Will GSP ever finish another opponent?

AresDesideratus

Green Belt
Reaction score
Not trolling but do you think GSP will ever finish another opponent before he retires?

Honestly? I don't see it happening until he's no longer champ.

Meh, he's fought a lot of guys who are tough to finish. The only guy he really should have finished and didn't was Hardy, who didn't belong in the same ring with him.

Meh, he's fought a lot of guys who are tough to finish. The only guy he really should have finished and didn't was Hardy, who didn't belong in the same ring with him.

Shields was finished.

As were Alves/Koscheck, etc..

Jones and Silva have also fought guys who were supposedly hard to finish, and they finished them with ease. Silva has finished guys who had never been finished before as well.

Doubtful. His best chances among the current crop of contenders are Hendricks and Ellenberger due to their propensity to gas. So he could potentially get a late sub or positional TKO. But I wouldn't bet on it. Great fighter. Poor finisher.

Probably not, he just has no killer instinct now.

He had his chance against Hardy who has been finished a few times.

No, he won't go for subs since that would risk losing dominant position, and he won't go for KOs because as soon as he hurts or wobbles someone he shoots for a takedown and establishes dominant position.

GSP will never finish anything again, even his meals are often left unfinished.

Nope not his fighting style to finish. He doesn't try to finish and he's not going to fight Serra or any other light weight fighter. Plus I only think he has 1-2 fights tops after Hendricks.

If he ever fought Ellenberger I think he'd either finish or get finished. For the most part GSP has fought durable guys.

Saying that GSP should have finished a guy because somebody else did is also not very instructive. GSP isn't going to ever jump on a guillotine like Lytle or Kampmann, that's not a part of his game, and GSP isn't a one-punch knockout type guy either, it's just not in his skill set. The kinds of guys GSP is going to finish are guys who can't keep up with his pace who end up getting ground and pounded to death.

he could...
and he should...
still probably won't.

Most the guys he's fought are really durable guys. He probably should have finished Hardy and probably Alves by subs but most those other guys are rarely or never finished. Condit, Diaz, Fitch, Shields are all really tough to finish.

Back