Will Chandler be considered the best LW in the world if he wins the UFC title?

I think MMA media & most people on Sherdog would not consider him to be the best LW in the world, even if he beat Charles. I think same is true of Derrick Lewis, even if he beats Francis, he is champ but many people would not view him as the absolute best HW. Lewis might be the underdog vs half of the top 10

Dude that Pitbull fight was such a Fluke Loss. You people should really let that go, Pitbull put one clean shot behind the ear and dropped him. That's it. Had that not of happened, I guarantee Chandler woulda whooped that ass... BUT, Shoulda Coulda Woulda.

Michael Chandler, if he beats Charley Olives, is the best LW in the World. Dustin & Conor aren't even #1, Olives is the true #1 Contender. Khabib is gone, so who else would be the best??

Huge fan, but no. He'll need some title defenses to fight some of the other guys in the division. But he's top 5 for sure.

If Poirier beats McGregor again then Chandler has to defeat Dustin to be considered the best, Dustin is number 1 in the division right now for a reason

Connor is the best LW in the world....at least in Dana's fantasizing mind.

I think Chandler will be both of them

There is some sugar in Poirier's tank, and Connor is a proven quitter can't win in Rounds 1 or 2.
I doubt it. He has a better chance of beating Conor than Poirier (mostly because Conor is washed up/appears to have aged much worse), but I doubt Conor wins this upcoming fight.

I doubt it. He has a better chance of beating Conor than Poirier (mostly because Conor is washed up/appears to have aged much worse), but I doubt Conor wins this upcoming fight.

I agree Poirier has the best LW resume of wins, right now, of active LWs.

But he's not going to out wrestle Chandler, and I think Chandler hits hard enough to knock "pea head" out cold.

Both Poirier and McGregor will have a reach advantage over Chandler. Chandler has proven he can be KO'd early, so McGregor might have a shot.

Although Chandler is new to the company, he's no stranger to high-level competition.

If the fight goes into the trenches, I think Chandler is more of a man than Conor, and as a personality, he is also a better speaker than Poirier. (Poirier is always stiff, and awkward, and I don't like listening to him.)

To me, Chandler is an all-rounder. He's a fighter's fighter, he comes to win, has Hollywood looks, on top of which he is truly well-spoken when given a microphone.

Obviously, the UFC knows this, which is why they're giving him a title shot on his second appearance for the company. They need a marketable front-man, and the UFC also knows that Conor McGregor proved himself to be fool's gold, and not champion material. (The UFC is basically giving Conor "his last chance" with a quick-turnaround fight w/ Poirier.)

It is clear as day that the UFC is trying to replace Khabib with the second-most marketable fighter available to them, and that right now is Michael Chandler.

Last edited:
The UFC can never be the NFL or NBA

It's closer to the WWE, or Boxing as a business model

Guys like you don't get they are just different business models, they could never, and will never be the same

There's a reason it's called THE FIGHT BUSINESS

If you want to understand it more, look at all the history of wrestling the past 100 years, it's the exact same thing the UFC does, except the UFC is real... and Wrestling used to make a looooot of money, and be a lot more popular

I'm not debating the difference in business models but in popularity. My argument is that the UFC's appeal will always be limited in part to a lack of competitive ar
The UFC can never be the NFL or NBA

It's closer to the WWE, or Boxing as a business model

Guys like you don't get they are just different business models, they could never, and will never be the same

There's a reason it's called THE FIGHT BUSINESS

If you want to understand it more, look at all the history of wrestling the past 100 years, it's the exact same thing the UFC does, except the UFC is real... and Wrestling used to make a looooot of money, and be a lot more popular

I'm not debating the business model, but the popularity of the sport. Even with their current model, I think the UFC and MMA by extension could become much more popular if they treated their product with more integrity. If you want to say it's limited by its business model, let's use the golf comparison. Golf is more similar to the UFC in its model, and it is possibly the most boring sport in the world, but a hell of a lot more people care about it more than MMA. There are plenty of reasons for this I'm sure, but how the PGA treats their tournaments is likely a major contributor to the sport's viewership. Imagine if the top golfer in the world just decided to not compete in the Master's because he can make more money playing against a borderline retired star, and the PGA encouraged this while still promoting the Master's tournament. I'm almost certain every major golf fan would politely lose their s***. Meanwhile, we MMA fans put up with this on a regular basis, and we cynically disregard it as just a byproduct of the "fight business". I can only hope that the PFL continues to take off because they're the only organization I see that's trying to implement integrity in its structure.

It takes multiple title wins to be the best in the world. Clean out the division and all that.

mine win just makes you the champ, you need to prove it a few times.

Back