Will Holly Holm be labeled as powerful boxer when she fights Ronda?

I dont understand what the criticism of the UFC and Rogan is in this thread if they do take the boxing angle, which they most will. Fact of the matter Holm is a multiple time world champ and has a great boxing record. It presents a whole new challenge to Rousey she hasnt faced and it should be promoted this way.

I wonder, with Ronda being such a dominant grappler if focusing too much on the promotion of Holm's striking prowess will cause some to believe that Ronda can ragdoll her with her Judo.

Promoting Ronda seems to be different than promoting other fighters as she brings in so many viewers who do not watch much Mma outside of her fights.

"Ronda is the most dominant champion of our time, not just of womens MMA, not just of MMA but perhaps of the entire sports world. She hasn't just won of every opponent that has been put in front of her, but destroyed them in devestating fashion. But what Holly Holm is bringing to the table is unparalleled striking and one punch knock-out power that Ronda has never faced before. Holly Holm has that special combination of raw power, athleticism and technique that poses a threat to anyone in the division. Holm is a multiple boxing champion boxer with an incredible record and she'll surely put Ronda's stand-up to the test when they face eachother in the octagon."

I will likely not be watching the fight live, but I will read up on it the following day.
Anything to avoid the post fight interview.

I wonder, with Ronda being such a dominant grappler if focusing too much on the promotion of Holm's striking prowess will cause some to believe that Ronda can ragdoll her with her Judo.

Promoting Ronda seems to be different than promoting other fighters as she brings in so many viewers who do not watch much Mma outside of her fights.

I think what the promotion will do is get people excited for this fight. Now, we are hardcore mma fans so we know the reality of the fight and promotion. We're not going to fall for any of the promotional gimmicks the UFC throws at us.

However, the casual mma fan will be led to believe that Holm is by far the best striker Ronda has faced and is a serious threat. You're going to get people that think she will KO or beat Ronda based on her background in boxing. With the casual fans I think the result will be that the Ronda supporters will claim she will easily sub her, and the Ronda haters will claim that Holm will outstrike her. And everyone in between wont know what will happen.

The UFC has to play both angles and make both fighters look good to sell the fight. They have to hype Holm to sell the challenge, otherwise people wont care. Whenever you get a dominant champ like this, half the people want to see them lose

This is what happened we she faced skilled boxers, go to 3:30 if you're in a hurry.

I think she is still a better boxer than Ronda though, but we won't see much boxing, she'll obviously get armbarred in the first 30 sec.

[YT]iwDHXErdBjo[/YT]

Joe Rogan's commentary during her debut was terrible. I don't he had ever seen her fight before, like he was expecting a female Hagler or something.
Joe has some kind of odd fixation with MASSIVELY overrating the WMMA fighters. And I don't mean simple courtesy or respect, but totally bizarre stuff like saying Ronda's a once-ever transcendent human being and apparently the same with Holly. I'm not sure what's going on or if someone told him to do it. But obviously a lot of people are sick of it.

This is what happened we she faced skilled boxers, go to 3:30 if you're in a hurry.

I think she is still a better boxer than Ronda though, but we won't see much boxing, she'll obviously get armbarred in the first 30 sec.

[YT]iwDHXErdBjo[/YT]

Is that the tko loss? You know right after that they fought again and Holm won right?

I have no friends who react to comments like this.

Promotion is an accepted part of this sport, and pretty much anything on TV. Even if it's exaggerated.

I'm genuinely curious if you guys are arguing with Rogan as he commentates. It's just another guy talking, you should be capable of forming your own opinions and being confident with them.

She will be called the most dangerous striker in the division

[YT]iwDHXErdBjo[/YT]

She beat her in a rematch the next fight by decision, 7 to 3, 7 to 3 and 9 to 1. Mathis is a big power puncher, most of her wins come by KO.

Holly Holm looks like she'd be good at baking muffins... Ronda in under a minute.

Cyborg, Nunes, maybe Pena... the only fighters I'm interested to see Ronda take on.

Holly Holm looks like she'd be good at baking muffins... Ronda in under a minute.

Cyborg, Nunes, maybe Pena... the only fighters I'm interested to see Ronda take on.

I hope you're joking? Have you seen her build, she is built like an athlete.

There was a rematch. Holm won.

She'll be labeled as a great boxing talent and the best striker Ronda's ever seen, which is fair. They'll probably oversell it a bit in typical Dana/Rogan fashion, but her credentials are legit.

I think she has a better shot than most believe. Fans are hung up on the lack of power in her couple UFC fights, and ignore her patient, strategic style of fighting that you don't see much in WMMA. Not even from Ronda... Unlike Bethe, this is also an even matchup in terms of size and athletic ability.

I hope you're joking? Have you seen her build, she is built like an athlete.

I didn't say she's good at EATING muffins... I said baking them. It's more of a comment on how she's nowhere near the animal Ronda is, not nearly as aggressive or fierce... and she'd probably be better off baking muffins.

Oh, for sure.

"Holly Holm is EASILLLLYY the most dangerous woman Ronda has ever faced, Mike. This woman is the greatest female boxer on the planet with serious punching power" (while highlight video shows her pawing at chicks with jabs).

She'll probably be labeled best female boxer off all time. They always try to make Rousey's opponents seem like they are so much greater than they really are.

[YT]iwDHXErdBjo[/YT]

Is that the tko loss? You know right after that they fought again and Holm won right?

First of that was a KO loss not a TKO, and did you watch the second fight ?
I did, she ran away the all fight, didn't have any power, all the powerful shots were from Mathis. But the judges still gave her the win, for the same reason the referee dismissed the first knockout at round 6.

Last edited:
That vid of the Mathis fight that keeps being posted to discredit Holm is actually doing the opposite.

What I see is grit that is second to none. The ref was an incompetent POS for letting the fight go on when Holm was clearly out on her feet and unable to defend herself. She never stopped trying though, and now back in the fight game, hard working and hungry as ever. Not many fighters male of female can come back after an absolutely brutal beating like that.

Mark my words, in the promo vids Rogan will say something along the lines of, "Holly Holm is one of the best pure strikers in the UFC, period." Guarantee it.

Holm is a good boxer but not powerful. She has pretty powerful kicks though and had finished a number of fights with them.

With that being said if Ronda goes charging in recklessly with her chin exposed like she did against Bethe I have no doubt Holm can hurt her with a punch.

Back