Will HW linear belt end with Cormier-Lesnar?

RogerD

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
i don’t see either guy fighting again after this match (unless they rematch), so either dude is walking away with the HW lineal belt. Are we in agreement here? Or is there a good chance the lineal belt will continue??

It’s a joke division in a joke promotion.

giphy.gif

I've never understood the brouhaha about lineal belts. Could someone educate me on why I should care?

Cormier will fight again if he wins.

DC is 40 and when that fight goes down he's going to make a cool $15M+ probably so why the hell would he fight again? The point of the fight was to have it as DC's retirement bout and after he rides off into the sunset with his biggest payday ever, which he deserves.

I see legit no reason why DC or anyone else would fight after that with his age and accomplishments. There's legit no better way to go out.

lesnar will destroy DC only to lose the lineal HW belt to ronda rousey at next year's wrestlemania

i don’t see either guy fighting again after this match (unless they rematch), so either dude is walking away with the HW lineal belt. Are we in agreement here? Or is there a good chance the lineal belt will continue??
Yup just like the fw ended with conor

So is DC attacking Brock at Wrestlemania tonight?

If so, I wouldn't be surprised to see Conor help Becky Lynch too.

DC is 40 and when that fight goes down he's going to make a cool $15M+ probably so why the hell would he fight again? The point of the fight was to have it as DC's retirement bout and after he rides off into the sunset with his biggest payday ever, which he deserves.

I see legit no reason why DC or anyone else would fight after that with his age and accomplishments. There's legit no better way to go out.
15M+ is quite the exaggeration though.

DC already should have been retired by now. He has nothing to prove really at this stage. But I am sure some LHW can stirr up the attention to get the fight.

DC already should have been retired by now. He has nothing to prove really at this stage. But I am sure some LHW can stirr up the attention to get the fight.

I don't think its an exaggeration. The PPV points those two will earn will be insane on top of a much higher base pay for both, Reebok pay (lol), and whatever few hundred grand they get for the after fight appearances at clubs at etc.

They estimated Nate & Conor raking in that much and I see no reason why DC or Brock would make less. They're going to pay both guys extremely well and you know Brock isn't going to fight cheap at this point in his career.

I know he still really wants to fight Jones again

I've never understood the brouhaha about lineal belts. Could someone educate me on why I should care?
Paper champions, most of the times they carry that moniker for a while cause they didnt beat the champion to get the belt.

Paper champions, most of the times they carry that moniker for a while cause they didnt beat the champion to get the belt.

Do they use that label for who didn't fight the champs because the champs aged out and retired? I only remember seeing it applied when the champ is temporarily out of the picture due to injury or suspension.

I think he is fighting because of the money he makes by fighting. It is called prizefighting btw.
And welcome to the real world, kiddo.

Have you ever the heard the term "To be the man you need to beat the man"? The lineal belt is based off that premise.

There are multiple times in MMA history where the #1 fighter in a division jumped ship to another promotion or division, was still considered the #1 fighter, and lost to another fighter. Making that new fighter the "real" #1 fighter, even if that fight wasn't for any particular belt. Fedor losing to Werdum is the most obvious example of that. Werdum became the #1 HW in the world after he defeated Fedor, but he didn't hold a belt in any promotion at all.

Based off of lineal titles, Fedor held them all, which is why he was so highly regarded at HW. He beat the man who beat the man, etc.

Last edited:
Do they use that label for who didn't fight the champs because the champs aged out and retired? I only remember seeing it applied when the champ is temporarily out of the picture due to injury or suspension.
Retiring with the belt doesnt really happen in MMA other than GSP, but most of the times applies for cases where the champ is still able to fight but a new champion was crowned whitout fighting him, it eventually goes away when belt is defended anyway.

Have you ever the heard the term "To be the man you need to beat the man"? The lineal belt is based off that premise.

There are multiple times in MMA history where the #1 fighter in a division jumped ship to another promotion or division, was still considered the #1 fighter, and lost to another fighter. Making that new fighter the "real" #1 fighter, even if that fight wasn't for any particular belt. Fedor losing to Werdum is the most obvious example of that. Werdum became the #1 HW in the world after he defeated Fedor, but he didn't hold a belt in any promotion at all.

Based off of lineal titles, Fedor held them all, which is why he was so highly regarded at HW. He beat the man who beat the man, etc.

I've heard the term, but only in discussions of what it takes to win a fight from a champion—i.e. the feeling that if the fight's very close the benefit of decision should go to the incumbent. That you need to truly beat him in order to win the title off him.

It's revealing that one needs the quotation marks around the world "real" to even explain your point. To me it sounds like quasi-mystical superstition, or like the nature of the allegiance of the Elder Wand in the Harry Potter books.

I wasn't into MMA at the time of Werdum subbing Fedor so I can't remember what the independent rankings were like then, but what little googling I've tried just now to summon them only coughs up a lot of talking why the win DIDN'T immediately confer #1 status on Werdum (because record etc). At any road I see very few people still arguing Werdum over Fedor in terms of greatness, so I don't know what real value the lineal belt confers anyway.

It's a part of history. Belts have a lineage and the people its gone through is the only objective way to measure that titles "prestige".

The current ufc hw title is pretty much an amalgomation of every hw title in every promotion. Its especially amazing with the hw belt because the first belt is merged with the current one. Unlike the ww, fw, mw, wfw titles which are on second lineages, and others that have not lost their lineage.

On topic to ts; yes. This may very well be the end of the ufc hw titles linage. Stipe will face ngannou for the new belt. The only way this lineage can contine is if jon jones fights dc at hw and carries that title on.

Last edited:
I've heard the term, but only in discussions of what it takes to win a fight from a champion—i.e. the feeling that if the fight's very close the benefit of decision should go to the incumbent. That you need to truly beat him in order to win the title off him.

It's revealing that one needs the quotation marks around the world "real" to even explain your point. To me it sounds like quasi-mystical superstition, or like the nature of the allegiance of the Elder Wand in the Harry Potter books.

I wasn't into MMA at the time of Werdum subbing Fedor so I can't remember what the independent rankings were like then, but what little googling I've tried just now to summon them only coughs up a lot of talking why the win DIDN'T immediately confer #1 status on Werdum (because record etc). At any road I see very few people still arguing Werdum over Fedor in terms of greatness, so I don't know what real value the lineal belt confers anyway.
It really comes down to when you started watching MMA tbh. If you're a newer fan the current UFC champion is essentially always the #1 fighter of that division.
10-20 years ago that was rarely the case, because talent was spread out between so many different promotions, so lineal belts had a little more meaning.

For example, when BJ Penn and Murilo Bustamante left to fight in Japan and fight in other divisions, who then becomes the #1 fighter on the planet of those divisions they left? The new UFC champion? The current PRIDE or Shooto champion? It's complicated. So lineal belts started to get tracked as a result.

Last edited:
Back