will guard game work in a street fight?

i would much rather get a take down and go on mount but if i was on my back id try to switch to mount but if i see an opportunity for a submission i would take it.

I love my guard but I wouldn't wanna be there in any fight. In the street if I got slammed I'm gonna attack with submissions or sweeps as quickly as possible.

personally if i'm on my back i would sweep to top and gnp a few times to stun/disorientate, then run the fuck away

Concerning the triangle groin bite:

This is actually much harder to pull off than it might seem. Try it sometime with your girlfriend. If you start seriously applying the triangle, it gets very tight and there isn't much room to turn the head. Your opponent also starts passing out very quickly.

If you get desperate, you can grab your opponent's head and gouge the eyes to push the head back while you are applying the triangle. Most people will be discouraged from biting you if doing so means they will gouge out their own eyes in the process.

I'm not saying that the triangle is a really sweet self-defense move, but I don't think that the commonly discussed biting counter is as effective as it initially seems. I like triangles, and I also like these questions of realistic application, so I've done some empirical research on it.

"Honey, come here. I'm doing some empirical research. Put your head between my legs and try to bite me in the groin area..."

Nice work, Balto! Thanks!

will pulling guard and triangles work, if kicking your balls or biting is allowed in a fight?

my .2 cents
If your fairly good in Jiu-jitsu going against some one who doesn't train, I would like to think you would get the take down. (Unless he is bigger than you or you get rocked and thats why your on your back)

So if your on top, you should be able to control your opponent. Anything that he does, you should be able to do the same, if not worse. Bitting shouldn't be a problem unless you got your fingers in or around his mouth...then it actually can be a problem. Someone bitting your arm while your adrenaline is pumping would be pretty painful but thats it. You would be able to bite him back just as hard or stick your thumb in his eye or something.

People always says stupid stuff like if you put some one in a triangle they could bite your balls....no...no they couldn't unless maybe if you screw up and they have there chin down. But, if he did, You could feasibly take both thumbs and jam it in his eyes as hard as you can and there is almost nothing he can do to stop it. I guarantee...anything he was doing to you..he would forget about and stop.

Knowing jiu-jitsu doesn't limit from doing cheap shit...its just puts you in better positions to do cheap shit if it comes down to that. :)

Concerning the triangle groin bite:

This is actually much harder to pull off than it might seem. Try it sometime with your girlfriend. If you start seriously applying the triangle, it gets very tight and there isn't much room to turn the head. Your opponent also starts passing out very quickly.

If you get desperate, you can grab your opponent's head and gouge the eyes to push the head back while you are applying the triangle. Most people will be discouraged from biting you if doing so means they will gouge out their own eyes in the process.

I'm not saying that the triangle is a really sweet self-defense move, but I don't think that the commonly discussed biting counter is as effective as it initially seems. I like triangles, and I also like these questions of realistic application, so I've done some empirical research on it.

^^ Ah, there you go. I should of read all the post before I posted.

how is your opponent going to bite you if his arm across his face? here is a newsflash most if not almost all of the population does not know grappling.

One on one it will, if you know your shit.

Against multiple attackers, no.

Only part of your guard game you should consider using in a street fight, in my opinion, is the part that allows you to stand your ass up.

PS. If you aren't practicing standing up from your guard in the gym, you're fuckin' up.

If you did pull guard I would suggest escaping via an omoplata or just locking it in and throwing punches at the guy's head

Didn't read other replies.

No one should ever pull guard in a fight. The guard is like a safety net. If you get knocked down from a punch or taken down or rolled or find yourself on your back from a failed takedown attempt on your own, the guard is there to catch you and keep you from getting annihilated.

If you get tackled and wind up on your back, the guard is a hell of a lot better than cross-side or mount.

Pulling guard though, not the greatest idea.

Will it work in a street fight? Well... if your arm will break from an armbar in the academy, it will break on the street, too.
I would rather not be on my back, especially if there is more than one attacker, though.

If you did pull guard I would suggest escaping via an omoplata or just locking it in and throwing punches at the guy's head

vertical elbows ftw.

along with all the other posts about you should get on top, but if shit happens...

I agree, I wouldn't pull guard in a street fight. But I don't know about people who say, "never go to the ground" in a street fight. First off, I don't know what people mean by street fight. Like your gang and his gang circle around and you guys fight in the middle in a parking lot....what do you mean. It could happen on a bus, in the bathroom, in a bar, in a locker room. You might have all your friends and he might have none, could be the other way around. Who knows. But I know why I would take it to the ground in a street fight...BECAUSE I KNOW I'M A LOT FUCKING BETTER THAN HIM ON THE GROUND, 9/10 TIMES. All you guys who say, "Always keep it standing" must be Chuck Liddell or something because you seem very confident that you wanna slug it out with anybody you should happen to fight with.

That being said, the very first thing I'll be looking for is a big slam or double leg, and then my stay on the ground might be very brief, and he might stay down there for a while.

will pulling guard and triangles work, if kicking your balls or biting is allowed in a fight?

You got to remember that the guard is for guarding yourself. It's not really a good position to be in in a fight, though of course there are some options from it (more if you happen to be fighting with rules against groin shots). The way I look at it, it's better than the alternatives if you do happen to get taken down. However, get back to your feet as soon as possible. There's never just two guys in a streetfight anyway, at least, not for long.

I agree, I wouldn't pull guard in a street fight. But I don't know about people who say, "never go to the ground" in a street fight. First off, I don't know what people mean by street fight. Like your gang and his gang circle around and you guys fight in the middle in a parking lot....what do you mean. It could happen on a bus, in the bathroom, in a bar, in a locker room. You might have all your friends and he might have none, could be the other way around. Who knows. But I know why I would take it to the ground in a street fight...BECAUSE I KNOW I'M A LOT FUCKING BETTER THAN HIM ON THE GROUND, 9/10 TIMES. All you guys who say, "Always keep it standing" must be Chuck Liddell or something because you seem very confident that you wanna slug it out with anybody you should happen to fight with.

That being said, the very first thing I'll be looking for is a big slam or double leg, and then my stay on the ground might be very brief, and he might stay down there for a while.

i agree. situation will dictate, but in the "1-1 with no friends" i'm going to go with what i know. i'm not going to pull guard, i'll try to stay on top, but like i said "shit happens."

Back