Will Gus try takedowns vs Rumble?

Phil Davis is a can, old man Nogiera has more mileage than Hendo, gun shy Arlovsky hasn't been relevant since he fought Fedor. Crumble needs to go back down a weight class or three, the guy has a frame reminiscent of Melvin Guillard who fought at 155. I'm really concerned for AJ's well being by fighting at an unnaturally higher weight than he should, he's liable to get maimed in the octagon.

Troll

It's outdated and no longer applies is what it is. You're referencing an event that happened a half decade ago, while Gustafsson was a part-time fighter. That'd be like me bringing up Rumble's losses to lightweight Clementi, welterweight Koscheck and middleweight Vitor. Gustafsson may try to mix it up but his plan will be to knock him out not try to wrestlefuck the guy.

Brother if he fought and they recorded it as part of his record it's relevant, don't matter two shits if you choose to acknowledge it or not. I don't know why you getting so bent when Gus himself said he used that fight as turning point to learn wrestling in fact training with Phil who beat him to learn wrestling, learned that little tidbit from one of them Countdown Shows.

You may not think it's relevant because it was 5yrs ago but it was relevant enough for Gus to go seek Phil's help.

Brother if he fought and they recorded it as part of his record it's relevant, don't matter two shits if you choose to acknowledge it or not. I don't know why you getting so bent when Gus himself said he used that fight as turning point to learn wrestling in fact training with Phil who beat him to learn wrestling, learned that little tidbit from one of them Countdown Shows.

You may not think it's relevant because it was 5yrs ago but it was relevant enough for Gus to go seek Phil's help.

It has no relevance on how you think his fight with rumble would go if you're using it to gauge approximately where gustafsson's wrestling is right now. A better example to use would be his amazing tdd vs jones.

im 6'3 and when i stood next him we were at eye level.

Gus is not standing tall here, Rumble is

10425408_10152887678784479_8009367689790091815_n-730x486.jpg

It has no relevance on how you think his fight with rumble would go if you're using it to gauge approximately where gustafsson's wrestling is right now. A better example to use would be his amazing tdd vs jones.

And where in what I wrote said that? Simply stated Rumble can wrestling that's his first skill, eluding that Gus is new to wrestling. In no way whatsoever do I think that Rumble intends to wrestle with Gus to win this fight, unless it goes that way. And that's where my reference to wrestling came in.

Get it clear Rumble intends to tear the vikings head off and send his body adrift in his long boat. Wrestling is not Rumble's first plan...

From clinch positions quite possibly, be good to see if Rumble gets pass the reach of Gus and show he can compete with Bones as well

If he can take down Bones he can take down Rumble

Or will it be pure striking?

[YT]fKpWuF1nSAI[/YT]

Pure striking. Gus has excellent lateral movement for a guy his size, and he'll put it to good use against Rumble. This is a bad matchup for Rumble, and will set him back a good deal in his quest for a title shot.

I don't understand anyone picking Rumble to win this. It's a terrible matchup for him.

Pure striking. Gus has excellent lateral movement for a guy his size, and he'll put it to good use against Rumble. This is a bad matchup for Rumble, and will set him back a good deal in his quest for a title shot.

I don't understand anyone picking Rumble to win this. It's a terrible matchup for him.

And how does Gus's excellent lateral movement bother Rumble? Rumble as no issue with his foot movement, agreed Gus will need a lot of movement standing flat footed in front of Rumble is not suggested. And what exactly makes Rumble a bad match-up for Rumble if you could explain.

You also gloss over the fact that it's a far bigger fall for Gus lose than it is for Rumble.

Painfully stupid response to his post.

The first time he gets tagged he'll probably try. Can't wait or this fight.

I think it would be a bad idea not to, even if just to keep him guessing.

I think it all depends on how well the striking game will go and if Rumble will try to clinch up with him. If Rumble does that I can definitely see Alex going for a well timed trip or takedown.

If he'll be able to outstrike Rumble from the outside and make him sloppy after a couple of rounds I can see him take him down and go for a submission as well.

Of course he will, and I think he will get them. He took down Jones and in retrospect that was super impressive.

I think his biggest advantage in this fight will be his foot work and movement.

Johnson is powerful, but slowly plods forward and doesn't move fast with his feet. I think Gus takes a late sub win or UD.

I think he will but I dont know if he is going to get it.

Striking becomes much more dangerous when your opponent is worried about TDs.

Are we pretending Johnson is a better wrestler than Jones now?

If he can take down Bones he can take down Rumble

This. Gus would be foolish not to pursue the takedown, even if only to plant the seed.

Though gameplan wise, you might say the same of Rumble.

Probably,but wont get it. It will be striking battle for most part
I have gus late sub(rnc,just like rumble likes it)

Nope. He has seen how badly Davis failed trying to do that. But if he is winning the standup battle then maybe Rumble will try to take him down.

Back