sibling innocently inquires about a posthumous withdrawal and they pull the footage) the bank WILL charge you. It will be a felony. I've never heard of any bank making exceptions for any reason.

My cousin worked at a bank that had this exact thing happen except the customer was alive. A customer reported unauthorized withdrawals. They pull the footage and it's his kid . He had been stealing the ATM card. Dad tried to smooth thing over and say it's ok I accept the charges, but it was too late. Kid was charged like he had robbed the place.

Last edited:
Dad died yesterday. Had no will, so his house and his $2,000 in the bank is all he had and I think that means it will go to probate court and likely be evenly distributed among me and my siblings.

But here's the question. I have his atm card and I know his pin. The bank doesn't know he's dead yet. I could theoretically go take that money out and use it to pay for some of the funeral expenses.

I'm kinda pissed at him for not making any arrangements ahead of time and leaving me to figure all this out and pay for the entire funeral out of my own pocket. I'd been reminding him to take care of this shit for years now and he didn't. He knew he didn't have long. So I feel like any money he has left should go towards his funeral.

2k is not enough, I'm still going to be on the hook for the rest, but it would help.

Anyhoo, I feel like even though I may have valid justification, that this might be illegal and get me into trouble.

@Law Talkin’ Guy

You should use it to buy a lifetime Sherdog Plat membership.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Your problem will not be your sibling getting mad or even charging you. If the bank gets wind of a fraudulent withdrawal (e.g. a sibling innocently inquires about a posthumous withdrawal and they pull the footage) the bank WILL charge you. It will be a felony. I've never heard of any bank making exceptions for any reason.

My cousin worked at a bank that had this exact thing happen except the customer was alive. A customer reported unauthorized withdrawals. They pull the footage and it's his kid . He had been stealing the ATM card. Dad tried to smooth thing over and say it's ok I accept the charges, but it was too late. Kid was charged like he had robbed the place.

GTFO here with that BS. Your cousin’s talking out of his ass. Bank gives you the option to press charges or not.
No prosecutor's (let alone bank) gonna waste his time with a dad who’ll just say on the stand that actually he’d given the card and / or permission to his son and just plain forgot due to stress / age / medication. And that the bank and local DA's office went crazy.

And that remembering that the bank will almost definitely lose their client's present and future business. If for no other reason than just sheer embarrassment.

You should go to the bank and say youd like to make a deposit and then just leave his dead body there.

Are your siblings taking on some if the responsibilities or are they too young?

Back