Will Gus Ever Hold The LHW Belt?

Jones beat Gus at 70% and with a severely injured toe and still almost finished Gus, in the rematch he is gonna destroy Gus.

But but he said his toe was 100% percent before the fight. I don't know what to believe the 100% percent toe or the 70% Jones performance? Fighters never lie... do they?

Of course Gus has a good chance - it would be delusional to deny that after the last fight.

But I suspect the rematch will play out a little differently, and less in Gus' favor. I suspect Jones will double down on forcing the takedown and following strikes in for the next several months in training camp. And I think next time Gus faces Bones, he's going to have to deal with more dynamic takedown attempts. Gus will probably be fine (which is far better than most) if Jones lands in his guard, but it won't take long for Jones to capitalize on a dominant ground position.

Gus avoided the takedown with his footwork and by being in good position/having good technique to defend telegraphed lunging TD attempts from the outside. And Jones couldn't strike his way in because he's never had to against an opponent before. I can practically guaranty Jones is working on this now and will be until the rematch. Whether it will be enough to get the fight to the ground early and often, I can't say for certain. But I suspect it will.

Of course Gus has a good chance - it would be delusional to deny that after the last fight.

But I suspect the rematch will play out a little differently, and less in Gus' favor. I suspect Jones will double down on forcing the takedown and following strikes in for the next several months in training camp. And I think next time Gus faces Bones, he's going to have to deal with more dynamic takedown attempts. Gus will probably be fine (which is far better than most) if Jones lands in his guard, but it won't take long for Jones to capitalize on a dominant ground position.

Gus avoided the takedown with his footwork and by being in good position/having good technique to defend telegraphed lunging TD attempts from the outside. And Jones couldn't strike his way in because he's never had to against an opponent before. I can practically guaranty Jones is working on this now and will be until the rematch. Whether it will be enough to get the fight to the ground early and often, I can't say for certain. But I suspect it will.

Not going to happen, Gustafsson improves fight to fight faster than anybody I've ever seen.

He has an excellent chance take it. Anyone who thinks otherwise is trolling.

I believe Jones won the first fight, but it was close. I've always thought Gus was very good, but as a long-time Jones fan, I really came to respect Gus after this fight.

Great post, I completely concur.

Neither Glover nor Cormier has a chance at beating Jones. And once their fights are over, I see a Jones-Gus rematch late next year. Whether Gus can win is a tossup.... but he's the only one who can.

Disagree. I believe DC has a decent shot at beating Jones as well as Gus.

He's just the undeclared Champ in my book. He could retire tomorrow, and he could retire knowing that he went in there and whooped Jones' ass, and it was only a bunch of Zuffa drone judges that gave Jones the win.

The first time I seen Gus fight I said he's gonna be the one to put JJ away. He was so close, but yeah I definitely see him being a LHW champion maybe even in 2014

Back