Will CM PUNK really be that popular?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by ivory suit, Aug 7, 2015.

1. ivory suit

ivory suit Purple Belt

I'm from London so not really upto date with all the WWE stuff. I used to watch ultimate warrior and hulk Cogan as a kid, but as I became a teenager I soon forgot about WWE.

With all the talk of cowboys stadium super cards etc, lots of people on sherdog have suggested that putting CM PUNK on the card would help sell the card and break PPV records etc

So, is WWE really that popular with grown men and are there likely to be millions of fans who would buy a UFC event just to see CM PUNK?

I honestly thought that WWE was for children?

2. Patrick Jane

Patrick Jane Purple Belt

Yes, it is and yes, there are.

No, it is not.

3. cumafish

cumafish Silver Belt

He wasn't nearly ready to step into the cage when he was signed, he's as cold as baby poop now.

4. fearoth

fearoth Silver Belt

Nope. His hot ass wife will be there though and it's all that matters.

5. trblesome1

trblesome1 Silver Belt

Watching UFC tonight rerun on FS1 right now and it says "UFC Welterweight contender CM Punk joins us" as one of the coming up things

Hahaha

6. Fight Professor

Fight Professor Gold Belt

I think UFC is missing out on not getting more coverage on Punk's progress on a televised reality show.

It would made him more well known to non-WWE fans and show what it takes even for an established athlete to be competitive in MMA.

7. fightdonttweet

fightdonttweet Banned Banned

He'll bring in some eyeballs but he won't be a star. Brock was a special case. Batista and Lashley went into mma but they aren't stars either.

8. effedup

effedup Silver Belt

No pics? WTF!!

And no TS.. He'll go down in James Toney type fashion. Gonna get hit in the face and thrown on the ground and know that this shit is real.

9. NeverAgainPlaya

NeverAgainPlaya Purple Belt

I think too much time is passing to capitalize the way the UFC could have. He'll still draw a lot of attention, but the big buzz is gone. That's not really Punk's fault, as he needed time to develop. I think the UFC should have kept his signing a big secret, let him get his year or so of training in, prep him a fight, then make the big announcement. Had they handled it like that, I think he'd draw significantly more than he will by the time he finally does fight, after we've had a year or so to let the excitement and intrigue run dry.

10. fearoth

fearoth Silver Belt

[​IMG]

11. Royhalibut

Royhalibut Blue Belt

Firstly, Hulk Cogan ? Nice one.

Secondly, I think most people on here would like to see the Punk get punk'd. It was an interesting story several months ago, but I think all hope is lost now.

Lastly, I think many WWF fans will still want to see him and may buy a card just for him. No UFC fan will buy a card just for him. If it is a card at Cowboys stadium, they will put a few epic matchups on there and make it one of the all time best cards on paper anyways i'm sure.

Do you remember Triple H (****er Hearst Helmsley) ?

edit: c unter hearst helmsley (joke failed, apparently c un t is a blocked word?)

12. Paradigm

Paradigm Gold Belt

at least let the man get in some amateur smokers before his pro debut in the biggest org in the world.

not everyone can be Matt Mitrione...

13. iwhoopedbatman

iwhoopedbatman Fox Hunter Extraordinaire

He brings a built in audience with him and most MMA fans want to see him destroyed. In terms of getting eyes on him, he'll do fine.

14. Sac423

Sac423 Brown Belt

Yes we get it. You don't like WWE and you think that makes you cool. Disparaging WWE and their fans makes you think you are a total badass too.

CM Punk won't get millions to buy the PPV. He will get millions interested in what happens though. He will bring more buys for the PPV. Thousands.

15. NeverAgainPlaya

NeverAgainPlaya Purple Belt

I don't disagree with that at all. But it was clearly a ratings play by the ufc and I think they REALLY mis-timed things.

We'll see what happens. I'm hoping Punk develops some real skills, gets to fight a very low end guy and has the chance to actually win his debut. The dude has balls jumping into the deep end of the pool at this point in his life. He's clearly got some juice, and a successful showing would have the MMA world reeling. If he wins, he definitely reignites a lot of the fire that's died down since signing him.

16. HereticBD

HereticBD Titanium Belt

Obvious attempt to troll WWE fans is obvious.

17. Bacco

Bacco Silver Belt

[​IMG]

18. Tylerlikesmma

Tylerlikesmma Brown Belt

I literally had no idea who he was before news that he would fight in the UFC started coming out, & now I'm a little interested in how this whole freak show will play out.

19. ivory suit

ivory suit Purple Belt

Not at all, I'm being genuine. WWE isn't popular at all in England and certainly wouldn't be considered a sport to rival boxing or MMA. It's seen as more of kids entertainment.

Just wondered how he could be so popular with people who buy PPVs (adults)

20. DarthChen731

DarthChen731 Gold Belt

Hulk Cogan